JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Walker Bluetooth is what I roll. Can't complain aside from a loose battery cover.

The Howards are okish. Thought I was upgrading from plain ole plugs. Turns out plugs are still way more comfortable for hours at the range.

I'm looking into electronic plugs lately, not entirely excited about the prices of available options.

This thread got me thinking about in-ear pro. I use the Peltor Sport Tac 500's and have found them uncomfortable when shooting a rifle with a scope.

What brands have you already researched to be good?

Pro Tip: Make sure that whatever set you get has and/or can accept the gel ear cups. They're far more comfortable and provide better seals with glasses than anything else on the market. If you can't get gel cups, find a different brand. Just my opinion. :)

I have two parts of the Howard Leight Impact Pro electronic ear muffs. I have worn these for classes as well. I do wear glasses as well. We took breaks for training as well so I was able to take them off sometimes. One class everyone had electronic mufflers for so we just leave them on instead of taking them off.

Impact Pro Electronic Earmuff

I'm getting a pair soon. Do most pairs just completely silence anything above threshold or do you still hear it as a sort of "TV gunshot" sound? I'm not so sure about something that makes gunfire totally disappear. I'm looking for a good set under $100. I heard people mention Howard Leight and Razors brands. Any other suggestions?

Cheaper electronic muffs have sound cut off where once the sound surpasses a certain decibel level the amplifier cuts off. The more expensive muffs have sound compression which allow you to hear conversations and when a loud sound like a gunshot occurs then it is compressed into a lower volume. The cut off muffs make it difficult to hear a conversation if there are shots going off continually. Also to me it just sound weird. The more expensive muffs have multiple microphones which allow you to tell which direction a sound is coming from.

Electronic muffs are great if you're taking a shooting class or need to converse off and on while shooting, otherwise I now find higher NRR rated non-electronic, standard muffs that provide greater protection more appealing.

Over the years, I've taken all the classes I care to and don't need electronic muffs.

When I go to the range now, I rarely speak to anyone while shooting so no need for electronics.

Electronic muffs are great if you're taking a shooting class or need to converse off and on while shooting, otherwise I now find higher NRR rated non-electronic, standard muffs that provide greater protection more appealing.

Over the years, I've taken all the classes I care to and don't need electronic muffs.

When I go to the range now, I rarely speak to anyone while shooting so no need for electronics.
I'd probably feel this way too except that with "the Troubles" lately I want something that's also useful in a boogaloo situation. I really like the idea of having radio contact with others so I can talk to, um "fellow players", and good local mics to hear where the AntiFa gunfire is coming from.

I have the Peltor Sport Tac 500's and the 300's. I let my guest use the 300's (usually my son). I also ordered the Gel Sealing Rings replacement cushions and they make a WORLD of difference in comfort. (I need to get those for my son to).

I'd probably feel this way too except that with "the Troubles" lately I want something that's also useful in a boogaloo situation. I really like the idea of having radio contact with others so I can talk to, um "fellow players", and good local mics to hear where the AntiFa gunfire is coming from.
Tech,

Excellent point, hadn't considered that.

Back to the drawing board.

I wonder if earbuds would work well UNDER earmuff cups. Probably would work better under gel type cups, I'd figure anyways.

Anyhow, may be a "poor mans" coms & earpro protection all in one. If they work/stay/aren't uncomfortable, that is.

Many inexpensive FRS/GMRS/HAM handhelds come with cheap-o earbuds.

Some of them even have the mic on the earbud line with a push to talk button. I think anyhows.

Cheaper electronic muffs have sound cut off where once the sound surpasses a certain decibel level the amplifier cuts off. The more expensive muffs have sound compression which allow you to hear conversations and when a loud sound like a gunshot occurs then it is compressed into a lower volume. The cut off muffs make it difficult to hear a conversation if there are shots going off continually. Also to me it just sound weird. The more expensive muffs have multiple microphones which allow you to tell which direction a sound is coming from.

This^^

You will still hear the shot either way, there is no hearing protection you can wear that won't let some noise from a gunshot be heard, it all just reduces the sound by XX db depending on the level of protection. It is the electronics that allow you to carry on a conversation when it is noisy. With those that have built-in comms via RF it is even better.

I know some of us (me for sure) wear ear plugs under electronic or standard muffs.

In my case I have custom made earplugs.

Muffs alone aren't enough.

Earplugs alone aren't enough.

Combined, just barely adequate.

If there's a better combination when wearing either electronic or standard...I'm all ears.

I use the Peltor sport tactical 500, and as I recall I replaced the ear cushions with something more comfortable. I'm not particularly fond of the hard plastic head band but I guess it's not that much of an issue for me as almost always wear a ball cap as well.

Three other members of my immediate family use the walker slim electronic muffs, and seem to be happy with them.

One thing I did learn the hard way, was to use lithium batteries in the muffs. The Duracell's in one of the walkers leaked and made a mess. I was able to clean it up and return them to service, but better to use lithium and try to avoid that mess altogether if possible.

I have the Peltor Sport Tac 500's and the 300's. I let my guest use the 300's (usually my son). I also ordered the Gel Sealing Rings replacement cushions and they make a WORLD of difference in comfort. (I need to get those for my son to).

This is the thing to do. I have the Peltor 500s and the gel rings are awesome! It gets a bit pricey by comparison as you have to buy the gel rings seperately but well worth the money in my opinion. Makes wearing glasses a breeze. I also have the Howard Leights that I used to use and they are a great affordable muff that I now use for guests.

I wore out a couple sets of Peltors. I like the ones that go around the back of the neck. After much trial & tribulation settled on the non-electronic version, which seem to work just as well as the Peltors did.

Use the in any noisy place I am, such as mowing the extensive grounds of our estate. They're comfortable for several hours in the saddle of machinery, or a long match. A few times I've even resorted to added puffs for more complete protection.

I have the Howard Leight after bucking the whole electronic thing for too long.

Couple things though:

1. They can be a bit irritating after hours of use with glasses on, BUT there is a company that makes gel replacements for the foam originals they come with that have a small dent for glasses and I've heard they make a big difference in comfort but they are another $40 or so.

2. Any of the ear muffs Can make shooting a rifle with a scope a little awkward so my next pair will be one of the kinds that are like earbuds.

Great for pistols though.

I have the gel replacement seal rings on mine and my sons' Howard Leight muffs. They helped very much with the long term wear comfort. Similar to the David Clark aviation headset rings. I can wear them all day at a match and still be comfortable with my glasses!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top