JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Finally if sound levels are a big deal keep jn mind that barrel length is a huge factor. Longer is quieter.
Yes and no.

Longer barrels are generally quieter in regards to muzzle blast, but suffer from supersonic crack if not using subsonic ammo.

A 4.5" barrel may have more muzzle blast due to unburnt powder, but is able to keep even high velocity bulk pack ammunition subsonic for the most part.

Once you add a suppressor, the short barrel is more versatile due to being able to keep more types of ammunition subsonic.

Last Edited:
Yes and no.

Longer barrels are generally quieter in regards to.muzzle blast, but suffer from supersonic crack if not using subsonic ammo.

A 4.5" barrel may have more muzzle blast due to unburnt powder, but is able to keep even high velocity bulk pack ammunition subsonic for the most part.

Once you add a suppressor, the short barrel is more versatile due to being able to keep more types of ammunition subsonic.
You are correct. I was assuming subsonic ammo. But i should have said that. Thx!

Agree a shorter barrel can sometimes eliminate the supersonic crack (one portion of the sound we hear -if applicable) of a supersonic round. And of course the flip side is that there is more muzzle blast in the shorter barrel (the other portion of the sound we hear and the one that can be mitigated to aome extent with the suppressor).

A good example is the little naa revolvers (1 1/8" barrel or so). A 1260 fps round comes out of one of those with similar velocity to a cb short round that is shot out of a rifle. And there is of course a big muzzle blast on the small revolver (part of what makes them fun probably in this case!). : )

S&W made a neat pistol that is the easiest to set up for a suppressor.
The sights are tall enough because the barrel is located below the recoil spring.
The special aftermarket adapter is only $35.00 and you can convert it back to factory in less then a minute.
I have one of every model and find the model 2213 with target sights my favorite.

There's a model 622 with a 6" barrel on Armslist in Salem and he offered it to me for only $350.00.

s&w 2213 001.JPG

This discussion reminded me of this beretta bobcat 22lr with supressor. Hillsboro company tornado technologies makes them. Wild!
74A5900F-0150-4706-820E-9ECB8DFA8DBB.jpeg
And u can keep it on your keyring...
DC2E24A4-E924-4779-BD6C-E20DDFD3A5D6.jpeg

Last Edited:
That is a good host pistol, but with a 1" diameter rimfire suppressor there shouldn't be any sight interference, even with a top barrel design. With my MkIV there was no adapter necessary, just remove the thread protector and install the suppressor.

I do like the looks of those older S&W pistols, though!

This discussion reminded me of this beretta bobcat 22lr with supressor. Hillsboro company tornado technologies makes them. Wild!
View attachment 513694
And u can keep it on your keyring...
View attachment 513695
That's a copy of the original Gemtech Pill Bottle, of which there are only two transferable suppressors available. I've read that it suppresses quite well for its size, considering it's only a single chamber plus wipe.

Another good micro suppressor design is the Bowers Bitty, who is also local.

BITTY .22 | Bowers Group

Last Edited:
That is a good host pistol, but with a 1" diameter rimfire suppressor there shouldn't be any sight interference, even with a top barrel design. With my MkIV there was no adapter necessary, just remove the thread protector and install the suppressor.

I do like the looks of those older S&W pistols, though!

Having an aluminum frame, these pistols are very light and that is one of the OP's requirements so his wife would be able to handle it.
A Mark IV Target weighs around 36 ounces, compared to the S&W 2214's 18 ounces.

Having an aluminum frame, these pistols are very light and that is one of the OP's requirements so his wife would be able to handle it.
A Mark IV Target weighs around 36 ounces, compared to the S&W 2214's 18 ounces.
The Ruger MkIV 22/45 Lite only weighs 25 oz, if one is willing to live with the polymer frame over the steel frame.

The S&W 2214 also has a 3" barrel, compared to the MkIV Lite or Tactical's 4.4" barrel.

Both would make good hosts, but let's make sure we're comparing all of the pertinent details, not just raw weight.

Last Edited:
FYI regarding suppressor 22 ammo, Brownells has Amercian Eagle Suppressor on sale for $29.99 for 500 rounds (6 cents per round). It is a 45 grain bullet traveling at 970 fps which is identical to the specs for CCI suppressor ammo. But the CCI ammo costs about twice as much. I've found the CCI suppressor round to be just a bit louder than "CCI quiet-22" but with twice the delivered energy (I haven't tried the american eagle yet but just ordered some). Also Brownells has free shipping today with no minimum order, which is rare for them. Just passing this deal along.

I'm not sure about current production models, but I remember reading about earlier models cracking the zinc slides.
I heard that too. I never pursued this gun just because when i handled it i didn't like the trigger and never looked into any of the other aspects of it. But it sounds like HB of CJ made it work good via tuning so like he said perhaps one should have those limitations in mind when pursuing that one (just my thinking anyway).

Also i just saw palmetto has the walther ppq 22 m2 for $249. I don't know if that one comes with a threaded barrel but i remember seeing a hickok video of the 9mm version of it and he loved the trigger and it was very accurate. 12 round magazine.

FYI I found a good video that shows the difference between supersonic and subsonic ammo on a 6" barrel with suppressor. Quite a difference!

Barrel length really matters. With the 4.4" barrel on a Ruger MkIV Lite, I can't hear the difference between high velocity and subsonic ammo.

@RaceFan can confirm and give his opinion on the matter, as we just tested it this morning.

For those like me that enjoy seeing numbers:
BBTI - Ballistics by the Inch :: .22 Results

Cool! The 4.4" barrel is keeping the supersonic ammo subsonic. Kind of makes me wonder if in the video above (6" barrel) the first 5 shots might be "just barely" supersonic (but who knows what velocity they are using). The "just barely" supersonic bullet can impact accuracy because the bullet has turbulence as it crosses the sound barrier and then again as it goes back down to subsonic. It would be fun to do some chrono testing of various ammo and barrel lengths but one needs a chrono and most importantly TIME to do the testing (that last one is hard to find ha ha).

I would bet they deliberately picked some higher velocity rounds, such as Yellow Jackets or Stingers, to help make their point.

I'll try to chrono a few different types of ammo one of these days when I have time.

20181102_150407.jpg
Barrel length really matters. With the 4.4" barrel on a Ruger MkIV Lite, I can't hear the difference between high velocity and subsonic ammo.

@RaceFan can confirm and give his opinion on the matter, as we just tested it this morning.

@ConcernedCitizen and I tested six different 22LR ammo types this morning.

We could not discern any noticeable volume difference among the ammo we put through the Advanced Armaments Corporation Element 2 and Dead Air Mask cans. All were whisper quiet.
  • Remington Golden Bullets 36GR Brass Plated Hollow Point; 1,280 FPS
  • Aguila Standard Velocity 40GR Lead; 1,130 FPS
  • Aguila High Velocity 40GR Copper Plated; 1,255 FPS
  • Federal 40GR Lead; 1,200 FPS
  • CCI Standard Velocity 40GR; 1,070 FPS
  • CCI Mini Mag 36GR; 1,260 FPS
Thanks again, @ConcernedCitizen for the test run!!! I'll bring a noise dosimeter next time (vs. the phone app) for better sound measurements and we can post the data.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads