JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am starting to venture into HAM land. I am currently studying for my technician license but still need my first radio.

Out the gate I was thinking of a nice hand held (e.g. VX-8dr) but then I realized that it would be fairly limited in its use to me. I stepped back and wondered what I would be using it for:

I figure I will want a stronger radio at home capable of hearing emergency broadcasts and for communicating with responders. I was thinking of a "shack-in-a-box" (e.g. FT-857D) because of its tri-band capacity. Then a handheld in case I need to be mobile from home.

Naturally there is a trade off: if you want something that does everything; it will do nothing powerfully. So I am pondering just getting a HF transceiver.

I would appreciate hearing some HAM's opinions. Am I better off just getting a good HF rig or should I go for a tri-band? Should I start out with something like a FT-450. Just starting into this I am not trying to break the bank.

If it matters I am in Seattle, plenty of hills, at about 200-feet ASL.

Well, you don't get many privileges in the HF bands as a tech. A small piece of 10 meter is all if I remember. As a tech, I use 2 meter and 70 cm only. I find HT's to be ok for a pinch, but a good mobile radio and power supply works well for a base station. I have a Yaesu FT 2900 at home and an Icom 2300H here at my office. Both using a magnetic mount dual band antenna. At home its stuck to a large baking pan/cookie sheet and here I have one stuck to a metal filing cabinet. both work well for a ground plane.

I can work the Mt. Hood repeater from my office in Hillsboro with ease.

IMG_3052.jpg

My setup. And for emergency communications, I think 2 meter or 70cm will be fine for somewhat local traffic. HF doesn't really have set frequencies like 2 meter/70cm and it takes a lot of tweaking and a good antenna tuned correctly to get it to even work at all.

I really like our Icom 208H dual band (2m/70cm), for whatever it is worth. The handheld I have from Alinco has been problematic, but now is functional. The little I've played with the Baofeng handhelds have been positive. YMMV.

Parenthetically, one tool that makes programming and backing up radios easy is CHIRP. It is free, open-source, and runs on Windows, macOS, and Linux.

Good luck with your studies and passing the test. :)

1 July is the new question pool; gitter done! $5.00 tests in Salem.

For under $75.00, the Baofeng 8HPs can be had. Not the "Ruger Red Label" of ham radios, but they will program GMRS, MURs, most Scanner, WX, & the 2m ham bands.

An 18" SMA (female) to a 239 (male) jumper is a great adapter for RG8 coax. There are also SMA (female) long whip antennas. Factory "rubber ducks" are like boobs on a bore-hog...:D

A 19" 2 meter jungle antenna (dipole) is easy to make and is nearly invisible when deployed; look up the NC Scout.

HTB1KyjIHXXXXXchXFXXq6xXFXXXs.jpg
Gold!

(468/freq=antenna length)

X2 on CHIRP and dual-band mag mount antennas.

A 50 watt 2 meter mobile rig is the cat's meow for those bands. I have an old D700 in my truck that can also send email and text MSG via APRS and the nation-wide digi...

I use two 5w Yaesu HTs with a home-brew J Pole at the house, I can hit nearly every repeater from MT Hood to MT Hebo to Grants Pass. The Yaesu FT2D will also send pics via Slow Scan (SSTV).
Edit: without the internet or phone towers...priceless!:cool:

My humble 100w HF starter kit is approaching $1,300.00 and I'm still shopping for antennas....but I've talked to VA, CT, FL, TX, AZ, IL, CO, MN, MI, CA, & SC on 20 meters (the "day time band").

If you like learning, amature radio is a great-great Segway!

View attachment 439124

My setup. And for emergency communications, I think 2 meter or 70cm will be fine for somewhat local traffic. HF doesn't really have set frequencies like 2 meter/70cm and it takes a lot of tweaking and a good antenna tuned correctly to get it to even work at all.

Have the same rig (Yaesu 1900R (?) w/external pwr) with good outside antenna for use during emergencies as a mobile along with 3 Yaesu FT 65 handitalks with external vehicle antennas for those important in my life to use to assure they have communication with me to meet at a central location.

I am starting to venture into HAM land. I am currently studying for my technician license but still need my first radio.

