JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
For some reason, I got it in my mind that today I wanted to see what it felt like strapping my 1911 to my hip rather than my trusty Glock 19. I'm not sure why I didn't try before, it's not as if I didn't have everything I needed. I'm able to properly compare the two guns because I'm using the same Milt Sparks belt and I have a Milt Sparks VM2 holster for each of them.

First, the Glock. I love Glock pistols. I always have, and probably always will. I shoot them better than anything else, most feel great in my hand, they're reliable, affordable, easy to takedown/maintain/clean, etc. My particular Glock that I carry daily is the compact Glock 19, which is chambered in 9mm with a capacity of 15+1 rounds, and is equipped with factory night sights. I purchased this model because I wanted something I'd be able to afford to shoot and because it really is an excellent carry package when you consider the purchase cost, size, weight, reliability, and capacity.

Second, the 1911. Seven years ago I had absolutely no idea what a 1911 pistol was. Obviously after spending a day or two reading firearm message boards I had to find out, so I read up a bit. I've always considered 1911's to be one of the most beautiful pistols every made, but I felt the design was surpassed by pistols with newer technology which allowed for far fewer moving parts and increased capacity. Add the stuff you hear about the reliability problems, and you have the reason I purchased a .45 caliber Sig P220. Over the next few years though I couldn't help notice the growing momentum of the 1911 movement and the increased interest in the model. I'm not sure if this was, in fact, happening or if it was just my perception as I spent more time on the internet, but it sure felt like everyone loved 1911's. Finally, three years ago, I couldn't take it anymore; I had to get one and find out what everyone is raving about. I did my research and purchased a Springfield Loaded in like new condition, complete with Crimson Trace laser grips and Novak night sights. After spending three days fondling it, I was finally able to take it to the range. Sadly, it was the most inaccurate gun I had ever shot. Fast forward to a couple months ago, when I finally dug it out of the closet and sent it to Springfield. After they replacing the barrel, replacing the front sight, and drifting the rear just a touch, it's dead on. Since then, it's been shot twice and relegated back to closet duty. I'm not sure why, but for some reason I'm just not giving this gun a fair shake.

Anyway, back to today. As I'm loading the seven round magazine I two thoughts kept going through my mind: "Only eight rounds? :(" and "Wow, .45ACP hollowpoints are HUGE :s0001:". It's kinda funny because one of the main reasons I carry the Glock daily is because I don't feel the need to carry a spare magazine, but I always wish it was something other than 9mm. Without getting into the caliber debate, I always have that thought in my mind, no matter how much evidence I see/hear/read. Before I put the loaded magazine back in the gun I tripple check everything and make sure I know when and how the gun will and won't fire. I confess, I desperately need more trigger time with the 1911 platform. Once I've assured myself it's not going to fire itself while sitting in my holster, I saddle up.

The first thing I notice is the weight, almost double. No matter though, it's definitely not unbearable. The next thing I noticed was how thin it is compared to the Glock 19. I was initially worried that the size difference was going make things uncomfortable. However, because the 1911 is thinner it actually feels more comfortable and prints less. It's amazing how much a fraction of an inch difference in width can make! The 1911 is over 1.5" longer and .5" taller than the G19, but the difference isn't as noticeable as you'd think comfort-wise and seems to be a non-issue when it comes to concealability. The biggest surprise is the effect carrying the 1911 has on how I feel: I'm many times more confident with this gun knowing it throws those huge bullets :s0155:

Overall, I still like my G19, but my enthusiasm for carrying it versus a 1911 is fading. There's a good possibility that I may be in the market for a Colt 4.25" 1911 in the near future.

Final note: If you enjoyed reading this book, print it out and I'll sign it at our next meet :s0114:

Thanks Andrew. I figured I'd share how I feel so far, then as I carry it more I can update this. I do carry it cocked and locked.

Yeah, I'm really wanting a Commander size now. I know I probably shouldn't get rid of my Sig P220, but I just might have to.

What belt and holster combo are you using? I've found that's made all the difference in weight distribution, and the difference has been almost unnoticeable today.

I don't dislike Glocks, it's the grip size and angle that make them not a good choice for me.

I prefer the Commander sized 1911, the true 4 1/4", not the 4" lengths, that we see now days. They point even better for me, and the one I had at the meet back in Sept., had an alloy frame, so the weight is close to a Glock and other tupperware types.

I carry mine cocked & locked, always have...........and have been questioned many times by the public.........."Do you know the hammer is back on your gun?"
I kindly give them a quick function lesson, and all seems to be well with them after.

I too won't get into the caliber argument, but have been to enough autopsies to know that the 45 more often than not, takes less rounds to do the same thing. But as always, hit location is king!
If the shot doesn't go in the snot locker, then it's a toss up of what the outcome will be. A person can live over a minute with a shot clean thru the heart.........and one can inflict a good amount of damage in that time frame.

The 1911 has got a bad rap the last few years, not because of the design, but because of the manufacturers. They look good on the outside with all the bells and whistles, and fancy finishes, but that's not what make them run.
Look under the hood of most 1911's on the market today, then compare it with one that was crafted 50 years ago, and you'll see a noticeable difference.

What's also sad is the fact that most makers now are using the CNC high tech mills, and still can't get it right.

Ya know, maybe ol' John M Browning really did know what he was doing after all eh?

