JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Mrs 3M and I have shield 9's and we a re both very happy with them. When we went shopping for her I decided that I would migrate all my pistols to the same line as hers so they would all function exactly the same so there would be no confusion ifor her n the event of an emergency. Not a factor for me, but I'm a gun guy. Plus it would simplify her training and lessen the possibility of an accidental discharge while she was learning.

After a LOT of shopping and testing we went with the M&P line. The grip fits her hand well and for me was my #2 choice (Glock was #1), ergonomics were as good as the others, but a big factor for her is that the M&P line requires little force to charge. Not a factor for me, but wimmen and their nails...

We have a full size M&P 9 for things that go bump in the night, a matching M&P 22 for practice, and each chose the Shield 9 as our carry pieces. Oddly, of all of them I shoot the Shields better and it seems to have less felt recoil than the full size 9. I think it may be the compact geometry of having the slide lower relative to the griip. Yes, I also pretty much standardized on 9mm as well to avoid confusion in emergencies. They also all have the optional frame safety to keep the battery of arms identical.

It's been mentioned that a subcompact pistol may not be your best option when a situation happens. For me,the Shield is plenty accurate for self defense distances, and I practice mag changes to mitigate the smaller capacity. The size of the Shield means that I can more easily conceal it so that if there is a situation I will at least be armed. If I need more than than 24 rounds (3 mags) to get out of trouble then I don't need a pistol I need the rifle that's always in whatever vehicle I'm driving.

Personally, I would, and did, choose the Shield. The wife and I both like the feel and shiitability. My wife's is a 1.0 and I liked it so much I purchased a 2.0. Mine came with the built in CT red laser, not my first choice but a great gun. I won't let my wife shoot it because I won't see it again. This is my go to gun for discrete carry. This is a companion to my M&P9. I would like to get an M&P9C 4", don't know why but, just would. LOL

MagGuts is a company you should look into if you go with a Shield. They make sets of magazine guts (follower and spring and end plate) that add a round to Shield mags without extending them at all. They also have a +2 that only extends it like a 1/4". They work great and add capacity!

Also note I have handled and shot both firearms and was accurate and comfortable with both

Guys! He has shot both firearms!!! Please adjust your fire... :D

My brother has a Shield 9mm that I shot at the range... didn't care for it but I'm used to a double stack grip, big difference! His is highly concealable and he likes to appendix carry also. If concealability is most important, go for it. Otherwise consider a pistol with higher capacity.

Does the XD compact have the same high barrel position that it's big brothers have? If so, that might be a factor in shootability.

Last Edited:
Personally, Wife and I found the .40 M&P 2.0 to be about the best of the sorta compacts, light and easy to conceal and accurate enough with the extra power of the .40! The Shield 9 mm went away!
Another good option is a Glock 26 with a few mods, like extended mag release!

I thought the XD Compact would be a real neat gun, til I shot two. (one from before and the other after the recall) Crappy trigger and not very accurate. The most telling part? The two guys who owned them when I shot them got rid of them shortly after.

I went with the Kahr CM9 over the sheild or XDs and have no regrets. The smaller size of the CM9 is what interested me in it and I found I really like the ergonomics and the trigger. I also have a XDs 3.3 in 45acp which I really like for carrying in the woods... and Portland. I love my XD mod 2 in 45acp! The extra width makes it a much nicer shooter with the extended magazine... but it doesn't conceal as easily.

If there is any chance you can shoot each pistol it would definitely be worth the money and effort because the best gun is really the gun you shoot the best and are most comfortable with. As far as construction and reliability goes I would be comfortable with either the XD or Shield... they both have excellent reputations for reliability.

The Sig P365 has a really nice feel to it, is a great size and is a double stack... I am just not sure if I would trust my life to it because of problems some owners have had.

Last Edited:
I like mine
The trigger is much better than my Kahr CW9 and I am more accurate.
They are relatively inexpensive these days as well.
I say it's a good choice.

If you get one get one of the newer 2.0 models.

Plenty of aftermarket should you need holsters/sights etc. Very reliable and accurate to. Usually prefer my Shied 45 as its a good size/weight. Just remember to actually carry the thing daily with you. They've got them in 3 flavors 9/40/45 so you can find your perfect fit. Look for some deals online and see what you like best.

I can tell you that I regret trading mine away. Great, easily concealable little pistols. That said, I currently carry an LCP 1 daily, as my workplace demands a lot of discretion. They aren't anti 2a, as far as I know, but it is against company policy to carry there.
I would carry my Glock 30s, which I carry on off days, or something full size if the situation allowed.

I own a shield 9mm and a glock 43 shield 45 and have experience with other single stack subcompact. I like the shield but I feel out of the glock, ruger, xds it shoots all over. Kinda like a shotgun pattern lol. The glock was the tightest. This was all at 7 to 10 yards. So definitely try stuff out. Its makes if easier.

I had one of those little Kahr 9mms. Neat little gun and was reasonably accurate. It took a little while to get used to the extremely long trigger pull, but it was a well made, well functioning gun. Trigger pull like the S&W Bodyguard, but a nicer gun with more power. Sometimes I wish I'd kept it because it was easier to tuck away than the Shield. But seeing as I had a TCP that I believed covered the "mouse gun" role, I sold it after getting my Shield. Bad call. The TCP, which had been a reliable piece, once failed to feed the second round after being carried for days. Hasn't been out of the safe since.
My wife has a Glock 43 that she likes. She bought it because it's Tiffany Blue and matches her daughters. I thought that was the most stupid reason to buy a gun, but she shoots it better than she does her Smith 642, so it all worked out well.

Shield was my first EDC and I carried it for awhile but my g45 gets more sunlight now, once you're acclimated to carrying a big gun it's not an issue

I love my Shield, here's my daily carry.
20190504_174805.jpg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top