Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Threading a barrel

Discussion in 'NFA Weapon Discussion' started by MacBookProAR, May 25, 2009.

1. MacBookProAR

MacBookProAR Stayton Member

Just curious before I take this down to my barrel threader what anybody's thoughts are on this one.

I have a 30-06 that I want to thread for my can that is awaiting paperwork. The barrel is exactly 9/16 thick where it needs to be threaded. My question is this since I'm not familiar with doing the actual threading. Is 9/16 x 24 even possible on this barrel if it is already just 9/16 thick?

Again, I haven't taken it to someone and plan too I'm just looking for some general direction before doing so as today is a holiday.

2. mxitman

mxitman N. Seattle Member

No expert here but generally when cutting threads you need the barrel at least 1/16" larger than actual finished size but maybe it will work.

3. Keane

Keane Hillsboro, OR Active Member

Well, it depends, the suppressor /whatever would have to index on the muzzle, not a shoulder.

I have a Cz-75, which has a .502-d barrel, which is cut for 1/2-28. It can cut the threads, but not have a viable shoulder.

I THINK that the 1/2 (or 9/16") is actually a measurement of the OUTSIDE of the threads, not the inside, so it can be threaded. talk to Mike @Tornado Technologies, he is the best one in the country to ask about this stuff.

4. torpedoman

torpedoman land of corrupt politicians Member

the INDEX ON THE BORE IS THE MOST CRITICAL THING> failure to do this will result in bullet strikes and a ruined can.

5. Keane

Baffle strikes, but yes. I figure if he is going to a reputable threading shop, they will be able to properly index it.

An interesting point brought up though: If your bore is not properly centered currently, you will not be able to have the threads cut.

6. mgd

mgd Milwaukie,OR Member

The major diameter(outside diameter) of a 9/16 threaded shaft is 9/16. As was said earlier, you cannot have a shoulder to but against. I am not a gunsmith, but I am a toolmaker.

Good luck!:thumbup:

7. terrylf72

terrylf72 Portland, Oregon, United States Member

Here is an idea.. Instead of having your weapon threaded have it set-up like a Knight Armament can, with the 2 locking pins; (push button release) or maybe a 3 barring retention system; just a couple other ways you might look into..

http://www.knightarmco.com/mk_11_suppressor.html

Terry

8. MacBookProAR

I've emailed with a few and hopefully will get an expert answer soon (not that I don't appreciate your guys' help). I hadn't thought about the bore not being lined up with the OD and that would pose a problem.

I figured as much, but had to ask since what I'm hearing is that 1/2 x 28 makes to thin of a barrel wall on the end of the barrel, but then again it is going to have a flash hider on it all the time threaded tight so I would think that would make it just as strong as original if not better.

Good thought, but I'm pretty sure doing that will cost more than I want to pay to suppress this one gun, and Knights probably has that system patented and won't want to let me use it to mount my YHM can! :D

Thanks all for your help I will let you know as I get closer to having the work done what I find out.

9. krawl

krawl Oregon Member

Probably the simplest solution- find a heavy barrel for your gun. If the barrel is already 9/16 other option i've seen is threading barrel smaller, then making an adapter that would give you a shoulder to mount against.

10. MacBookProAR

Yeah I tried to go the thread smaller route and use an adapter but do far have been met with oposition to threading a 30-06 smaller than 9/16 in the first place. I haven't totally given up yet though and hopefully someone will have a solution for me besides getting a different barrel.

11. Keane

Ya, common threads for a 30 cal is 5/8x24 or so, so 9/16 is already going smaller than he most likely should.

12. MacBookProAR

I had a smith here in town call up YHM and they said that threading 1/2 x 28 and using their .223 adapter in 1/2 x 28 bored out to 30 cal is totally doable and what they suggested doing, but now I'm not sure that I want to run the risk on this gun or just wait to build something in 30 cal with using this suppressor in mind. 300 Win Mag Anyone?