JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Lots of people talk a bad about hi points, for the price they are AWESOME! Mine shoots well and has a lifetime warranty. For $150 you betcha, and I'd do it again!

View attachment 324028

And once she gets warmed up
View attachment 324029

Best part about owning a hi point is after people snicker at it I get a chance to out shoot them at the range with it with their fancy "name brand" guns.

I joke about them, but they're decent guns for the price. I owned a .45 pistol and have owned a 9mm carbine. Both were reliable, very accurate, heavy and ugly. My biggest beef has always been the 10-round magazines, especially for the carbines - it would have been nice if the developed a double stack version.

I have no problems trading/selling. I am a bit more picky about it. Few years ago I sold a Saiga rifle through this forum. One day I get a registered letter from BATF that a rifle (the Saiga) that was registered as sold to me was recovered in a drug bust somewhere in Oregon. Didn't say it was used in a crime or anything. Asked if I wanted to put a claim on the rifle. I sold it legally under the laws of the day. Just saying - now, I will sell or trade with established forum members with only good reputations. i.e., no more days of just selling to whomever that shows up with cash.

If the "whomever that shows up with cash" passes the background then I consider my due diligence to be done. Prior to SB 941 would only sell to someone with a CHL 'cause if you don't know em it can be hard to tell. Sometimes hard to tell if you do.

There are a few people I won't sell to - like my ex-wife or my ex-BIL.

But the former wouldn't pass a BGC anyway and the latter is in prison for life. Their father, who was even worse and is now thankfully dead, was a life member of the NRA and could probably pass a BGC today.

So selling to strangers? Yeah, you pretty much don't know. A person could seem fine on here or they might pass a BGC. You may think you know someone close to you, but then find out you don't. You might think someone is sketchy but they are just weird and harmless.

The BGC laws are not about keeping guns out of the hands of bad people who would misuse the firearms - bad people will get firearms one way or another, and until they do something bad that disqualifies them, they can usually pass a BGC.

BGC is about setting a benchmark for firearm ownership and disqualifying those who don't meet that standard. Obviously it does not validate the content of one's character. Most of the "mass shooters" in recent memory have passed the bgc. Personal knowledge of, or a gut feeling about, the buyer are assessment tools as well, however imperfect. I guess the question is, what is my level of responsibility for the actions of another? In my opinion.

A BGC may serve as an indicator to the seller of some level of confidence that they are not selling to a career criminal, but it probably isn't a good indicator as to whether the buyer will turn around and be the instigator of the next mass shooting, or isn't an uncaught serial killer.

What the BGC system is intended to be, is a firearm registration system.

Evidence? The requirement of the make, model, type and serial number of the firearm. None of that info is needed to know whether the buyer is qualified to buy the firearm - it is irrelevant for that purpose. It is very relevant to the gov. though in gathering data on who owns what firearms and what types, and can be (and probably is) used to profile firearm owners as to who may be a threat to gov. power in the future, and who's door to kick in first when confiscation happens. Also to act as evidence in court when confiscation happens.

I will probably not see this as it will take decades and my likely lifetime doesn't extend that far, but my kids may see it. Besides, when I retire in 3-4 years I will take up residency in a "free state" that doesn't track private firearm sales, at which point my firearms will legally be "off the books".

P89 was my first pistol too. Big, heavy, reliable. I've bought and sold P89's 3 times now. Can't seem to stay away from them, but can't seem to hold onto them either.
I still have an 89 too. I bought it when the great mag ban went in. Did not want it but wanted at least one double stack 9. Bought a bunch of Ruger mags and then years later Midway had some of those USA JUNK mags in 15 and 20 round on sale. I bought a couple and they worked so bought a few more. The 20 round mags are hard to get in the pistol but the damn thing still never misses a beat even with them. I never liked that strange P series trigger but I ended up keeping the pistol for Wife. It's a house gun. Loaded with +P Speer it's heavy enough she can shoot it. I like that I know it will go off 16 times if needed. So even though I still think it's an ugly damn thing it will most likely be here for life. It just works so damn well.

