JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You have big hands?
Let me explain.
I spent many months on the issue of buying a HK 23. Had the cash, was swayed by the marketing of the gun, but every time I went and fondled it, I was surprised at its size and balance. The gun is a beast. If you like a Desert Eagle 50AE but don't like the recoil, then the Mark 23 is for you.
Let me qualify this - I never shot a Mark 23. With the weight and size of the slide on it, I'd bet the recoil would be minimal compared to a USP Tactical.

On size, my hands are size 9. It seems to be made for gloved hands where larger grip area means steadier hold. Have a buddy whose hands are 13, but then again, everything about his is big (except he has no fat). The HK Mark 23 is an ideal fit for him. For me, kind of on the "too big" side.
After a great deal of deliberation, bought the USP Tactical at $1,400 less. Excellent gun, hated the target sights.
IMO, the modular backstraps on the HK45 make it much more comfortable.

Last Edited:
Years ago, when HK had a Training Division, I attended both the SMG Operator and SMG Instructor course (Don't hate, it was only two weeks of Taxpayer funded MASSIVE ammunition expenditure! Oh yeah, lets not forget I was being paid to be there, lol! ). At some point during the course, they broke out a bunch of HK weapons (other than the MP5's and UMP's we were training with). The Mk 23 was one we got to play with. It was handed to me with the Knights suppressor already attached, so we only shot it with the suppressor. Impressive to say the least. Even better after swishing the suppressor in a bucket of water. I swear I could hear the slugs impacting the berm!

Fast forward several years. I have a relative who HAD to have a Mk. 23. They acquired one, and I have been able to use it fairly frequently, both suppressed and unsuppressed. Here are a few observations-

It's BIG. This has been addressed ad nauseum, and rightly so. I too use the "Desert Eagle" description. Now big, in and of itself is not a bad thing, witness all of the large revolvers meant for hunting. I read somewhere that it needed to be that big in order to meet the durability requirements that were specified. You will have a tough time getting a holster.

It is a TANK. You could shoot this regularly for the rest of your life, your children's lives and their children's lives and you will not wear it out. You will have to replace an O ring now and again, but unless you win the lottery, you can't afford enough ammo to wear it out.

It is ACCURATE. I have used factory ammo. Accurate. I have used handloads. Accurate. I have even used steel cased Wolf. Accurate.

It suppresses very, very well. Now, I have to qualify this one. This is highly dependent on what suppressor you are using. Obviously, using any of the shorter cans on the market will not be as effective as a can with more volume.

Recoil is pleasant, as you might expect with a pistol as large as it is.

You will need an adapter in order to mount a light on it. The rail is set up for the LAM that was available, and it is not standard Pic rail.

It is NOT able to accept an optic.

It holds 12 rounds. Enough said.

YouTube has lots of video's covering the Mk 23. If you have not seen them, check them out. They usually cover the thought process behind the design of the gun.

Here is my take on the subject- If you want the gun for what it is, what it represents, the history and the overall HKness of it, then by all means get it! I don't think you would ever loose money on it.

However, if you are looking for a gun in .45 (Gods caliber), that has modern features, and are willing to accept just a tad bit more recoil, get an FNx Tactical.

Just my opinion (and mine alone), but I have used both.

Hope this helps. Feel free to contact me if you have further questions.

WMB

Not nearly as long a response as the previous individuals but I have had one for about 8 years and it is one of my favorite pistols. I have small(er) hands and have no issues with the size of the thing. Not to mention the thing is super easy to shoot, very accurate and suppresses extremely well. I say go for it!

Not nearly as long a response as the previous individuals but I have had one for about 8 years and it is one of my favorite pistols. I have small(er) hands and have no issues with the size of the thing. Not to mention the thing is super easy to shoot, very accurate and suppresses extremely well. I say go for it!
I almost ordered one the other day. I've got small mitts, glove size small, and the magazines were hard to find and expensive, so I didn't hit the order button.

I almost ordered one the other day. I've got small mitts, glove size small, and the magazines were hard to find and expensive, so I didn't hit the order button.
Yeah the mags are pricey, but they can be found for a semi-reasonable price on occasion if you keep your eye out (Last three I got were about $40 each).

Also, I wear medium gloves and I have no issues with the size of the grip - I would even wager to say it is comfortable. Small, I could see having a potential issue but it is deceptively comfortable despite the size.

Yeah the mags are pricey, but they can be found for a semi-reasonable price on occasion if you keep your eye out (Last three I got were about $40 each).

Also, I wear medium gloves and I have no issues with the size of the grip - I would even wager to say it is comfortable. Small, I could see having a potential issue but it is deceptively comfortable despite the size.
I decided to send my 1911 in for a new barrel instead.

A lot of good advice already given, yes for cool factor and what it represents. I have a little time behind them. Like stated before you can't wear them out. I don't feel like it's to big for my hands however, as also stated works well with gloves. I'm not sure if your looking at a commercial model or MOD o but not a lot of difference. Slide markings and headspace as far as I know.

I love the design and my edc is a USP CT 45: I did convert to Lem trigger and suppressor sights mod: If you wanted to run an optic it's going to be a pain, can be done though.

This one isn't mine: 1632175172622.jpeg

Last month I bought a USP 9 expert in 9mm. My first HK and I always had love/hate feelings toward HK. I was impressed and love my pistol.

Currently I owe a little over $12k on my new car. Once I have it paid off, I'm gonna save up for a MK23. I don't care if it's too big for my hands, I'm getting one and I will CC that thing for sure lol.

The MK23 is hands down one of the nicest pistols to shoot that I've ever owned / used. The recoil is very mild, owing to the size and weight of the pistol no doubt, and the distance between the front and rear sights makes it very easy to be quite accurate.

As for ergonomics - this pistol is BIG. Very, very BIG. I have glove-size "large" hands, and this pistol still feels pretty chunky when gripped. That said, once you get used to this, it doesn't really pose any problems for using the pistol. I'm also not a huge fan of HK's magazine release (lever on the trigger guard), but this is also something one can get used to. The trigger is fantastic. Double-action is not too heavy and very smooth and the single-action is crisp with very little creep and a fairly short reset.

All in all, I still consider the MK23 to be one of my favorite pistols, both for its history and because it is an absolute pleasure to put rounds through.

In parting, here's a picture of one of my latest MK23 range targets (~35 yards, unsupported, aimed-shots). I don't think I could manage to make a target like this at this range with any of my other semi-auto pistols without significantly more effort and/or attempts:

Mk 23 range.png

@User 1234

Sorry, but the slide lock feature (like the Hushpuppy had) is not on either the Military or Civilian version of the Mk23. That feater

However, I would not let that keep me from getting one.

It really is an amazing pistol!

I bought an HK45 Tactical that is by far the most accurate semi auto pistol that I own.
When coupled with a Silencerco Osprey suppressor it handles well and is spooky quiet.
I've handled a Mark 23 alongside my HK45 Tactical and after comparing the overall cost of the 45 Tactical, the Osprey can, plus the $200.00 tax stamp compared to just the cost of just the Mark 23, I'm glad I bought what I did.

hk 45 with Osprey 003.JPG

@User 1234

Sorry, but the slide lock feature (like the Hushpuppy had) is not on either the Military or Civilian version of the Mk23. That feater

However, I would not let that keep me from getting one.

It really is an amazing pistol!
Darn it! Not that I had any practical use for it, but it would have been an interesting historical novelty. Thanks for letting me know.

Hey all I was wondering if anyone has it had a HK MK23 and what they think/thought of it.
I'm thinking about picking one up.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads