JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Curious if anyone owning one of these would like to share their thoughts?

I was thinking the S&W MP 15-22 could be used as a trainer for my wife, grandkids and other newbs who aren't quite ready for the AR15. After handling one, my first impression was that it is very light due to the all plastic construction. I don't really like the quad rail and would rather have a standard HG and/or the option of throwing a magpul upfront but that does not seem possible at this point.

At any rate, comments are appreciated.

http://thevirtuousrepublic.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/IMG_4386.jpg

I have one of these and it is probably one of my favorite guns to shoot or to use it introduce a new shooter to the AR platform. The layout of the controls; mag release, safety & bolt catch are identical to any full size AR. Recoil is almost non-existent. If you get the threaded barrel model and put on a suppressor it is almost silent.

Cleaning and take down are the same as a regular AR, so it's good practice on how to clean and maintain the AR platform.

With the iron sighs or a simple red dot, you can easily hit anything you're aiming at (up to 100 yards). My only criticism is that it is so much fun you will easily burn through a couple hundred rounds of hard to find .22LR during each session.

The M&P 15-22 is the AR on the Top left of this wall in my gun room.

fc777a18d1a84ea416df97d6e85a8cc5.jpg

I couldn't agree more. I have one and love it. After shooting it a few times, I unloaded my 10/22. It just wasn't as much fun to shoot after the 15-22.

I absolutely love mine. I have a Chip Mccormick trigger and a slide fire stock. It's a frickin hoot. I had six 10-22's when I got it and since gave away or sold all of them. I bought it not long after Sandy Hook and paid 500 bucks and that doesn't bother me a bit as much fun as it is. It's the best option I have for kids, beginners or small stature people. I hope to upgrade the boys to one within the next few years. FWIW I torture tested it when I got it. I didn't clean it for nearly 5K rounds before it started giving me fits. I love it, did I mention that?

My friend had a dedicated 22LR upper he bought just before the 22LR drought hit; Like all 22LRs he needed to keep it clean, but it worked with all but the cheapest ammo. He saved enough money shooting it to pay for the upper, traded it for a complete (plastic) AR later on. I think he would recommend a PCC AR just for ammo availability.

I have one and I love it. Accurate and reliable even with cheap ammo. I have yet to experience a failure. Really well built for the price. It's a great way to introduce someone to AR style rifles. My wife loves to shoot it, and any gun that encourages her to shoot is good by me. I'd highly recommend them.

I also highly recommend it. It is fun to shoot, accurate and will ingest any 22lr you put into it. never had any kind of malfunction after thousands of rounds. You can use aftermarket mil- spec stocks and grips, and they even sell an adapter barrel nut, so you can put any rail you want on it. Smith and Wesson warranty yeam is top notch, I broke my upper while changing the flash hider with out supporting the barrel. They told me to send it in for them to look at, and I got it back with a new upper. No charge, with a note that said be careful next time. Sorry for straying, I like it so much I bought both of my sons one each for Christmas last year. You won't regret it.

I like mine a lot. I've spent stupid amounts of money on mine just for fun. Look up Tacticool22, all the stuff you need for changing to whatever front you want. Another fun place is the S&W Forum, piles of info and conversation. Big boys Legos for sure, addicted could also be used. We just need more 22 lr at reasonable prices again, but I digress, be sure to research them as they come in many forms. (Thumbs up)

Last Edited:
Seems everyone has pretty much summed up the 15-22. I will say I love mine fun to shoot and also add that the plinker tactical mags are great and hold 35 rounds but be sure to get the load assist thing to go with it.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top