JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've been loading on the Lee classic cast turret for about a year now and I do like it. However for my pistol consumption it takes me entirely too long to load rounds (~50/hr)

so I've been thinking of upgrading to a progressive press and would like yalls thoughts on this particular press if anyone has one. Seems to be pretty reasonable cost wise.

I have one and I like it it works well. It does not have a tool head like many of the progressives so you have to change each die with a caliber change. The breachlock bushings are about 9 bucks apiece so be sure to count that in your cost analysis. It also takes different primer tools/rams than the LCT be sure to get the right parts. Mine seems to work well. I have been trying to get by with my LCT in my new, smaller reloading space, but I am thinking about getting the progressive back out because I'm falling behind lately. So far no issues with it and I've had it for about a year and a half?

Last Edited:
I have one and I like it it works well. It does not have a tool head like many of the progressives so you have to change each die with a caliber change. The breachlock bushings are about 9 bucks apiece so be sure to count that in your cost analysis. It also takes different primer tools/rams than the LCT be sure to get the right parts. Mone seems to work well. I have been trying to get by with my LCT in my new, smaller reloading space, but I am thinking about getting the progressive back out because I'm falling behind lately. So far no issues with it and I've had it for about a year and a half?

Thank you for the response! Glad to see that you enjoy it.

I noticed the bushing thing, for my current calibers I see needing three sets of four (I like keeping my powder measure with my dies)

Thank you for the response! Glad to see that you enjoy it.

I noticed the bushing thing, for my current calibers I see needing three sets of four (I like keeping my powder measure with my dies)
Well in this case you would be keeping your powder measure with your flaring/powder through die since you don't have a turret head like the LCT or a tool head like the Dillon etc. The breechlock bushings help though because assuming you have a favorite load they just spin and lock in.

My impression is that it is built well it's all steel.

My impression of the Lee brand is they make cheap stuff that more or less works. Have plenty of their dies and accessories but no presses. If I were you, looking for a progressive, I would try to find a deal on a Dillon. I got very lucky early this year to get a deal on a discounted xl650 that they discounted again at the register for a total of about $450. That particular model is discontinued which is why I got a deal and man am I glad I did because it's so darn buttery smooth and easy.

If you do get a breechlock, though, I'd be interested in what you have to say about it

Well in this case you would be keeping your powder measure with your flaring/powder through die since you don't have a turret head like the LCT or a tool head like the Dillon etc. The breechlock bushings help though because assuming you have a favorite load they just spin and lock in.

My impression is that it is built well it's all steel.

That is indeed my mistake, I usually just consider those one unit as I run almost exclusively lee Dies and on press powder measures. Thank you for the clarification!

My impression of the Lee brand is they make cheap stuff that more or less works. Have plenty of their dies and accessories but no presses. If I were you, looking for a progressive, I would try to find a deal on a Dillon. I got very lucky early this year to get a deal on a discounted xl650 that they discounted again at the register for a total of about $450. That particular model is discontinued which is why I got a deal and man am I glad I did because it's so darn buttery smooth and easy.

If you do get a breechlock, though, I'd be interested in what you have to say about it

Funny you mention it, as I was looking at a few used Dillon SDB, but the exclusive dies and the amount of calibers I load for kinda killed that idea.

At this time I can't really see spending quite that much for my needs, not to say I wouldn't be in the market later if my shooting amounts increase. As I know that Dillon makes some killer presses.

I'll indeed start another thread if I get one as I'm getting more and more tempted. With case feeder, two shell plates and 12 bushings(these are kinda dumb expensive) I'm out the door with shipping at $250

As was previously warned above by aging student the bushings are $20 a pack of four for the lock ring replacement style.

Don't be afraid of Lee aluminum presses, been using one for longer than I care to remember, it's a single stage that's loaded 10's of thousands of rounds since acquiring it nearly 30 years ago. If your concerned about durability go with the steel versions...

Budget price just works sometimes :D

That is indeed my mistake, I usually just consider those one unit as I run almost exclusively lee Dies and on press powder measures. Thank you for the clarification!

Funny you mention it, as I was looking at a few used Dillon SDB, but the exclusive dies and the amount of calibers I load for kinda killed that idea.

At this time I can't really see spending quite that much for my needs, not to say I wouldn't be in the market later if my shooting amounts increase. As I know that Dillon makes some killer presses.

I'll indeed start another thread if I get one as I'm getting more and more tempted. With case feeder, two shell plates and 12 bushings(these are kinda dumb expensive) I'm out the door with shipping at $250

As was previously warned above by aging student the bushings are $20 a pack of four for the lock ring replacement style.
After many years of single stage and turret press loading I got the BLP because I wanted better production. I find that it works well for that. I like getting a finished round with each crank for sure; but a progressive press in general is just a needy critter. It's like having a two-year-old in the house. Things disappear at an alarming rate and the second you take your eyes off it it runs out in the street and causes a traffic jam. Usually it's because I forgot something it's almost never the press. For me at least, it's not quite as cathartic as a single stage; it's a little more frenetic like a busy Friday at work and coming home to a houseful of needy people. It's not that I hate it, it's a helpful tool, but I feel like it's a little too much like work to be the only press on the bench and used exclusively.

That really has nothing to do with the BLP itself. It's just more about me wanting to fuss with details and do something the best I can while taking my time.

I've been loading on the Lee classic cast turret for about a year now and I do like it. However for my pistol consumption it takes me entirely too long to load rounds (~50/hr)

so I've been thinking of upgrading to a progressive press and would like yalls thoughts on this particular press if anyone has one. Seems to be pretty reasonable cost wise.
I used the Lee Breechlock semi-progressive for about a year and liked it as well. I've had and used just about every press on the market over 20 years of reloading. For high-capacity reloading I probably liked my Dillon 650 the best. I built my own case feeder for it and used a Mr. Bullet feeder with rotating tube bullet feeder. Worst progressive press - Lee Loadmaster. Impossible to get repeatable reloads. All time favorite press - Lee Classic Turret press. Since I resize, deprime, clean, and hand re-prime before using the LCT press, it frees up two die holes. Insert case, Flare & powder drop with Lee drum powder measure, drop a bullet with Mr. Bullet Feeder & multi-tube, bullet seat, factory crimp. Pretty fast operation.

reloading_bench_small.jpg

I was interested in the Breachlock Pro (Lee Pro 4000 as a kit $210) when it came out and followed many threads from those who bought it, here and on several other forums.
Most found the priming to be fiddly and Lee came out with some redesigned stuff to rectify this and other problems that cropped up.

A little history
My exposure to progressives started back with the RCBS Piggyback 5 station add-on/bolt on, on top of a Rock Chucker.
I felt like a beta tester as it had many flaws and when I contacted RCBS with problems it seemed to always be something I was doing, not the press :s0153:.
They did send replacements for the broken plastic parts though and eventually redesigned some stuff but you had to ask for them to find out/get them :(.
I have since acquired 2 more used Piggybacks, a new Pro 1000, and a new Loadmaster.

All have been mod'ed to operate similarly in that my left hand has ONLY one function during a cycle and my right hand never leaves the lever.
This was accomplished by adding a case feeder/bullet feeder, sometimes both.

On the Loadmaster I pre-prime the cases to free up that 2nd station from priming, and use it for the powder thru expander, making it a true 5 station almost progressive.
I cannot see a way to get 'single left hand input' done on the Breach Lock Pro with it's current design priming system, without pre-priming.
That's the reason I am not considering a BLP anymore.

I only have one press at a time on the bench.
A pic of my storage shelf, presses all mounted on a common plate.
Whew, sorry for the bloviating post but I don't have much to do...
:D
Edit:
Red98422:
Your priming experience on the turret is something that will make adapting to the ABLP much easier, but I have also read the reach-around to place the bullet in the case is annoying for some.
I can post links to the other ABLP threads if you are interested and there's lots of youtube vids where you can fast forward thru the droning on commentary to get an idea of how the ABLP works.
In those vids the biggest hiccup is forgetting to add the primer from the pez dispenser :s0112:

PStorageS.jpg

Last Edited:
I ended up starting with the Loadmaster. Seemed that once you add in the case feeder, primer press, and powder charge, it was a wash price wise. Looks like you could pickup a loadmaster for around $300. I also preprime my shells, and have separate head plates for 9mm, 38, and one for a universal de-primer. It just takes seconds to change from one caliber to another by unscrewing a thumb screw and swapping out the head plate and the shell plate.

I have a loading room based around Lee presses.

Breechlock cast single stage
Classic cast turret
Loadmaster - Progressive

I wouldn't have an issue running any of their presses.
I'd like to add some more of them to my hoard.

Im a firm believer in equipment that works for all loaders. If a Dillon fits you then load on a Dillon. If you want to get into reloading gently then maybe Lee is your game. You can buy a LOT of reloading gear for the money difference.

I ended up starting with the Loadmaster. Seemed that once you add in the case feeder, primer press, and powder charge, it was a wash price wise. Looks like you could pickup a loadmaster for around $300. I also preprime my shells, and have separate head plates for 9mm, 38, and one for a universal de-primer. It just takes seconds to change from one caliber to another by unscrewing a thumb screw and swapping out the head plate and the shell plate.
Actually the Loadmaster is sold as a complete kit by caliber too, you might need to buy a case collator...$252
:D

I have a loading room based around Lee presses.