I joke about them, but they're decent guns for the price. I owned a .45 pistol and have owned a 9mm carbine. Both were reliable, very accurate, heavy and ugly. My biggest beef has always been the 10-round magazines, especially for the carbines - it would have been nice if the developed a double stack version.
When the HP's first hit I thought surely they would either not work and or blow. Years later I got to try one. It worked. later another it worked. Now flash forward many years they are still going. If someone can't afford anything else it would be great.
Now the carbines are another story. Back when they were selling for around $150 I almost bought one a few times. Back when they looked like those guns from the original Planet of the Apes movie. Ugly Stick was the nickname that stuck. The damn things worked though. The one thing I could never understand was why they made them with those proprietary mags. If they had made those take something standard like Glock mags they would have been selling like no tomorrow. Now they have dressed them up a lot, much nicer looking. Of course twice the price too. Pro mag makes higher cap mags that like everything they make gets real mixed reviews. Another maker started making 15 round mags for them that get better reviews, Red Ball. VERY odd looking mags but they are supposed to work better.

As many have expressed here, Ive sold guns to buy or trade up to something else Ive wanted. Unfortunately most of the ones Ive traded off I later wished I had KEPT:(... Still Ive probably got enuff to go around and keep "fed"... 'S funny, the ones I lusted after the most are now safe queens.. ivory-gripped Lugar P, minty Python, "built" sporting Mauser, civilian BHP, accurised Colt Combat Commander... etc.. stuff like that. I carry a Glock which strikes me as humorous since I have always hated "plastic fantastic" but I guess the AR15 and Ruger P95 broke me in on the plastic...

I first thought no I would not sell or trade any of my guns, but now I am thinking about it.. I have an unmolested 1950 Marlin 336A waffletop in 35 Remington that I just cant get the nerve to drill and tap for a scope. I cant see the iron sights any more so I am thinking of maybe trading it for a Marlin 444 (pistol grip version)

Im conflicted

Last Edited:
I used to buy and sell a lot of guns, for many reasons, including needing to keep the lights on from time to time (recession? yea, selling guns kept us afloat). But since universal background checks, I've only purchased 2 and sold 1, and I doubt I'll be doing much more selling. It's a massive hassle, expensive, and completely unprofitable to sell guns anymore.

Stupid bubblegum bubblegumin law.

I've sold but a few guns. A couple I regret. They paid the bills at a tough time in my life. Since then things have continually looked up. I've given to my son 5 or 6 guns, my two sons in law another 3 or 4 each. It's made me a happy guy. Each of my daughters have indicated a pistol preference and that's what I'm working on now. Whenever I go I have all the rest of them identified and they will all go to family members.

I never have been glad I sold any of my guns, it's been a mistake every time.

To put it another way, the number of times I've thought, "boy, I'm sure glad I sold that" has been zero.

I first thought no I would not sell or trade any of my guns, but now I am thinking about it.. I have an unmolested 1950 Marlin 336A waffletop in 35 Remington that I just cant get the nerve to drill and tap for a scope. I cant see the iron sights any more so I am thinking of maybe trading it for a Marlin 444 (pistol grip version)

Im conflicted
Lyman makes a nice peep sight ( the model 66 ) that you drill and tap on the side of the receiver.
Your rifle might have been drilled and tapped by Marlin , not sure when they started doing that.
Anyway a peep sight works really well and is a nice alternative to a scope...
Andy

Lyman makes a nice peep sight ( the model 66 ) that you drill and tap on the side of the receiver.
Your rifle might have been drilled and tapped by Marlin , not sure when they started doing that.
Anyway a peep sight works really well and is a nice alternative to a scope...
Andy
Love the peep sight. My grandfather taught me to shoot when I was a wee feller and the peep was his optic of choice. Many a squirrel was ushered to Valhalla by old eyes peering thru a peep and a steady hand on the wheel. So to speak.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top