JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello! I recently turned 21 and obtained a CCL! I've been doing research on the m&p but would like some thoughts from some of you guys! My first choice was the Springfield Xd9 subcompact but recently the m&p has been getting my attention a lot! I appreciate any feedback! Also note I have handled and shot both firearms and was accurate and comfortable with both

Hello! I recently turned 21 and obtained a CCL! I've been doing research on the m&p but would like some thoughts from some of you guys! My first choice was the Springfield Xd9 subcompact but recently the m&p has been getting my attention a lot! I appreciate any feedback! Also note I have handled and shot both firearms and was accurate and comfortable with both
I have two .
Well I have one now the other is in the mail .
Ordered it Tusday from PSA .
I like it I carry it all the time now.
But the mag capacity is limited.
So I carry it with the 8 round mag and one in the pipe.
And then carry two or three 10 round mags.
Depends on what I am wearing.
The seven round mag that comes with it.
Is useless.

MVIMG_20190219_095616.jpg 00000PORTRAIT_00000_BURST20190323170424197.jpg IMG_20190323_170349.jpg

Both are good reliable pistols. It might come down to what is available as aftermarket purchases or which has the best after purchase factory support. No matter which one you pick - it won't be your last firearm purchase.

Congrats on the CCL! No experience with the Shield 9mm as I carry a Shield .45, but those who I know do, swear by it. You might also consider the M&P 2.0 Compact with 3.6" barrel, negligibly larger and 15+1 capacity...

When I was in the market for a sub-compact a couple of years ago, the contenders were...
S&W Shield
Glock G43
Walther PPS-M2

The Walther won.
I can shoot it for long range sessions, it's very accurate and it feels like a full size with the 8 rd mag.

The SIG P365 has had teething issues, but seems to be getting on with it.
That is one to take a look at as well.

I'd shoot both and see which I liked better. Also as another here said get some proper training and practice, practice, practice.

This is my standard response when folks ask for thoughts on sub compacts...

Is a short sight radius'd, reduced capacity, greater recoiling, single stack gun the gun you want to fight with and bet your life on?

Time was that if you needed your CCW gun it was likely going to be for something of a more personal nature...an attempted mugging or because you walked in on a convent store robbery.

Nowadays, however, we have people flying jet liners into buildings, and people blowing up marathons, and Aloha Snackers executing white males on the streets of Fresno because they're white and because religion of peace, and people driving vans through crowds, and people shooting up schools, and movie theaters, and malls, and churches, and work Christmas parties, etc.

So is a sub compact the gun you would want in any of those situations? And maybe it is. My point, however, is that many people only think about a sub compact being nice to conceal and carry. And they are. But make sure you're giving equal thought to whether it's the gun you would actually want if your life or the lives of your family depended on it...particularly given that a Glock 19 sized weapon is easily concealed by most people.

Also...if you do decide on a sub compact, make absolutely sure you rent and try out the exact model you're thinking of getting. Many sub compacts can be pretty unpleasant to shoot...even in 9mm. So make sure you try it and like how it shoots before you put your money down.

And you'll also probably sort out more in 30 minutes on the range than anything any of us can tell you here. Plus it will be fun. :)

Go shoot a couple different things and see what you like and shoot best. Since turning 21 (5 years ago) I've tried about 20 different carry pistols and found that I pretty much prefer glocks to everything else. If I would've went to a range and tested a bunch of different handguns then I would've figured that out much sooner and saved myself a lot of money ;)

My opinion on the shield is; they run great, even with zero maintenance (my friend has one he doesn't lube and has a habit of getting sand in it) but... And this is huge to me... It has the worst grip I've ever felt. Too narrow to grab tightly, too long of a grip to wrap my pinky under with the "flush" magazines and way too low capacity to justify it's size. I can get sightly smaller guns with the same or greater capacity, or sightly larger guns with much greater capacity. So to me it's a no go despite the fact they're inexpensive and run run RUN

Last Edited:
My opinion is; they run great, even with zero maintenance (my friend has one he doesn't lube and has a habit of getting sand in it) but... And this is huge to me... It has the worst grip I've ever felt. Too narrow to grab tightly, too long of a grip to wrap my pinky under with the "flush" magazines and way too low capacity to justify it's size. I can get sightly smaller guns with the same or greater capacity, or sightly larger guns with much greater capacity. So to me it's a no go despite the fact they're inexpensive and run run RUN
XD9 ?
Shield ?

I opted for the shield as well. I tried a few sub-compacts and the shield just fit my hand better. Try them out and see what works best for you. Everyone has their own preference, but you can't go wrong with either.

Congrats on the CCL! No experience with the Shield 9mm as I carry a Shield .45, but those who I know do, swear by it. You might also consider the M&P 2.0 Compact with 3.6" barrel, negligibly larger and 15+1 capacity...
My neighbor has one he just got it .
He has only shot it a few times .
Because he hasn't had time to get to the range .
But I think we are going to get out next week or next weekend.

Lol funny story on how I got two.
Well one on the way.
My sister and her friend went and got there CPL.
So they where at my house on Tuesday night.
Looking at my shield.
They shot it a few weeks ago.
And liked it.
Lol so I was showing them how to order a gun online.
So I go through the whole deal on the PSA website they have all my information already.
Because I order stuff all the time.
So I say all I have to do is hit the complete transaction.
And I hit the button.
Lol .
Bling you order has been placed.
So I bought a gun on a ACCEDENT.

Go shoot a couple different things and see what you like and shoot best. Since turning 21 (5 years ago) I've tried about 20 different carry pistols and found that I pretty much prefer glocks to everything else. If I would've went to a range and tested a bunch of different handguns then I would've figured that out much sooner and saved myself a lot of money ;)
This won't be his only gun .
I bet .
I have two Glocks also

Lol funny story on how I got two.
Well one on the way.
My sister and her friend went and got there CPL.
So they where at my house on Tuesday night.
Looking at my shield.
They shot it a few weeks ago.
And liked it.
Lol so I was showing them how to order a gun online.
So I go through the whole deal on the PSA website they have all my information already.
Because I order stuff all the time.
So I say all I have to do is hit the complete transaction.
And I hit the button.
Lol .
Bling you order has been placed.
So I bought a gun on a ACCEDENT.

Better an accidental card charge than an accidental discharge! Nothing wrong with having a spare for your EDC pistol.

I highly recommend the Shield.
Like previously mentioned I didn't like the shape of the grip frame, but that all went away after I shot it. I shoot it better than any other smaller gun and it is far more accurate than any other short barreled handgun I've ever owned or shot (and that's no small number). I prefer the longer mag for shooting, but the short one isn't all that bad to hold onto.
Mine is a 40. Great little piece.
Shield.jpg

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews