JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Do you plan to add the 6.8 Western to the battery?

• Yes definitely.

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Don't know enough yet.

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • No need too it doesn't do anything enough better.

Votes: 10 62.5%
  • Yes if there is enough factory ammo choices available.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes if supported long term & factory ammo is common.

Votes: 1 6.3%

• Total voters
Reactions
I searched for a thread on this new cartridge from a joint project between Winchester and Browning but didn't see one.

As I am liking this new cartridge, the 6.8 Western and am interested to know what others thoughts here are.

It sure came out in interesting times and it is unclear how that will affect its ultimate popularity and success.

Worm can is open folks.

Screenshot_20210429-093400_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Didn't vote, but the answer is probably not. I already shoot a bunch of wildcats and "adding one more cartridge" to the safe garners a 'meh' from me.

I haven't read any of the articles or hype. IIRC, the 6.5 CM was out 10 years before it really took off. If you look at the capabilities of the 6.5CM vs 7mm-08, the two are very similar ballistically. I looked at both, and ordered the 7-08, and have been happy with my choice.

Looking at the article, these items pop out:
  • Based on the 270 WSM. What, they shortened the shoulder to give a longer neck? OK, why not just go with the WSM?
  • I see they are offering twist rates that make sense -- 1:8 or 1:7.75
  • I've not loaded for heavy 277 caliber. Is there a selection of excellent bullets that make it worthwhile?
Things what will lead to the success of this cartridge:
  1. A good offering of rifles with proper twists, not just from Win or Browning.
  2. A great choice of factory cartridges
  3. Reports from the field of excellent terminal ballistics

Thing about most of these calibers that have come to light in pursuit of replacing the 308, is that they all require longer barrels to really outperform whatever they state it is supposed to outperform. In this case, they are trying to state it is better than the 6.5 creedmore, which has been sort of established as a better 308. So by shooting their latest and greatest (likely failed military contract) cartridge through a certain barrel length, they can show whatever they want.

I say failed military contract, as most of these cartridges are likely due to machining up for some chance at a huge military contract. 6.8 was a big thing in the last trials. I have no idea whos 6.8 won, but I do know it's common for companies that tried will always market it to the public because they already spent the money for the tooling.

Some people are going to get all grumpy about not "needing" a new cartridge. I get it, cartridge selection is a religion to some folks.

I see the 6.8 western as an update to the 270 WSM. The biggest difference is high BC bullets sent through a proper twist barrel. Browning is doing a 1:7.5 on their barrels while Winchester is doing 1:8. The 270 WSM are 1:10 for factory rifles.

This is a revamp of the 270 WSM using what has been learned from the 6.5 PRC. It's really just a .270 PRC, but with a fancier Winchester-esq name. (Although I do wish they had stuck with the American bullet designation rather than metric, but the marketing folks probably won that battle).

I think it offers a lot for the kind of hunting I do, basically a laser beam out to 500 yards and will cheerfully kill any big game, with the BC to go beyond.

For those who hate everything new, this is not going to make the 270 WSM obsolete, it's just another addition to the lineup. It doesn't fill a gaping hole, but I don't believe at this point in cartridge design, there are any really big holes left open.

l already have a .270WSM and a couple .270 Win rifles. If I want to shoot any of the new super slick heavy long range bullets, I will just re-barrel one with a 1 in 8" twist. I probably don't see the need since a Nosler 150 gr Ballistic Tip at 3,100 fps shoots plenty flat for the long range shooting I might ever do.

I think the best thing it has going for it is the penetration and energy it still has past 500 yards. That coupled with the claimed inherent accuracy makes it a good choice to build one heck of a light Mountain Elk Rifle.

Here is a pretty good assement from Hill Country Rifles.

Can't say this does anything for me. I have .264, .284 and .308 bases pretty covered. I don't know that I'd turn one down but it's just not enough better to get me to open my wallet. Even if I were to add a .277, I'd probably start with Grandpa .270 Winchester

Reno nailed it, they stack the deck to make "new" cartridge designs seem greater than they are by neutering the raining champ and inflating the challenger. On the brightside I have noticed lots of boxes of 6.8w ammo on the shelf of Sportsman's Warehouse. But they have also had 300 and 270 WSM.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top