JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello all, I am looking for thoughts on cz USA shotguns. I found one that I really want to buy for my son. He is shooting trap for his school this year. I found a cz over and under shotgun but I know nothing about them. Does any one have any info on them or thoughts. I want to make sure I am not going to regret spending that much money. I don't have unlimited funds and this is $800 ish used. Grade 3 walnut wood, with adjustable comb.

I have a CZ upland light. It is a budget shotgun made in turkey and branded as a CZ (I think most are.) All in all it is a great gun, but the action is a little tight, as in it can be a bit hard to unlock the action if you are not assertive with it. My wife does not like it for this reason, but most guys that have shot it don't have a problem. Recoil is a bit more than a semi because of the light weight, but again, my wifey doesn't mind the recoil and shoots it very well.

I would not hesitate to buy another CZ over/under.

Goatguns,

Is your son just getting started with trap shooting?
Do you guys visit a range regularly?
If he's just getting his feet wet, you can shoot trap all day long with a $50 break action single and have a lot of fun, but if he's been shooting competition for a while and you simply want to gift him with a nice new gun, that's going to be a horse of a different colour.
As for CZ, at this point in time, I think its still safe to say that ANY gun you run across, that can trace its origin to the country of Turkey, is going to be about the best "bang-for-the-buck" currently found on the firearms market.
CZ, Stoeger, Legacy Sports, Huglu, Hatfield and countless others are all considered "budget priced" guns, and with that, will have some of the operational idiosyncrasy's found in such guns (such as a stiff action or a heavy trigger), but you'll also find a high degree of craftsmanship in the build quality.
These are guns that are going to be safe, reliable shooters that one can enjoy for a lifetime, if they take care of the gun.

Dean

Last Edited:
Dean my son has been shooting for a while. He is shooting on a high school team this year as an eighth grader. He always has shot a weatherby 20ga I bought for him but the team said he had to shoot a 12ga. Not a problem. At 13 he is about 5' 9 and 160. I do want to get him a gun that will grow with him so I don't have to buy another one. I would like it to have an adjustable comb. Just unsure if I should get an auto or o/u. This has been really hurting my head lol. I found this cz and don't know if I should pull the trigger on it or wait. I would be in it for about $800. They discontinued this model in 2014. But the gun looks to be very clean.

Dean my son has been shooting for a while. He is shooting on a high school team this year as an eighth grader. He always has shot a weatherby 20ga I bought for him but the team said he had to shoot a 12ga. Not a problem. At 13 he is about 5' 9 and 160. I do want to get him a gun that will grow with him so I don't have to buy another one. I would like it to have an adjustable comb. Just unsure if I should get an auto or o/u. This has been really hurting my head lol. I found this cz and don't know if I should pull the trigger on it or wait. I would be in it for about $800. They discontinued this model in 2014. But the gun looks to be very clean.
Would it be possible to get the 12 ga. version of the Weatherby he currently uses?
That would probably be the best bet, since he's already used to the 20 ga. version.
Otherwise, another idea might be to simply take him with you and have him try out several different guns until he finds something that feels comfortable to him.
If its comfortable to his frame, he'll knock them down every time. I think that was part of my problem when I was his age...all of our guns were just a bit too big for me to shoot competently on a regular basis.
...of course, if this is a surprise, you may have use a different tactic.
If nothing else, measure the length of pull on the Weatherby he currently shoots and measure the CZ you're thinking about. If they match (or are at least very close to each other) the CZ will probably work.
Good luck and please let us know how things turn out.

Dean

FWIW, I have a CZ 712 Utilty. I think it's a rock solid semi auto. It cost around $400 new and eats anything. CZ makes great doubles as well. You won't regret buying one.

I'm tellin' ya!!
Check out the CZ 712!!!

CZ 712 G2 - CZ-USA

Myself dislike a 28 inch and shorter barrel for shooting trap. In the field for say a chucker gun where I would be packing that thing all day yes it would be prefered but trap no. My minimum is 30 and prefer 32. The only advantage in a shorter barrel is weigh and that's not really consideration in a trap gun. YMMV

In a much earlier life, I shot a lot of competitive trap, and went thru a lot of guns. Trap shooters, just like car owners, develop some very indelible opinions of what brands will hold up in the long haul. And these opinions are hardened by knowing what guns can be easily and conveniently serviced. Trap shooters shoot a lot of rounds, and I suspect few shooters need their guns serviced or repaired as often as a trap shooter. That's also why many trap shooters bring spare shotguns to their shoots.

My take on CZ, as well as other designer guns marketed with a popular brand name, but outsourced for their actual manufacturing... These CZ shotguns are gorgeous, but I defy anybody to actually know what factory in Turkey (or elsewhere) actually made the gun. So when service is required, who's gonna stand up and take responsibility for the repair? Any given model of shotgun could be outsourced to one manufacturer today, but next week the contract could be given to another company. So, small manufacturing changes could prevent parts from fitting seemingly identical guns. This will cause many repairs to be made by a gunsmith, as opposed to the actual brand or manufacturer.

So, where I'm going with this, is until a new trap shooter is well heeled enough to be able to maintain a really nice hand made shotgun, it makes a lot of sense to use a mass produced shotgun, and eventually learn what specifically are his requirements in a shotgun. A Remington Trap Grade 1100, for example, is still a very competitive gun, which will likely never have a major failure, but still has the maintenance and repair support of a huge company if it was ever needed. And even if the services of a local gunsmith was required, drop-in parts will greatly reduce repair costs.

Flame on.

goatguns,

Is he interested in the 1100 Classic Trap or the 1100 Competition Synthetic?
Looks like the Competition select comes with an adjustable butt stock and its about $50 less expensive than the Classic Trap.
My dad bought an 1100 Lightweight in the late 1970's. Today, its one of my favourite guns.
...as for Beretta, the A400 series looks nice. Unfortunately, I have no experience with those guns.

Dean

P.S. ...and what WAYNO said. Extremely good logic to follow. -b

Last Edited:
One thing trap shooter are famous for is switching guns. Broken streak, out with the gun, poor day shooting, out with the gun ect. Sometimes makes a great deal to be found on a great shotgun. The old Mitchells clays in Brooks use to have some great deals on used low mileage consignment shotguns. Not sure what the new place is called or if they even offer shotguns for sale.

goatguns,

One more suggestion....

I know your son is used to a Semi-auto and I realize what WAYNO posted made a ton of sense, but how does your son feel about a break action single?
All this talk about shotguns got me looking at some manufacturers sites and I ran across THIS.
Might want to let your kid know about that one and see what he thinks.

Dean

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads