Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Thoughts on Montana

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by mrblond, Sep 21, 2013.

1. mrblond

mrblond Salem OR Well-Known Member

I would like some honest opinions of Of Montana . My mom has gotten sick and I am going to be her primary care giver . She has some land up there but I don't know what part of the state it's in or what the terrain is like.
    I really don't wish to sell the house in the ghetto to end up moving to meth monkey centeral.

2. ATCclears

ATCclears Seattle area, WA Well-Known Member

I've heard the Flathead valley around Kalispell is generally OK, but that is just informal commentary.

Peter

3. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Jimmy Buffett said it best. Here's his insight on a long cold Montana winter.

Lately, newspaper mentioned cheap air fare
    I gotta to fly to Saint Somewhere
    I'm close to bodily harm

Twenty degrees and the hockey game's on
    Nobody cares they are way too far gone
    Screamin', "Boat drinks", something to keep 'em all warm

This mornin', I shot six holes in my freezer
    I think I got cabin fever
    Somebody sound the alarm

4. mrblond

Gimme a nice, cold winter over a hot summer in the ghetto. My sister and her family lived in kalispell for a few years

5. PopsBdog

PopsBdog Southern Oregon Active Member

A location would help. Montana is a really big state. One of my favorites to visit.
    There are mountains, plains, the Canadian border, even a few small cities.
    It has great hunting and fishing.
    Most of the people I met are kind and honest.
    It gets really cold in the winter.

evltwn and (deleted member) like this.
  6. mrblond

Well my 1st pick was Alaska :laugh: I would love a piece of land I could hunt on but the most important thing for me is no neighbors. Cows are fine though.

7. U201491

U201491 Well-Known Member

Lots of drug use and drunks in the western city areas.
    Hot summers, cold winters in grasshopper country and great trout fishing. Big open plains and crazy grizzes in the mountains.
    Nice place to be FROM. :D

8. U201491

Good choice and and and and THERE IS LOTS OF GOLD THERE :)

9. Lightning

Lightning Pasco Member

Lived there for 45 years. Great place to be FROM. Narrow down the area and I can tell you about it.

10. unklekippy

unklekippy In The Mountains Near Sprague River Well-Known Member

I love Montana. I really love the NW corner of Montana. I have never been to the SE area of Montana, but the rest is beautiful. When we were looking to buy our property, I considered Northern Idaho, Northern, specifically Northwestern Montana and South and Southeast Oregon. We ended up in Southern Oregon, but I believe we would have been as happy in Montana.

In all fairness, I have never lived there and never spent more than a week in one place. I have travelled by car through most of the state, whether passing through or seeing the sights. Obviously, downtown Helena, rural Libby and somewhere in a desolate mountain range are three entirely separate ad unique things. In general, I'm a big fan of Montana.

11. drew

drew OR Well-Known Member

I liked most of Western Montana quite a bit. Didn't spend more than a couple days in one place though. Beautiful country and it seemed like most towns had a gun shop and a fly shop.

12. U201491

The region around Libby is not a place to settle near.
    It has been a place of serious vermiculite mining and that as you know is asbestos.
    They have a very unhealthy situation happening there.

CARD: Center for Asbestos Related Diseases in Libby Montana

13. U201491

Granddad and his Parents homesteaded there in the 1800's
    It is nice country, but was tough life to survive there in his time.
    Tough folks they were, that settled it.

BoonDocks36 and (deleted member) like this.
  14. Old as Dirt

Old as Dirt Pacific NW Active Member

Bitterroot Valley.. Close to Victor is nice, but getting expensive.. not as bad as some parts of Wyoming, south of the lower entry of Yellowstone.

15. mortar maggot

mortar maggot western wa Active Member

truly depends on the location, what your moms' needs are for further medical care, does your mom insist on living in "her" home and are you okay with this?

16. unklekippy

unklekippy In The Mountains Near Sprague River Well-Known Member

Wow. I had no idea. Funny that the realtor didn't mention it, eh?

BoonDocks36 and (deleted member) like this.
  17. Sling Blade

Sling Blade Yamhill County Well-Known Member

:laugh:

18. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

Browning Montana is just the place to wave your dick around. yea, that's a joke.. good luck driving through let alone getting gasoline (without dying), just so you know good talk
    Let us know where you forgot where your mother was/is.

19. BoonDocks36

BoonDocks36 Oregon, in the boondocks Christian. Conservative. Male.

A real mental visual photograph, it is yep !!!! So, lets MOVE all of the Wind Mills that are ~supposed~ to produce Electricity, out of Oregons, to that there Montana Place ???? ;)

As far as drunks err drinking goes, my nephew moved there... "Like his father" before him, he can not say two words with out three beers between them... That is word one MORE......(beerX3) .... Word Two BEER (beerX3) Repeat as needed....

Mind you, I do not object to a man having a cold one, but never to the neglect of spouse & children.... And that is part of that family, every brother, following their Fathers footsteps...

But I digress from the topic...

Montana, loved the original peoples who pioneered the land, My GREAT Uncle was one of the LAST Free Range Cowboys, met him 58, 59 years ago, and still have a vivid memory, of Uniqueness in the Man. Not just his "saddle legs" but tarnation, he was real!!!!!

Gosh, yes, I was there once, and the cold was so cold my goose bumps had goose bumps, that had icecycles hanging from them !!!!

philip, who could make up a story like that ????? In the BoonDocks!

20. FarmerTed1971

FarmerTed1971 Portland, Oregon, United States Well-Known Member

Will you have a job there? That's the important thing. If you can be employed well I think it would be a great place to live. Especially if you like to hunt, fish and take photographs.

My wife is from there, and couldn't get out fast enough. Most of her family still lives there and we go back once a year. Its fun, and beautiful. Not sure if I could live there full time though. Different strokes....