JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have an oppurtunity to buy a SAR 8 fom my cousin. I don't know a lot about them. Did some research about 6 months ago, and from what I read, and my experience with his, it seems like something I might want to have. My goal is to have a .308 that can consistently hit a dinner-plate sized target at 600 yards. My cousin also has an unused, unmounted Leupold scope that he bought for this rifle. I'll try to get the specs on that so that I can have everyone's opinion on that scope for this rifle.

At this point I really only would like opinions on this rifle, or on the Remington R-25, which is the other .308 I have been considering. Any ideas on what I should pay for the SAR 8? I am sure the round count is under 60. It's probably 20. Looks like the photo below...

sar8.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
There are two main types. Of note are the early Greek/Hellenic Arms built (EBO) rifles with stamped receivers, and later versions with Hesse (?) cast aluminum receivers. All the way around, the Greek built rifles are the preferred way to go. They were made on HK equipment by HK trained workers. They are the version that holds the most resale value in the clone market are in every way identical to an HK91 (other than the butthole stock). The later versions with their aluminum receivers have their own problems, the main one being deformation of the receiver due to the heavy recoil of a full sized cartridge. The nice thing is, with either, Springfield's lifetime warranty follows either rifle type. If your aluminum receiver fails, Springfield will try to repair it (unlikely) so from what I understand they will issue you a new M1A or equivalent amount of credit towards one (I'm not sure which).

Parts and accessories can be expensive, but if you like the rifle, they're worth it. Be aware that many parts like the collapsable stocks will not fit the aluminum receiver.

From your picture, it looks like the rifle in question has the cast receiver. If you can get it for a good price, buy it, shoot the heck out of it, and if it craps out on you, trade it in for a new M1A :) .

Keith

A dinner plate is 12" in diameter. At 600 yards, that's 2MOA for everything.

My assumption is that with that rifle, you'll just barely be able to hold that if everything is perfect.

I personally would stick with the original Sar (stamped receiver) they our identical to a HK 91 minus the ebo greek stamp. However I am a gun atheist, so if it will shoot it is a keeper. I have the same opinion of a FAL built rifle, keep in mind that it is a buyers market and any gun that says Springfield is backed by warranty. Cheers. :D

Looks like this rifle is not the weapon I was hoping it was. I still like it, so maybe I'll get it anyway, just with lower expectations. Thanks for the responses. There is so much knowledge and experience on this site for us less advanced shooters to learn from:D

I had a PTR91 for a while, which is just another HK91 clone. It was ok, but its a battle rifle. Even with hand loads and its heavy barrel I was barely able to get 2moa at 100yds. If I were to spend that kind of $$ like you would on an SAR8 (which is worth a few hundred more than a PTR91) I would rather have an AR10 type rifle. They aren't as brutal on the brass if you want to reload (you might be able to actually find the brass, hk91 clones it disappears over the horizon), they are infinitely easier to attach an optic to, you can get all kinds of drop in parts, and with the right barrel, scope, trigger and optic the can hold their own out to 1000yds. The HK91 family don't really have a good scoping option IMO, and were never really meant to be precision rifles. I am really wishing now, that I would have spent the $$ on an AR10 than on that PTR91.

Oh yeah...I forgot the brass thing. If you aren't using a port buffer, the rifle really mangles the brass.

The correct 4x Hensoldt (Zeiss) scope and Stanag mount designed to go with the rifle are rudimentary at best. Not quite as austere as a Russian PU scope from WWII, but close. Still...a cool setup if you like military hardware.

Keith

I have a PTR also, i sighted it in at 200 yards. once i got it zeroed in i shot 3 shots of hornady 165 gr SST ammo that was .75 inches. I was using a claw mount with HK quick connect rings and a tasco 8-40x56 (the old one with the big wheel). I have not had the trigger worked on yet and i'd like to get an adjustable stock. The stock ones are made for midgets. I dont know about mangled brass because it seems to fly over the horizon somewhere.. I think i need a spotter not only for my target but another one for my brass. At least now the next time i go out i will have a use for my 1200 dollar Minelab metal detector(so far i have found a penny and a .22 bullet). Anyways i absolutely love my gun so you will have to find your own but i would highly recommend it to anyone.

The gun pictured is a late model SAR-8 assembled by Springfield Armory w/ an American made cast aluminum receiver and Greek G3/SAR8 parts. These are not generally considered very good rifles. If you want a reasonably priced Hk91/G3 type rifle, you should look for an early JLD made PTR-91. They are made to a very high standard on Hk equipment (Licensed Hk Equipment from Portugal). I would shy away from later PTR 91 Inc made PTR-91s w/ TC bbls since they are having issues w/ surplus ammo due to a tight chamber. However, the new GI model PTR-91 is receiving very good reviews and can be had for around $900. It has a GI contour bbl and will digest all types of .308 & 7.62 NATO ammo reliably.

Check out HkPro Forums for more info on Hk type rifles.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top