Out the gate I was thinking of a nice hand held (e.g. VX-8dr) but then I realized that it would be fairly limited in its use to me. I stepped back and wondered what I would be using it for:

I figure I will want a stronger radio at home capable of hearing emergency broadcasts and for communicating with responders. I was thinking of a "shack-in-a-box" (e.g. FT-857D) because of its tri-band capacity. Then a handheld in case I need to be mobile from home.

Naturally there is a trade off: if you want something that does everything; it will do nothing powerfully. So I am pondering just getting a HF transceiver.

I would appreciate hearing some HAM's opinions. Am I better off just getting a good HF rig or should I go for a tri-band? Should I start out with something like a FT-450. Just starting into this I am not trying to break the bank.

If it matters I am in Seattle, plenty of hills, at about 200-feet ASL.

James, suggestion, besides studying for the technician examination, study for the general as well. Rationale, I finished the technician examination with time left so the testing team asked if i wanted to take the general, so w/o prep I said, SURE.

I missed passing General by one question and I kicked myself as I thought i would study and take it later so concentrated my efforts on the technician material. ONE question.

As for gear, like individualization of vehicles, Chevy or Ford, or firearms, POS glocks or FNH, hams have their own perspective of which is best. Another suggestion, first decide why or how do you wish to use the equipment, e.g., personal emergency use, REACT, recreation, etc., and will it be operated from a private residence or an apartment as such constraints dictate your antenna; just as with a firearm purchase, is it to be used for PD, competition, hunting, etc.

Finally, find an Elmer you trust to be your mentor, this individual will assist in discerning repeater activities etc.

best of luck on your examination and pop back letting us know how you did.

I would avoid Baofeng in general. I have owned probably 6 of their offerings, and EVERY ONE has failed in one way or another after light use. Not worth it. Spend a little more for a reliable radio. Just my opinion.

(2m/70cm) is all you need

HF can be so picky due to global conditions that it can be great one day, and garbage the next with the exact same radio and antenna. My dad has been a ham for 55 years and still complains all the time about conditions being lousy for HF. There's more to it than the radio and antenna.

So of course guys chit chat on these listen in on all kinds of conversations, I've always known that, but is it really to have a way to communicate when all else fails? Is that the intention of doing this in 2018? In a SHTF scenario or hell, any event will cause cell disruptions, see no coverage at sporting events.

I can see the draw to that line of thinking and has me more curious now than before as to how to get started.

So of course guys chit chat on these listen in on all kinds of conversations, I've always known that, but is it really to have a way to communicate when all else fails? Is that the intention of doing this in 2018? In a SHTF scenario or hell, any event will cause cell disruptions, see no coverage at sporting events.

I can see the draw to that line of thinking and has me more curious now than before as to how to get started.

Good question. Everything can fail, including cell towers and ham repeaters. I think its more redundancy, coupled with Ham radios that can operate on simplex (radio to radio direct) for some respectable distances as long as line of sight is not impeded.

yes, during natural phenomenon e.g., when someone started a fire between massive power grid's lines coming from the north part of the state and shut themseves and therfore the entire grid serving Albuquerque down for about five hours.

Or while traveling and you get caught by errant weather like hurricanes, tornados, massive snow storms, etc.

apocalyptic events if you aren't a prep'r, you are right, your toast. Now if worried about overhead EMP events, should have extra battery handitalk and 100 watt moble equipment in stake grounded large olde microwave unit (faraday cage) for your use.

I can attest to hurricane use as well as other emergency use. I personally do not randomly chat and when strangers ask about the multi freq antenna on the vehicle - it is for my CB rig!

Finally, assure all equipment has the 10 NWS freq.

aslo heard nothing but complaints about baofeng buyer beware

I would avoid Baofeng in general. I have owned probably 6 of their offerings, and EVERY ONE has failed in one way or another after light use. Not worth it. Spend a little more for a reliable radio. Just my opinion.

Own 6 Baofeng 2 Yeasu and 2 Kenwood....All (most that are 8+yrs old) mine have worked for 8 yrs+.... I agree the higher end electronics are built better but, depending on use....a $45 BF for throwing around with an upgraded antenna isn't your normal Midland FRS 30 mile range walkie. plus has more benefits. Starting off start cheap, esp if you dont know what you want. YMMV

I had 2 BF's internal mics die, another one the display backlight quit, one more stopped turning on and the last one wouldn't transmit even though it seemed it was. Oh yeah, and one that stopped transmitting the squelch tone codes out of nowhere.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top