As I said before in another thread;

A modern production 1911 typically needs a little gunsmith attention at some point in its life. It is not the same as the GI issue gun that was carefully handcrafted at the Colt factory nearly a century ago.
When Colt first started producing the gun way back in the day, they were the only ones making it - their parts, their mags, ammo to their spec.

The design has been around for so long that any particular 1911 is now made with parts made to various specs that have wandered away from the original for one reason or another, and is fed with ammo and mags that have similarly changed or evolved.

This why the 1911 has got the bad rap, not from the design, but from the now days makers who can't get it right.
Joey can atest to this with his Springfield, why wasn't it made right the first time? lack of QC, not the design.

This is the reason why the 1911 does well with tuning by a skilled hand, something that it typically does not receive at the modern factory. The gun also needs proper cleaning and maintenance to reach its full potential. Take care of your 1911 and it will do its job for you like nothing else can.

Thanks for your insight Steve, always appreciated. I've pretty much decided, I need a Colt Commander sized 1911. After I get that AR built for Jenny, of course :D

Also get a belt that's made for a gun, it gives a good foundation when properly drawing and re-holstering.

Also make sure to get a quality holster that will not get in the way of a proper grip.

Here's my set up.........this what I had on at the meet........

carryrig1.jpg

Last Edited:
Here's my plain clothes Commander, this is the one I had on and used at the meet.........

lw2.jpg

I like nothing fancy, good sights, smooth trigger, and sharps edges slightly taken off.........love the classic lines to stay in tact.

the "mal functioning" is not a design flaw, it is caused by people who think they are smarter than browning and figgure it has to work better if the tolerances are closer than he designed them. WRONG. Unless you are a bullseye target shooter you'll never notice the accuracy difference between one of their jam'o'matics and a standard g.i. issue gun that rattles when shaken .In fact i shot bullseye pistol for the U.S. Navy and a armory gun will print in the x ring if used right. The rock island g.i. model is a great gun that has no problems because they made it to original specs.

Here's my plain clothes Commander, this is the one I had on and used at the meet.........

lw2.jpg

I like nothing fancy, good sights, smooth trigger, and sharps edges slightly taken off.........love the classic lines to stay in tact.

I love that gun. Is that a lightweight? What do you see those going for price-wise over on m1911.org? What are considered to be 'bells and whistles'?

I love that gun. Is that a lightweight? What do you see those going for price-wise over on m1911.org? What are considered to be 'bells and whistles'?

Yes, it's a lightweight..........has an alloy frame.

It's a pre-80 series, meaning there's firing pin safety. I prefer them, a little betr quality.

Going price is about 700+, as long as the frame hasn't been messed with.

I will miss my 1980 bead-blasted nickel Commander forever, what a great pistol. Wichaka is so right, they just don't seem to make 'em like the old ones anymore.

If you want the 5" 1911 to seem small, carry a Glock 21 for awhile. The 1911 Gov't becomes a very discreet piece o' ordinance.

I really like the Glocks too. I have a 36 (45 ACP) that is the compact 45. It carries 6 + 1, and I feel that's quite adequate. If I can't stop the threat with 6 45 hollow points, then probably nothing will. I've always liked the look of the 1911, but have never purchased one... probably because of the old rattly ones I stood watch with in the military. I'm considering getting the laser that mounts as a replacement for the guide rod. The thing that I really like about the laser idea is that when you point a weapon at someone, they have a rather limited set of information to base any decission on. Not sure how good a shot you are, not sure if you're willing to shoot, etc. With the laser, when they see that little red dot in the middle of their chest, they can make a far more informed choice for their next move.
I'll let you know how that turns out.

Carried and owned a DCM purchase since the early 60s. Pretty junky,
but for $20 and some work, and another less than $100 for a new barrel,
bushing, micro sights, and metal reblue, the slide tightened a bit, trigger
softened, and feed ramp polished. It has been dependable in every clime
and place.
However, the last couple of years it spends bedtime nightstand mostly,
as local LEOs are Glock users. Concealed a Model 27 and duty Model 22.
Last week we RAN some tactics at the outdoor local police range. I used
all three. Love the extra rounds and fewer load outs. However, will never
give up the 1911. The Glocks are fantastic for this type of use, but the
Colt gives a more accurate longer range even though carries fewer rounds
and more practice on load outs and reloads compared to the Glocks I feel.
All of the pisols ran with out any stoppage, so equal in dependability!
Advantage of Glock 27 is any high capacity magazine can be used as a load
out or reload after the niner is spent. The Glock finish is a not to worry,
and it's good to go once the trigger (Somewhat mushy) is depressed:s0155: Bottom line is it's all good!!!!!:D

Yep, I know! Have about a dozen or so. Advantage with moving off
the X and on the move, means less reloads means less chance of time
lost with an unsucessful reload. Of course there is also stoppages or
strong arm injury that require the same attention of both platforms.
THE 1911 remains my personal consideration, as it was a secondary
weapon since my Marine days in the late 50s. Glocks are an advance-
ment in a few ways as I believe in KISS. What is more simple than
Glock? Like I said above, the choice in this area of the LEOs. I don't
think it healthy to rely on a single weapon, so I keep an open mind.
Carry or secondary can be a number of things for me. Got to admit
that the more I carry and use the Glock, the more I like that old 40
with Gold Dots in 180 grain for Short Barrels. Bet some of you 40 S&W
owners don't know that Gold Dots now come in both Short Barrel and
regular. Don't know how they keep the bullet weight the same as it
appears the short barrel version has a larger nose cavity and possible
thinner jacket near the nose.:s0155::s0155:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT