JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey Everyone -

I am pondering moving my G26 into a home defense role and giving the position of CCW/EDC to a Sig P938. Mainly for weight and bulk savings.

I've heard a lot of mixed reviews on the 938. Some say early models had feed issues and the newer models resolved those issues, other says the issues still persist. I've heard about them only like hot ammo or SD rounds only which makes for pricey training. Others have they don't like hot ammo...

If you ask any Sig owner, they all rave about anything Sig (kind of like Glock people LOL).

Anyone have first hand experience with the 938 and/or carry it daily? It's a pricey piece and would rather do my homework before making such an investment in the future.

I bought one for the wife. We've put about 200 flawless rounds through it, cheap target rounds. I'm not a huge fan of the cheap plastic trigger with a heavy pull, but other than that, it's a pretty slick gun with night sights. We got it from Keith's, the Extreme model came with two mags, a flush and an extended, for $650, I think.

My wife hated the recoil of the xdS .45, but she doesn't mind it in the 938. I was drawn to it because my main pistol is a 1911, and I wanted her to have something with similar controls.

It's on sale right now.

I bought one a while back, it fires and feeds everything i put in it hand loads to corbon DPX loads.
I use it as my EDC and carry it in a belt pouch or a ramora holster.

I've got one and trust and like it but it took a bit of work to get it right. It has a terrible stock trigger that can be over 10lbs and gritty. Also, the trigger is sharp plastic. You can fix these issues. Tillamook precision sells a great stainless trigger. You can get a mustang main spring and clip it a bit. You can bend the sear spring a bit. And, if you polish up the trigger system parts, you can get a nice 5.5-6lb trigger, which I feel is right for this piece. If you get one and need advice, I'll guide you in the right direction. Just drop me a message.

Also, the finger groove rubber grips really help with recoil control, but these are pussycats compared to an xds 45.

Last Edited:
I'm closing on 2000 rounds through my September 2012 Nightmare, and it is the only thing I carry. It struggled with Win White Box ammunition the first day I had it, but after that first day of shooting it has only been stopped by newbies limp wristing it. It flawlessly cycles everything from Win White 115gr to Short Barrel +p Gold Dot 124gr. I cannot recommend it enough, provided you're ready to live 1911. Love this pistol!!!

I love my 938. Much nicer to shoot and easier to conceal than my XDS 45. Reliable so far - chewed thru 500 Washougal reloads. Still getting used to a manual safety vs a grip safety.

Check Slickguns for a $649 deal on the bitone model with the rubber grip and factory laser. Unfortunately you just missed a mail in rebate for two free mags.

Last Edited:
I had one. Like others said the trigger was bad. I ended up selling it and going with a G42 instead. More comfortable to carry (less sharp edges) IMHO. Blah blah 9mm vs. .380 blah.

I am considering the G42 as well. I am most familiar with the Glock manual (striker fire, trigger safety) of arms.

But I have so much 9mm on hand, I like the round a lot and the 938 felt amazing in hand. With training I can overcome bobbles with the thumb safety.

G42 isn't of the running though.

I have owned a Sig P938 Sept. 2012 and find it a very reliable weapon. I have close to 3k rounds through it now of all kinds but mainly 115gr FMJ reloads. The early models did have some issues, but Sig corrected these at no costs to the owners. I had one of the first Tillamook SS triggers installed in a 938 and they are very nice but the trigger itself does not reduce the trigger pull weight. Mine is now below 5lbs with no grit. Here is what I did well over a year ago.

No gunsmith was harmed or paid in this exercise ;^)

Trigger Pull: Brand new, unfired: 8.2lbs
Trigger felt gritty and long, makes clunking noises on reset.

Changes made to reach this point in the order done:

Cleaned the frame and all parts with brake clean to remove all oil products. (NC)
Applied Frog Lube to the entire frame and all internal parts (NC)
Polished all contact points in the hammer and sear (NC)
Polished the entire trigger bow (NC)

-----At this point the pull was averaging about 7.2 lbs--------------

Replaced the plastic trigger with a custom SS trigger from Tillamook($40.00)
Slightly changed the pull of the sear spring leaf (NC)
Replaced the main spring with a Wolff Reduced Power 20lb spring for a Colt Mustang ($4.19)
<broken link removed>

------At this point the pull was averaging about 4.3 lbs---------------

I suspect the greatest change was from the changing of the mainspring

Have shot over 600 rounds of 115gr FMJ since purchased (now over 2,900 rounds)

No recommendation is made about what you should do with your gun

No warranty or promise is made about what similar changes to your gun may result in.

Jim

PS,

The $499 price is a GREAT deal. But the "Sig" laser is crap. I went through four of them and then bought a Crimson Trace.

user_online.gif report.gif

Pic with my LCP, as you can see the Sig is not much bigger, but it is much heavier.
DSCF0751.JPG

I did all of the above (except I use mobil one and put grease on the sear/hammer contact points) as well as clipped the mainspring and got the pull to about 5.5. I couldn't get it lower and maintain reliability. But there is no comparison to the stock abysmal trigger, which is vastly improved upon.

This would be my EDC gun so I dont want to have to do trigger mods. As for weight, compared to my g26 with 11 rounds of 147 grain hydra shocks it felt like a feather lol

This would be my EDC gun so I dont want to have to do trigger mods. As for weight, compared to my g26 with 11 rounds of 147 grain hydra shocks it felt like a feather lol

I agree. I considered modding the trigger and main spring but decided I wanted out-of-the-box reliability. Enter the G42.

The biggest thing holding me back from the g42 is the surplus of 9mm I have. All of my other handguns are 9mm. Nothing to do with ballistics I just don't want to buy another stash of ammo lol.

Looks like I need to find a range with a 938 demo to try...

Not a review of the P938, but wanted to offer up something else to consider. I just purchased a SCCY CPX-2 as a compact 9mm - just waiting for it to arrive at my FFL. Comparing the specs, the two guns are very close in dimensions - the P938 is .1" wider, .2" longer and .1" shorter than the CPX-2. Plus the CPX-2 is a 10+1 against the Sig's 7+1 in a basically same sized pistol. All this for about half the price of the Sig. Worth at least looking at. There are some great reviews on YT if you haven't already looked into it.

Putting rounds down range to smooth out a trigger is of no concern to me. My G26 was gritty out of the box and after about 500+ rounds it's much smoother now. Not as smooth as my Gen2 G22, but that has thousands of rounds through it.

I just need something slimmer and lighter weight. I was looking at the shield, but the weight difference is roughly 3 ounces (2.7 ounces) and for that negligible difference I don't feel I should have to sacrifice capacity.

The 938 though is about 7 ounces lighter so I'll give up some rounds to save a half pound of weight. Half pound on your belt all day is a massive difference in comfort IMO.

Bought one after shooting my brothers. Love it. Haven't shot many different loads but I haven't had any FTF/FTE. Feels perfect in my hand with the extended grip. It's my ccw. I don't mind the trigger