JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
H.L. makes 2 different electronic models.
The lower cost are the Impact Sport model.
23 Noise Reduction Rating (NRR)

I don't remember the exact model, but they make a pricier model with an NRR of 30, I think...

I've used the Impact S. model and they do a good job, with one caveat. They feel tight on my noggin after wearing for a bit.

The pricier model with an NRR of 30, look (I've not used on tried them on) more comfortable.

Good luck!

I have the Howard Leight but I found the cutoff not as good as the Peltor Powercomm Plus and Tactical Pro headsets I recently bought used here on NWFA.

The Peltors cutoff at 82 db. The Powercomm Plus have 5 channel (and 2 side channels for each main channel) GMRS/FRS comms built-in, along with a jack for hooking up to an external radio/etc. - the VOX has too long a delay in it IMO (but that may just be I don't have it set right).

These Peltors are much more expensive than what you probably want to spend (I got them used for a good price), but I just thought I would share my thoughts on them. Not sure if other Peltors are as good, but I was impressed.

FWIW.

MSA Sordin Supreme Pro X
Peltor Comtac III's

I own the Sordins. If I had to do over again I'd try the Peltors. The Sordins give feedback when you take them off and they're still powered on. It's really more annoying than anything else.

There are also a couple high end military makers like the SenSys ComCentr 2's that are supposed to be phenomenal. But I think they may have sold their headset division to somebody else and I can't figure out who. Or they may have just stopped making them. But they're supposed to be amazing...but not cheap.

Wifey and I have just been using the Caldwell $20.00 ish model. It's been several years now so maybe they're more, or we got them on sale. Wifey splurged on a set of Walker electronic in ear models. They went TU after siting in their charging box for a couple of months. Sent 'em back for warranty and it's been five weeks and haven't heard anything from Walker. Other than they "received" them, over a week after she paid to mail them.

Last Edited:
The Howards are okish. Thought I was upgrading from plain ole plugs. Turns out plugs are still way more comfortable for hours at the range.

I'm looking into electronic plugs lately, not entirely excited about the prices of available options.

The Howards are okish. Thought I was upgrading from plain ole plugs. Turns out plugs are still way more comfortable for hours at the range.

It depends on your ear canals. I have smallish ones, so plugs can be as uncomfortable, maybe more so than muffs. Neither are really comfortable though. Muffs press against my head, especially when wearing glasses, and become sweaty on days like today, whereas plugs (both foam and custom) are uncomfortable and the foam ones often do not seal well, especially after I take them out and put them back in - I often have trouble getting them in correctly. Muffs are just more convenient IMO.

It depends on your ear canals. I have smallish ones, so plugs can be as uncomfortable, maybe more so than muffs. Neither are really comfortable though. Muffs press against my head, especially when wearing glasses, and become sweaty on days like today, whereas plugs (both foam and custom) are uncomfortable and the foam ones often do not seal well, especially after I take them out and put them back in - I often have trouble getting them in correctly. Muffs are just more convenient IMO.
Ya, I'm sort of in the same boat. I just need to break down and pay the prices they want for good quality/comfortable ear pro.

Suppressors work well too!

Ya, I'm sort of in the same boat. I just need to break down and pay the prices they want for good quality/comfortable ear pro.

Suppressors work well too!

Peltor headsets that have hookups for comms are expensive. I got a good deal on the used ones I bought; 4 headsets for less than the cost of one new - not sure where they came from but I think it was probably business use - e.g., maybe PDX airport?

Anyway, one Comtac headset is about the cost of a midrange suppressor.

The thing is, some (many?) suppressors will not be hearing safe with certain guns and ammo.

The reason I was excited about getting these Peltors was that I got three with the built-in FRS/GMRS. I have three in my family.

Being a prepper, my thoughts are that these would be good for comms during traveling, or self-defense, etc. - if we are in vehicles, then the headsets provide hearing protection from vehicle and gun noise, especially if we are using multiple vehicles. Several of my vehicles are loud inside the cab, especially the big diesel truck. So comms between the vehicles would be a good thing.

If I am outside working with power equipment then comms would be good too. As it would be if I am hunting, or patrolling and just standing guard or repelling attackers. Electronic coms are good.

Then there is the external microphones which enhance low noises, especially for me because I am half deaf, but then do not let the noise get above 82 db.

I have the Howard Leight after bucking the whole electronic thing for too long.

Couple things though:

1. They can be a bit irritating after hours of use with glasses on, BUT there is a company that makes gel replacements for the foam originals they come with that have a small dent for glasses and I've heard they make a big difference in comfort but they are another $40 or so.

2. Any of the ear muffs Can make shooting a rifle with a scope a little awkward so my next pair will be one of the kinds that are like earbuds.

Great for pistols though.

Peltor headsets that have hookups for comms are expensive. I got a good deal on the used ones I bought; 4 headsets for less than the cost of one new - not sure where they came from but I think it was probably business use - e.g., maybe PDX airport?

Anyway, one Comtac headset is about the cost of a midrange suppressor.

The thing is, some (many?) suppressors will not be hearing safe with certain guns and ammo.

The reason I was excited about getting these Peltors was that I got three with the built-in FRS/GMRS. I have three in my family.

Being a prepper, my thoughts are that these would be good for comms during traveling, or self-defense, etc. - if we are in vehicles, then the headsets provide hearing protection from vehicle and gun noise, especially if we are using multiple vehicles. Several of my vehicles are loud inside the cab, especially the big diesel truck. So comms between the vehicles would be a good thing.

If I am outside working with power equipment then comms would be good too. As it would be if I am hunting, or patrolling and just standing guard or repelling attackers. Electronic coms are good.

Then there is the external microphones which enhance low noises, especially for me because I am half deaf, but then do not let the noise get above 82 db.

without that cost the Howard Leight's have a Jack you can connect to coms or music If you wanted

I run walker Razors and I like them a bunch, got them for my lady at first now I have my own set

I got a pair to replace a set Howard Leights that choke out on me. I hate those things, no auto shut off. I've burned through multiple sets of batteries. I'm done with them.

MSA Sordin Supreme Pro X
Peltor Comtac III's

I own the Sordins. If I had to do over again I'd try the Peltors. The Sordins give feedback when you take them off and they're still powered on. It's really more annoying than anything else.

I'll be getting one of these soon. I tried a buddy's Sordins and liked them but I think I'm leaning toward the Comtacs.

without that cost the Howard Leight's have a Jack you can connect to coms or music If you wanted

Yes, but no boom mic, no PTT button, no changing channels, etc.

Not sure about the Comtacs, but the Powercoms (no longer made?) have those features and I think the electronics are better, just not sure they are 10 times better, just 10 times as expensive. As I said, I was lucky to get 4 used headsets for less than the cost of one new headset.

Ideally, I would like the ACH Comtacs with an ACH helmet and NODs and digital Yaesu handsets - but without NODs, the helmet and muffs together are almost $700.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top