Breechlock cast single stage
Classic cast turret
Loadmaster - Progressive

I wouldn't have an issue running any of their presses.
I'd like to add some more of them to my hoard.

Im a firm believer in equipment that works for all loaders. If a Dillon fits you then load on a Dillon. If you want to get into reloading gently then maybe Lee is your game. You can buy a LOT of reloading gear for the money difference.
Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of Lee products (most of them). I even did a presentation once on the best Lee products and sent it to Lee Precision. I got a nice letter back saying how much they appreciated my support. I recently downsized my reloading operations, I reload 3 caliber's only (plus shotgun), for simplicity sake. I have three presses, all Lee presses. The Lee Classic Turret press represents the best value in the reloading press market today. The Lee classic cast iron, single-stage press is second to none, I reload all my 308 Winchester on it. Can you send me a picture of your reloading setup? The only Lee press I had issues with was the Loadmaster. I simply couldn't get repeatable results. I spent a lot of money, time, and innovation trying to improve on its functionality but in the end it was just too frustrating. It was fun though.

I have owned a Dillon 650, a Hornady Lock-&-Load, Lee Loadmaster, and the Lee Breech Lock sem-progressive press. Plus several turret presses, and a dozen single-stage presses. The Dillon was a very good press but it had some idiosyncrasies, which ultimately were annoying. Most Lee products are well designed, durable, and adaptable. Yes, they are lower cost but they are not cheap or sub-standard. In my opinion the Lee Classic Turret press represents the best value of any turret press. I have loaded thousands of pistol rounds on it and it remains my go-to press today. The lee auto-drum press is comparable if not superior to any powder measure on the market.

I have owned a Dillon 650, a Hornady Lock-&-Load, Lee Loadmaster, and the Lee Breech Lock sem-progressive press. Plus several turret presses, and a dozen single-stage presses. The Dillon was a very good press but it had some idiosyncrasies, which ultimately were annoying. Most Lee products are well designed, durable, and adaptable. Yes, they are lower cost but they are not cheap or sub-standard. In my opinion the Lee Classic Turret press represents the best value of any turret press. I have loaded thousands of pistol rounds on it and it remains my go-to press today. The lee auto-drum press is comparable if not superior to any powder measure on the market.

I have and use the heck out of my lee turret, and I genuinely love the thing. It'll always have a use in my room for load ladders and other smaller scale operations. Just needing to speed up production some for my proven loads.

In other news I have already placed the order for a Lee Breachlock pro with all the accoutrements!!!! Unfortunately looks like the soonest I may see it is somewhere from the 11th to the 21st :(

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of Lee products (most of them). I even did a presentation once on the best Lee products and sent it to Lee Precision. I got a nice letter back saying how much they appreciated my support. I recently downsized my reloading operations, I reload 3 caliber's only (plus shotgun), for simplicity sake. I have three presses, all Lee presses. The Lee Classic Turret press represents the best value in the reloading press market today. The Lee classic cast iron, single-stage press is second to none, I reload all my 308 Winchester on it. Can you send me a picture of your reloading setup? The only Lee press I had issues with was the Loadmaster. I simply couldn't get repeatable results. I spent a lot of money, time, and innovation trying to improve on its functionality but in the end it was just too frustrating. It was fun though.

All of my presses use the quick change base from Inline Fabrication.
While this is one of them, the others mount up in the same spot.

AF6D577A-63C1-4139-A958-ED682216C621.jpeg

I ran 1500 through this since the weekend and had only 3 flipped primers. I'd say 1 of 500 is decent for this setup. Can pump out 100 rounds in about 6 minutes or less. I give it 10 minutes with primer and brass reload along with moving rounds into ammo boxes giving me a rough 600/hr.

All of my presses use the quick change base from Inline Fabrication.
While this is one of them, the others mount up in the same spot.

View attachment 678677

I ran 1500 through this since the weekend and had only 3 flipped primers. I'd say 1 of 500 is decent for this setup. Can pump out 100 rounds in about 6 minutes or less. I give it 10 minutes with primer and brass reload along with moving rounds into ammo boxes giving me a rough 600/hr.
This post has inspired me to give the the Loadmaster another try at priming on the press.
Can you tell what's going on in this pic?
:s0112:

PlateBolts.JPG

I have and use the heck out of my lee turret, and I genuinely love the thing. It'll always have a use in my room for load ladders and other smaller scale operations. Just needing to speed up production some for my proven loads.

In other news I have already placed the order for a Lee Breachlock pro with all the accoutrements!!!! Unfortunately looks like the soonest I may see it is somewhere from the 11th to the 21st :(
Love to see it when it's up and running. I used a Mr. Bulletfeeder bullet feed die and the multi-tube bullet feed tube. It is flawless and worked great on my LBP press. I use it now on my Lee Classic Turret press.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top