JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Thoughts on SW M&P Sport 2nd Gen, AR-15 {.223:5.56}.
Curious what owners of this think...Also I do realize it is not a 1200+ AR just curious what others thought of it.

Specs On 2nd Gen :
SPECS

• $739 Suggested Retail
  • $600-$650 Street Price ( on sale mid 550.00 plus BGC)

• Model: M&P®15 Sport™ II
    Caliber: 5.56mm NATO/.223
    Capacity: 30
    Safety: Manual Safety on Lower
    Barrel Length: 16"
    Overall Length: 35.0"
    Front Sight: Adj. A2 Post
    Rear Sight: Folding Magpul (MBUS)
    Action: Gas Operated Semi-Auto
    Stock: 6-Position CAR
    Grip: Polymer
    Weight: 103.2 oz / 2,925.7g
    Barrel Material: 4140 Steel
    Frame Material: Aluminum Alloy
    Frame Finish: Matte Black
    Barrel Twist: 1 in 9, 6 groove
Features
• Magpul® MBUS® Rear Sight
• Forged, Integral Trigger Guard
• Forward Assist & Dust Cover
• Chromed Firing Pin
• Armornite® Barrel Finish
• 6-Position Collapsible Stock
• Compatible with most standard AR15 components and accessories
10202_01_lg_0[2].jpg

:s0042:

Last Edited:
SW M&P Sport 2nd Gen, AR-15 {.223:5.56} is 1/9" twist not a 1/7". If you are thinking of buying for plinking the 55gr is fine. If you are using for HD too then Speer 64gr JSP rounds. I have not fired this AR15 but I am assuming it is a well thought out rifle for the price.

If you find yourself in the Portland area Northwest Armory has had them and the Ruger AR556 on sale for $500 for several weeks. The Ruger is similar in all respects but has a 1/8 barrel, their unique delta ring that I prefer to the mil-spec one, billet A frame gas block and a nice tight fit between the upper and lower.

IIRC the Sport has a nitrided barrel, the Ruger is unlined/untreated.

You can't go wrong with either.

If you find yourself in the Portland area Northwest Armory has had them and the Ruger AR556 on sale for $500 for several weeks. The Ruger is similar in all respects but has a 1/8 barrel, their unique delta ring that I prefer to the mil-spec one, billet A frame gas block and a nice tight fit between the upper and lower.

IIRC the Sport has a nitrided barrel, the Ruger is unlined/untreated.

You can't go wrong with either.
We're one of these rifles using commercial extension tubes? I thought one was.

We're one of these rifles using commercial extension tubes? I thought one was.

The ruger is mil-spec. Don't know about the Sport, but it would be strange if they did because I think it would be more economical to keep just the one part. Doesn't really matter as the commercial extension works just as well unless you have other AR's that are Mil Spec so you can't swap butt stocks. Personally I wish commercial extension would just go away because of the confusion.

The ruger is mil-spec. Don't know about the Sport, but it would be strange if they did because I think it would be more economical to keep just the one part. Doesn't really matter as the commercial extension works just as well unless you have other AR's that are Mil Spec so you can't swap butt stocks. Personally I wish commercial extension would just go away because of the confusion.
Yeah, they need to go away.

Boy, I'm late to the party!

I've had a Sport 15 for a while now, and I like it a lot, in fact I just realized that I shoot it a lot more than my other AR's.
I paid $485 for it (it's a slick side) and it's been an accurate and reliable little rifle. I have no basis for a comparison with other S&W's but mine has the best darned trigger on it! Light, crisp, it's so good that I think it's just one of those, "I got lucky" coincidences where the tolerances just matched up perfectly! :)
I have no problem recommending them as a good, entry level or home defense carbine.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top