JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have built up a few 300blk SBR's with the intention of them being self-protection guns. Hope to never need them. However, if I do, I have been wondering how that would play out the post justified defense shoot. Anyone experience this? Did you get your weapon back? Extra issues with it having one or two tax stamps?

I have built up a few 300blk SBR's with the intention of them being self-protection guns. Hope to never need them. However, if I do, I have been wondering how that would play out the post justified defense shoot. Anyone experience this? Did you get your weapon back? Extra issues with it having one or two tax stamps?
I wouldn't think anyone would have a problem with a legally stamped SBR being used in a self defense situation. Except the perp. :)

Neither firearm used in my "story" was a NFA firearm....but the following may still apply...

Having had to use a gun twice now , in defense of myself and family while at home , luckily without having to shoot...
I can say that is best to keep your statements to law enforcement , short , simple and to the point.

I was in fear for my life....I want to cooperate , but will only answer questions , when my lawyer is present ...
Is a phrase that may be helpful here.

You will be questioned by everyone present and often pointedly...hopefully by a officer , who knows more about guns and shooting then the ones that questioned me.

Be prepared to have your actions second guessed , motives wondered about and even choice of firearm questioned .

Both times it was very clear cut and I was justified in my actions...in both cases , my firearms never left my home....but then as I stated I did not , thankfully , have to shoot.
Andy

This would also apply to suppressors, yes? I can't see the harm at all in trying not to blow your eardrums out. Of course, I suppose everything comes down to who is on the jury. That being said, of it comes to dying/not dying, your choice in weapon, whether it's a single shot .410 with bird shot or an authentic Thompson should be the last thing you're truly concerned about

Well, it gets back to that old chestnut: Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6. Deal with the immediate problem If using your SBR saves you and/or your family's lives then even if its confiscated and you never see it again, well, that's a bargain that I would make any day.

The only trouble with that old chestnut of Better to be judged by 12 , than carried by 6 is...
The 12 that judge will probably not think like you do , nor understand your experience...at least in my experience of "peers" during my times on jury duty....
Andy

Well, it gets back to that old chestnut: Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6. Deal with the immediate problem If using your SBR saves you and/or your family's lives then even if its confiscated and you never see it again, well, that's a bargain that I would make any day.
Why would a legal firearm that's used in a legal manner be subject to confiscation?

The only trouble with that old chestnut of Better to be judged by 12 , than carried by 6 is...
The 12 that judge will probably not think like you do , nor understand your experience...at least in my experience of "peers" during my times on jury duty....
Andy
Well, even that is preferable to being carried by 6,IMHO;)
Why would a legal firearm that's used in a legal manner be subject to confiscation?
I have no personal experience in self-defense shootings (Thank you, Jesus!) but at least in my old state of California they take the gun after a shooting. hopefully that is different up here.
My real point, however is that I will happily "trade" that gun for my life or the lives of my family. I can always acquire another gun, but a good wife is very rare.

Andy
Andy, you're not wrong. My one experience as part of a jury tells me jurors are often uneducated on the laws they're supposed to adjudicate the defendant on, as well as lacking an ability to READ instructions the judge gives out. It's scary when a 20 something has to read directions aloud to 40-60 somethings just for them to get the concept and stop foaming at the mouth. Our "peers" are generally imbeciles, but that's just an opinion from my pen Rose colored glasses. I'm sure they think the same of you/I

Taken as "evidence" while they wait to see if they are going to make an issue of the shoot. This is very common. No matter how "good" the shoot looks, if you shoot you can expect them to take the gun for at least a short time. The LEO's who respond do not get to make the final call on whether or not you are good.

Every time I read stories about use of firearms for self defense the police take the weapon used as evidence. You eventually get it back, after months of waiting.

My curiosity is if they can legally take a NFA item with the extra legal junk that follows them.

Kind of how you can't let your wife use your silencers. You have to be present.

Taken as "evidence" while they wait to see if they are going to make an issue of the shoot. This is very common. No matter how "good" the shoot looks, if you shoot you can expect them to take the gun for at least a short time. The LEO's who respond do not get to make the final call on whether or not you are good.
Confiscation would imply you're not getting it back , where as impounded doesn't. I understand that the weapon may be impounded until the outcome of the legality of the use is determined.

Andy, you're not wrong. My one experience as part of a jury tells me jurors are often uneducated on the laws they're supposed to adjudicate the defendant on, as well as lacking an ability to READ instructions the judge gives out. It's scary when a 20 something has to read directions aloud to 40-60 somethings just for them to get the concept and stop foaming at the mouth. Our "peers" are generally imbeciles, but that's just an opinion from my pen Rose colored glasses. I'm sure they think the same of you/I
So very true...
This along with being questioned and second guessed by law enforcement...has made me very cynical with the phrase :
Better to be judged by 12 , than carried by 6...

Note that I will defend myself...but having gone thru this "judging" , so to speak....has made me leery of my peers , for sure.
Andy

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads