JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I like to listen to audio books especially when doing tedious chores, so when I mow I wear ear buds directly placed into my ear canals, slipped up & under 'dumb' ear muffs. Doing so does not affect the protection of wearing the muffs as the wires are very thin.

I tried using my Impact Sport employing the jack thinking sweet no buds in the ear which after a bit can become uncomforable.

The mowing noise was too great to hear the book employing the jack system.

So, dumb muffs with ear buds in the ear work quite well.

Lots of good advice here. Whatever you get, at a minimum purchase ones that have directional hearing microphones.

Wearing my HL headset with the directional mics convinced me to get hearing aids. It showed me just how bad my hearing had become. Even with good hearing, they amplify sounds so that you can hear more than the typical human, and one thing about being partly deaf is you lose a lot of the ability to determine where a sound is coming from, whereas headsets restore that, and more.

The ones with better NRR are more likely to hit the stock when aiming. I sometimes use the cheap thin ones, turn the volume way up, in conjunction with good earplugs.

I've been using the Walker Razor XV earbuds, so far they're great,and they don't bump into the stock. Because earbuds. Also 31db NRR.

Also, I can double up with regular old Peltor muffs if I want to for some reason.

H.L. makes 2 different electronic models.
The lower cost are the Impact Sport model.
23 Noise Reduction Rating (NRR)

I don't remember the exact model, but they make a pricier model with an NRR of 30, I think...

I've used the Impact S. model and they do a good job, with one caveat. They feel tight on my noggin after wearing for a bit.

The pricier model with an NRR of 30, look (I've not used on tried them on) more comfortable.

Good luck!

I've used both, the bigger ones are a lot better but they have a major flaw, in that they don't fold up to fit in a range bag well. They are very nice though. The slimline models work well with the addition of foamies underneath, but I've switched to the Walker Razor XV for the foreseeable.

I use the Peltor sport tactical 500, and as I recall I replaced the ear cushions with something more comfortable. I'm not particularly fond of the hard plastic head band but I guess it's not that much of an issue for me as almost always wear a ball cap as well.

Three other members of my immediate family use the walker slim electronic muffs, and seem to be happy with them.

One thing I did learn the hard way, was to use lithium batteries in the muffs. The Duracell's in one of the walkers leaked and made a mess. I was able to clean it up and return them to service, but better to use lithium and try to avoid that mess altogether if possible.

I use the same - there's a rechargeable lithium battery you can get for 'em as well.

Howard Leight Impact Pros are about the best bang for buck electro hearing protection you can buy.

I prefer it over others, because it has a NRR of 30+

I get people like less bulky hearing protection, but I do not get how the hell people use the lower NRR units and have to double up by using ear plugs. I have tried it, and didn't care for the muffled sounds. With the Impact Pros I save my ears and still hear what is going on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Buy some, you won't regret it. Makes shooting with people all the more enjoyable.
Walker, Peltor 3M, and Howard Leight all make a pair for around $50. I like my Peltor 3M the best, but the Walkers have cool designs. I bought a yellow pair with "Don't Tread On Me" for kicks.

I vote for the electronics:
I started with sponge plugs then the twenty dollar Caldwel muffs, they worked very well for years (though made me switch to a ball cap), and still work, (going on 25 years now) but now are just for back up and visitors.

I like my particular walkers. Ear buds pull out from a neck collar which allows more battery to easily work all day on a charge, a little button retracts the buds to the collar so you don't have to lay them down when not wanted. I can wear a fedora instead of the ball cap. they have a volume control, and I can clearly hear others of a large group at a fair distance. They are not as directional as the muffs are. They are very comfortable but like any ear plug or muff, on very hot days, sweat will take it toll.
No issues with mine for maybe three years or more. I always remove mine from the charger when charged. No special charger, any USB ported charger will work which are nearly ubiquitous now.
New ones are blue tooth enabled for phone or music which i guess is cool for some but I don't have a cell phone so is moot to me.

I like my particular walkers. Ear buds pull out from a neck collar which allows more battery to easily work all day on a charge, a little button retracts the buds to the collar so you don't have to lay them down when not wanted.

Those are the Walker Razor, the Razor XV has bluetooth connectivity as well.

I wonder if earbuds would work well UNDER earmuff cups. Probably would work better under gel type cups, I'd figure anyways.

Anyhow, may be a "poor mans" coms & earpro protection all in one. If they work/stay/aren't uncomfortable, that is.

Many inexpensive FRS/GMRS/HAM handhelds come with cheap-o earbuds.

Some of them even have the mic on the earbud line with a push to talk button. I think anyhows.
I've tried wearing my Airpods under the HL electronic ear muffs while running the mower and they do not fit well and are very uncomfortable.The HL brand work good with the gel cups, but do not handle low frequency sound waves very well at all...not surprising though since LF is hard to attenuate anyway.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top