JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So I have been running a KAK +3 pistol buffer on my rig but recently saw the Odinworks unit. It looked it it would give a longer "length of pull" if you miss used it shouldered so I thought I would give it a go. My first impression is this thing rocks. It is super clean, has a built in single point as well as QD spot on the receiver plate. Its light and really well made. The sliding collar that locks the SIG brace in place matches perfectly
and you can slide it way out to the point that, well it makes the SIG brace feel like a real stock (albeit a short one) And if you want to slide it up tight to the receiver its just a single screw to move the locking collar so in effect you can reduce its overall length by about 4.5"-5". I might even try using a "wing" bolt so I can use my fingers to move the collar thus allowing moving the brace in and out without tools.

comparison.jpg
Here you can see how it looks next to my other pistol with the + 3 tube

full size comparison.jpg

Here it is next to a full size 16" light rifle with a Magpul ACS fully extended.

My only complaint is that it does not use a buffer tube castle nut. I dont feel like the just threaded in tube is as secure as a tight and properly staked nut. However I put it on with some blue locktite and I'll see how it goes. Considering the other benefits I think its a small price to pay.

So basically my feeling is this is as close to a SBR as you can get without a tax stamp. I am really happy with the rig overall. With the 11.5" barrel and a carbine length gas system you actually end up with a "real" gun that has no problems ringing the 200 yard gong every time. Now with the more natural feeling sight picture with the SIG brace out away from the receiver I think you have just about done away with all the pistol compromises. No its not a SBR, But man it is fun!

It makes it enough "SBR" like that I think I'll have to start packing the SIG brace ATF letter along with the printed out bit saying its ok to shoulder the SIG brace :)

No sir, Its not a rifle sir, Yep, Its a pistol sir. Absolutely you can shoot it :)

I think one they make a ruling its pretty unlikely that they will reverse it. Its not intended to be a stock, and they have specifically said that its OK to shoulder it. I was a little sketched out by it at first. Mostly because I have unassembled lowers and several other rifles and I was always worried about having a pistol upper turn into a SBR upper accidentally. I am real careful to always have my pistol uppers on a lower with a pistol buffer tube. I even marked the lower on one of them "pistol" just for piece of mind (I probably should do the other one) I want to make sure I am following the law to the letter and give them no reason to think otherwise.

Well you can make a pistol lower a rifle but not a rifle lower into a pistol as I understood.
Also you can buy stripped lowers as long as their not designated a rifle can be made into a pistol.
Maybe someone can can correct me if I'm wrong.

Either way like I said when I get the money together for more toys I want a sog brace and will probably pick up one of these tubes for the extention too. Looks awesome.

Yes - you can put a rifle upper with a 16"+ long barrel, and shoulder stock on a pistol lower as long as the total is 26+ inches.

But don't ever put a barrel shorter than 16" on a rifle lower, or a shoulder stock on the pistol lower with a pistol upper (barrel shorter than 16").

Aren't these laws screwy?

As for them changing their minds about the SIG brace - I don't see that happening either - but I do see the possibility of someone doing something criminal with one or more of these, then the anti-gun people making a big deal out of this "loophole" and then a new law being passed. Fortunately I don't think criminals are all that smart - it would have to be someone who went mental while being knowledgeable about this configuration.

Your right. A "other" receiver can be made into a pistol as long as its never been a rifle. The trick is that if you have a pistol upper that is not on a lower and have a rifle/carbine lower that is not attached to a upper then what you have is constructive possession of a SBR. One of the reasons I marked the one and want to mark the other is just to keep everything obvious.

But in the same case criminals can just as easily use a AR pistol with just a pistol buffer tube for the same result. That's the screwy part of the law.
AR pistol , legal
AR pistol with larger backside, illegal!
I like mine girls with a big back side

Your right. A "other" receiver can be made into a pistol as long as its never been a rifle. The trick is that if you have a pistol upper that is not on a lower and have a rifle/carbine lower that is not attached to a upper then what you have is constructive possession of a SBR. One of the reasons I marked the one and want to mark the other is just to keep everything obvious.
*IF* that rifle lower is the only lower you have. If you have a pistol lower, then obviously (yes, even to the ATF) the pistol upper goes to the rifle lower. Just don't carry the pistol upper around with only the rifle lower - say in a range bag. At home, in storage, you would be fine too.

Also, the ATF was, before the T/C court case, saying that once a receiver became a rifle, it was always a rifle, even though it started out as a pistol. The T/C court case changed that saying that if it started out as a pistol then it could go to being a rifle, and back to a pistol as the owner saw fit. But it has to start out as a pistol (manufactured and sold as one) - you can't convert a receiver that started out as a rifle to a pistol.

Again, screwy laws - the legality of an AR or T/C pistol receiver vs. a rifle is simply a matter of paperwork and not a physical difference.

I make it a habit to always make sure the pistol uppers and lowers are mated and I have an extra pistol lower sitting around just in case I was to come by a good deal on a pistol upper it could immediately have a home and not be sitting around in the safe loose. With $39 lowers available there is no reason not to have one specifically for that eventuality

Back to the Odinworks tube. Hopefully the square opening in the rear of the tube for a 3/8" (maybe it's 1/2", I've only looked at one, not an owner, yet) ratchet will allow enough torque to be applied to eliminate the need for a castle nut.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top