JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So i'm wanting to get a Daniel Defense AR and it has to be local. I saw a couple gun shops in Portland that carry DDs and was thinking of driving up to trade my Saiga AK74 towards one. Problem is, I don't want to drive that far if i'm not going to get a fair deal.
The thing i'm wondering about is how often do DDs sell? I can imagine they sit a lot simply because they are expensive and I thought perhaps if I trade my AK for one they might drop the price and give me a good deal. On one hand though we're talking about Daniel Defense, I could easily see them sticking to their price.
What do you guys think? Do you think I could get a good deal and have them drop the price on their DDs a little? Or is that highly unlikely?

A fair shop will give you 75% of the price they will sell your trade for and wiggle a little on the DD, depending on what they paid, new/used etc.
IF they are interested in it.
I was once offered $300 trade in for a S&W 500 revolver that I'd bought for $900 at the same store less than 2 years prior.

If you are prepared to get offered less than half the value of your AK, then sure. Best bet is to sell it outright, then buy what you want.
Have you looked into buying one online and having it shipped to a local dealer? Would probably save you a lot of $ compared to coming to PDX for a retail buy.

So i'm wanting to get a Daniel Defense AR and it has to be local. I saw a couple gun shops in Portland that carry DDs and was thinking of driving up to trade my Saiga AK74 towards one. Problem is, I don't want to drive that far if i'm not going to get a fair deal.
The thing i'm wondering about is how often do DDs sell? I can imagine they sit a lot simply because they are expensive and I thought perhaps if I trade my AK for one they might drop the price and give me a good deal. On one hand though we're talking about Daniel Defense, I could easily see them sticking to their price.
What do you guys think? Do you think I could get a good deal and have them drop the price on their DDs a little? Or is that highly unlikely?
The AR market is saturated. It is a buyers market.. you'll probably take a hit to move it unless a guy is dead set on having that brand name.

I was once offered $300 trade in for a S&W 500 revolver that I'd bought for $900 at the same store less than 2 years prior.

Like I said, a fair shop. Here in the Spokane area, I only deal with NW collector arms on Pines, if I'm thinking about a trade. Keith out there is always super fair. There are also tons of shops around that will peel you for every cent they can.

Yah, tough call.

Best bet would be calling around, rather than wasting your time driving all over. Some may in fact be interested, but at what loss to you? Most I'd imagine, may not be interested. It's a niche, albeit premium rifle, against a premium AR.

I honestly don't hold a grudge on shops whom low ball, they are a business after all.

If we weren't all ready set with 74's I'd be contacting you. Nice rifle!

Yah, tough call.

Best bet would be calling around, rather than wasting your time driving all over. Some may in fact be interested, but at what loss to you? Most I'd imagine, may not be interested. It's a niche, albeit premium rifle, against a premium AR.

I honestly don't hold a grudge on shops whom low ball, they are a business after all.
Only reason I asked here was all the places I asked wouldnt give me an idea over the phone.

Only reason I asked here was all the places I asked wouldnt give me an idea over the phone.

Ahh, bummer. Again tho, sight unseen and all.

Edit, adding: so would not be worth your driving. IMO. Likely just a sales ploy to get you in the shop and haggle more. At a steep loss. Dunno tho, mayhaps would be worthwhile (unlikely tho).

Last Edited:
Apples and oranges are both good.

24EBB74F-9260-4F55-995A-D9AC3CE90729.jpeg

"How do you like them apples"

Trick with everything is finding someone who likes your Apple, and isn't looking for Oranges...

i tried to trade a few guns at Keith's when i moved here a few years back, he offered me less than half of what cabela's was offering. Bear in mind i didn't want to sell i wanted to trade and was willing to offer cash on my end. I told him what i was offered at cabela's and he went on a triad about how my Belgium hi power was worth less than 200 and my colt combat commander about 175. and cabela's was just offering me 500 each because they wanted me to open a credit card account. This was 4 years ago. needless to say I didn't do any business with him that day and haven't since.
I did go back two other times thinking i had just got him on a bad day due to others here saying good things about him, each time it was the same, my m1 garand, was only worth 300 and my norinco uzi clone was worth 200.
I will never go back there.

Did you give Tick Licker in Salem a call? They might be able to help you out and would be a lot closer.

Not exactly surprisingly. The Smith and Wesson .500s are a really "painful" firearm to Shoot - either Now or Later. I was visiting the Factory in 2005 and had a chance to Shoot one with the offer of "As much as you want aka:unlimited Factory Ammunition" Two of the Younger Members finally got through a 2nd Cylinder but most folks quit after a few rounds of at most a Single Cylinder. This was especially true with the 4" Barreled Guns that weren't being offered with any type of "Porting". The guys who got through Two Cylinders were Shooting the 8-3/8" Guns, but even they expressed that the Unlimited Ammunition option wasn't something they were interested in.

FWIW I choose to simply "Watch" others "Enjoy" the PAIN. LOTS of Ice and Heavy Drinks were flowing that night at the Hotel!!!:):):)

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top