JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This is a question thread. Use the up arrow to the right of good answers to upvote. Answers with more votes appear higher on the list.
Status
Reactions
There's a guy selling what he claims is a model 361 Galil, very desirable pre ban gun. He's asking about $1,000 dollars less than it would be worth on Gunbroker. So I message him to buy it, but I ask for more pictures of the receiver markings because the picture he had didn't look normal. In the interim I do some research and discover that not only is it not a real IMI galil, it's a parts kit home build built on a receiver that's regarded as substandard and potentially dangerous. Ohio rapid fire made the receiver and people sent those out to have the Hebrew IDF markings engraved. He sends me more pictures, which confirm my research. I tell him it's not what he said it is, so I'm no longer interested.

I hoped with providing him that information he'd edit the ad, but he hasn't and since more people have commented on the quality of IMI guns. I realize this is a case of cavet emptor but I hate the idea that someone spending $2,000 thinking they're getting a deal on a Galil and having it potentially literally blow up in their face.

There's a guy selling what he claims is a model 361 Galil, very desirable pre ban gun. He's asking about $1,000 dollars less than it would be worth on Gunbroker. So I message him to buy it, but I ask for more pictures of the receiver markings because the picture he had didn't look normal. In the interim I do some research and discover that not only is it not a real IMI galil, it's a parts kit home build built on a receiver that's regarded as substandard and potentially dangerous. Ohio rapid fire made the receiver and people sent those out to have the Hebrew IDF markings engraved. He sends me more pictures, which confirm my research. I tell him it's not what he said it is, so I'm no longer interested.

I hoped with providing him that information he'd edit the ad, but he hasn't and since more people have commented on the quality of IMI guns. I realize this is a case of cavet emptor but I hate the idea that someone spending $2,000 thinking they're getting a deal on a Galil and having it potentially literally blow up in their face.

Have you alerted the site mgt?

Ohio Fapid Fire is well known in the FAL community. There are hundreds of recieveres out there and all with a crap reputation.

Someone of gun broker was trying to sell a five pack of receivers for $300 and no one would rake them.

I dont know that they're dangerous but they didn't heat treat things right and they either bend or crack. I forget which.

If this is on Gunbroker, then alert their staff.
I don't see it on here.

If someone is misrepresenting an item for sale and we're able to verify it we will remove the ad.

@Moderators

I'm going to add this to the rules during our next update.

My guess is that he was looking for friendly advice.
If he feels that an ad is deceptive he should just notify that particular website's staff.
Sounded like he was thinking about thread-crapping which is not the way to handle it.

Makes sense. But when it's in our feedback/problem section I thought for sure it was an issue here.

If anyone ends up with it I would be more than happy to go thru it and make sure it's safe to shoot. I've had the pleasure of working on quite a few Ohio Rapid Fire items.
All were safe to shoot, but had small function problems.

so I was going to/planning on buying it saturday morning on my way to the portland gun show
I had him down to $1500
I asked for pics of the front markings and he sent me pics of the ohio rapid fire etching.
I told him I'll pass.

He has since updated the ad to reflect its an ORF build kit.

Thread closed.

Status

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews