JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Really? As we dealt with guys hopped up on jihad who shot up dope to keep fighting that was the best way us dumb grunts could find. Does surviving three combat tours mean you did it right?

P.S.
Insurgents moved in large groups, when you found one usually more appeared rather quickly.

Maybe you should get a squirt gun and fill it with ammonia.

People who have never seen the beast are often too ready to pontificate nonsense they have read somewhere. Once you've been there and seen it, one may receive an attitude adjustment

in my humble opinion, the only thing better than a shotgun for home protection is more than one shotgun.

my go-to is a 12GA with 00 buck. winchester riot gun, now with an 18.5" barrel.
wife's is a 16GA with 00 buck. mossberg 590 with a 20" barrel, proper sights, youth stock for a just-right LOP.

when i'm coming home late, i call first.

Really? As we dealt with guys hopped up on jihad who shot up dope to keep fighting that was the best way us dumb grunts could find. Does surviving three combat tours mean you did it right?

P.S.
Insurgents moved in large groups, when you found one usually more appeared rather quickly.

Maybe you should get a squirt gun and fill it with ammonia.
Thanks for your service and thanks for the excellent post. I agree 100%. The post about "drug crazed gangs" referred to
Blitzkrieg's fantasy life which is rich and varied.

I've been in three situations where I had to aim a loaded firearm at another human being. And let me preface this with I am a civilian. I am lucky that none of them required me to fire. The simple fact of the draw was enough to stop the threat. None of these were home invasions. But I can say with certainty that although I am very glad that I didn't have to discharge my firearm, at no point did I consider anything but lethal force. I would love to leave this world without taking another life, but I also won't leave this world because I COULDN'T.
I've only been in one situation where I even had to show I was not going to be a victim. Just showed the .45 and by the time I got the shotgun out they were gone. This was in our motorhome in the middle of Montana some years ago. I guess a couple of Spanish speaking "gentlemen" decided I looked like easy pickins'.

Well for me if someone breaks into my house I would want them to go down quick, my bedroom is on the second floor and the neighbors that are close are single story houses. I am using my shotguns loaded with winchester pdx1, between me with my Mossberg 590 and the wife backing me up with the S-12 they will have to deal with 29 rounds before a reload.

http://www.winchester.com/Products/New-Products/Pages/pdx1-12.aspx

I figured you'd be using your 458 socom with 600 grain smooshy lead head human hole punchers. They're so slow that they are perfectly safe inside a house & big enough to make 1 round do the deed.

I have actually started to buy #1 buckshot over OO buckshot. OO buck is .33 caliber and you get 9 in a standard 2 3/4 shell. #1 buck is .30 caliber and you get 16 in a standard 2 3/4 shell. That is almost double the amount of wound tracks while still attaining the FBI minimum penetration depth in gelatin. I also have some 3 inch magnum #1 buck that lets loose 24 pellets with one shot. I think that would be like spraying a guy with a Czech Skorpion all at once. My new MKA 1919 likes 3 inch shells so I am going to see how much the extra power affects shot to shot recovery time. The 870 is loaded with Federal reduced recoil for the wife but I am going to compare those against the 2 3/4 #1 buck to see if she even notices the difference... :)

I have actually started to buy #1 buckshot over OO buckshot. OO buck is .33 caliber and you get 9 in a standard 2 3/4 shell. #1 buck is .30 caliber and you get 16 in a standard 2 3/4 shell. That is almost double the amount of wound tracks while still attaining the FBI minimum penetration depth in gelatin. I also have some 3 inch magnum #1 buck that lets loose 24 pellets with one shot. I think that would be like spraying a guy with a Czech Skorpion all at once. My new MKA 1919 likes 3 inch shells so I am going to see how much the extra power affects shot to shot recovery time. The 870 is loaded with Federal reduced recoil for the wife but I am going to compare those against the 2 3/4 #1 buck to see if she even notices the difference... :)

Look at the S & B 12 pellet 00 load

S & B must stand for shoot and bury.

I really like the shotgun, it swings well, mine has a crisp 2# pull, and makes big holes. That's all one needs. I'm sure it makes a mess out of armor too.

I figured you'd be using your 458 socom with 600 grain smooshy lead head human hole punchers. They're so slow that they are perfectly safe inside a house & big enough to make 1 round do the deed.

I am waiting on getting a suppressor for the .458 to work up some subsonic loads:)

Greetings all, Recently sold my Mossburg 500. I have come to the conclusion that it is not a good fit for home defense. Yea I know. All of the experts say a 12 ga pump is the one to have. I don't know. The longest distance in the house I rent is 33ft down a hallway. At 33 ft my Mossy left a very large hole in a target, but not much else as far as spread goes. In the time I pump another shell into the chamber I can get off 3 rounds from my 9mm with a much larger pattern, Yea, I'm that bad of a shot. As the man said, "Nobody likes to bleed" and if someone has some old geezer blasting away at them with a 9mm, they are going to get out of the area. No one is going to get up after being hit with that 12. I want them to get up and leave. I mentioned I rent. I would much rather some tweeker ran away or went outside to die. My rental agency would love to have me replace this worn out carpet and I would rather explain to the police why the guy is dead in my front yard then explain to the agency why their carpet looks like I spilled wine all over it. As far as the sound of a racking pump goes. It is intimidating, but the sound of me screaming and yelling that if this tweek is going to cost me money, death will be a blessing. Well, that's my take on it.
So what are you talking about? I didn't really read through the whole thread.
Lightweight spackling compound is cheap and effective if I interpreted your concerns correctly.

So what are you talking about? I didn't really read through the whole thread.
Lightweight spackling compound is cheap and effective if I interpreted your concerns correctly.
I'm saying that in my case I can have a larger shot pattern, faster, increasing my chances of hitting Mr. Tweeker with my 13 shot 9mm. The whole carpet thing is my idea of humor.

Add on top of that adrenaline, fear, just having been woken up, it may be dark or you have a flashlight shining in your eyes.

A shotgun would mitigate a lot of that due to it firing multiple projectiles in an ever widening cone.

I'm saying that in my case I can have a larger shot pattern, faster, increasing my chances of hitting Mr. Tweeker with my 13 shot 9mm. The whole carpet thing is my idea of humor.
I understand. You could go all 360 with that gat were you of a mind. I understand humor (well, sue me) but I use slugs in a "careful" manner.

My first home defense weapon was an carbine - the 995. Over the past 3 years I have changed my thinking. I now have a shot gun.

I am not going to clear my house. I have no one down a hallway to have to protect. I am going to hunker down behind the big furniture, scream a much as I can while on the line to the police. Should someone breach the bedroom I will do the needful.

I am getting an accessory for my shotty: an 1600 lumen flashlight. And a tacti-kool rubber band to hold it on with. $40 on Amazon.

When not in the bedroom sleeping, I have different plans.
Different situations require different plans.

But my goal remains the same - I want to sleep in my own bed each night.

A mounted LED light is a must. CR123 Batts will store for 10 years. Also get one with a strobe feature, it'll confuse the intruder as well as illuminate him enough to aim.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top