JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just curious before I take this down to my barrel threader what anybody's thoughts are on this one.

I have a 30-06 that I want to thread for my can that is awaiting paperwork. The barrel is exactly 9/16 thick where it needs to be threaded. My question is this since I'm not familiar with doing the actual threading. Is 9/16 x 24 even possible on this barrel if it is already just 9/16 thick?

Again, I haven't taken it to someone and plan too I'm just looking for some general direction before doing so as today is a holiday.

Well, it depends, the suppressor /whatever would have to index on the muzzle, not a shoulder.

I have a Cz-75, which has a .502-d barrel, which is cut for 1/2-28. It can cut the threads, but not have a viable shoulder.

I THINK that the 1/2 (or 9/16") is actually a measurement of the OUTSIDE of the threads, not the inside, so it can be threaded. talk to Mike @Tornado Technologies, he is the best one in the country to ask about this stuff.

Well, it depends, the suppressor /whatever would have to index on the muzzle, not a shoulder.

I have a Cz-75, which has a .502-d barrel, which is cut for 1/2-28. It can cut the threads, but not have a viable shoulder.

I THINK that the 1/2 (or 9/16") is actually a measurement of the OUTSIDE of the threads, not the inside, so it can be threaded. talk to Mike @Tornado Technologies, he is the best one in the country to ask about this stuff.

the INDEX ON THE BORE IS THE MOST CRITICAL THING> failure to do this will result in bullet strikes and a ruined can.

the INDEX ON THE BORE IS THE MOST CRITICAL THING> failure to do this will result in bullet strikes and a ruined can.

Baffle strikes, but yes. I figure if he is going to a reputable threading shop, they will be able to properly index it.

An interesting point brought up though: If your bore is not properly centered currently, you will not be able to have the threads cut.

The major diameter(outside diameter) of a 9/16 threaded shaft is 9/16. As was said earlier, you cannot have a shoulder to but against. I am not a gunsmith, but I am a toolmaker.

Good luck!:s0155:

Here is an idea.. Instead of having your weapon threaded have it set-up like a Knight Armament can, with the 2 locking pins; (push button release) or maybe a 3 barring retention system; just a couple other ways you might look into..

<broken link removed>

Terry

Baffle strikes, but yes. I figure if he is going to a reputable threading shop, they will be able to properly index it.

An interesting point brought up though: If your bore is not properly centered currently, you will not be able to have the threads cut.

I've emailed with a few and hopefully will get an expert answer soon (not that I don't appreciate your guys' help). I hadn't thought about the bore not being lined up with the OD and that would pose a problem.

The major diameter(outside diameter) of a 9/16 threaded shaft is 9/16. As was said earlier, you cannot have a shoulder to but against. I am not a gunsmith, but I am a toolmaker.

Good luck!:s0155:

I figured as much, but had to ask since what I'm hearing is that 1/2 x 28 makes to thin of a barrel wall on the end of the barrel, but then again it is going to have a flash hider on it all the time threaded tight so I would think that would make it just as strong as original if not better.

Here is an idea.. Instead of having your weapon threaded have it set-up like a Knight Armament can, with the 2 locking pins; (push button release) or maybe a 3 barring retention system; just a couple other ways you might look into..

<broken link removed>

Terry

Good thought, but I'm pretty sure doing that will cost more than I want to pay to suppress this one gun, and Knights probably has that system patented and won't want to let me use it to mount my YHM can! :D

Thanks all for your help I will let you know as I get closer to having the work done what I find out.

Probably the simplest solution- find a heavy barrel for your gun. If the barrel is already 9/16 other option i've seen is threading barrel smaller, then making an adapter that would give you a shoulder to mount against.

Probably the simplest solution- find a heavy barrel for your gun. If the barrel is already 9/16 other option i've seen is threading barrel smaller, then making an adapter that would give you a shoulder to mount against.

Yeah I tried to go the thread smaller route and use an adapter but do far have been met with oposition to threading a 30-06 smaller than 9/16 in the first place. I haven't totally given up yet though and hopefully someone will have a solution for me besides getting a different barrel.

I had a smith here in town call up YHM and they said that threading 1/2 x 28 and using their .223 adapter in 1/2 x 28 bored out to 30 cal is totally doable and what they suggested doing, but now I'm not sure that I want to run the risk on this gun or just wait to build something in 30 cal with using this suppressor in mind. 300 Win Mag Anyone?

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top