JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Howdy guys I was wonder what y'all think about light weight body armor?

It's not cheap that's for sure. I have been looking at this amendment2 vest for sometime now but I am reluctant to spend $700. I was think about the level II (.357, .45, .40, .9mm) that pretty much would cover anything that someone would have on the street.

One of the things that is making me think more about this, just last night about a street away as I was walking back from the market there was six gun shots is somewhat rapid session.

<broken link removed>

Advice? Tips?

Here's what I have been contemplating:

(1) Shellback Banshee Plate Carrier, LAPD Aproved ($127.95 from SKDtac . com)
(1) Set (front and back) AR500 Steel Formed Plates w/ Coating ($200 comming soon from thetargetman.com)

Check out his youtube videos. I have shot his AR500 targets with hundreds of 223 and 308 and have not seen any dents on the back yet!

Here's what I have been contemplating:

(1) Shellback Banshee Plate Carrier, LAPD Aproved ($127.95 from SKDtac . com)
(1) Set (front and back) AR500 Steel Formed Plates w/ Coating ($200 comming soon from thetargetman.com)

Check out his youtube videos. I have shot his AR500 targets with hundreds of 223 and 308 and have not seen any dents on the back yet!

Yeah that looks like a better price, but much more heavy and bulky. I would like something that's soft armor and light weight I think.

This looks like a nice vest. Any possibility you can try it on before buying it? Fit is really important.

I can only tell you lessons I learned from wearing a concealed level IIIA vest for nearly a decade.
- Light is relative. If you wear it all day every day you'll get used to it but it adds bulk and never feels like a standard over-garment
- Regardless of what they say, VESTS DO NOT BREATH worth a darn. Invest in a good vest undershirt. Preferably the kind with ribs that prevent the vest from matting to your undershirt and body when you sweat
- Also invest in a carrier that has a tuckable long-tail. Sitting down will cause a vest without it to ride up to your neck which pretty much sucks
- You will need to practice concealed carry and drawing your weapon with a vest on if you intend to do so. The change in body geometry and relative stiffness of adding a vest creates some very odd feelings compared to other garments and may require you to change your carry approach
- Buy the best vest you can afford, and spend a bit more than that. While I haven't been shot wearing mine I have seen the aftermath of two separate shootings and both people are alive today due to the quality of the vests they were wearing. It didn't stop the bruising and cracked ribs but any incident you walk away from really doesn't count

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Brian

Last Edited:
Body Armor makes perfect sense for when you are shooting in a competition at a range or taking one of those day-long outdoor pistol defensive classes.

You are surrounded be newbies learning how to handle a firearm. Probably more likely to get shot during that period than any time in your life.

I took a Police Pistol Comp (PPC) class/training and a guy there was decked out in all sorts of Body Armor. LOL. I asked him what was up and he pretty much summed it up - 'if I am going to get shot, it will be here.'

This looks like a nice vest. Any possibility you can try it on before buying it? Fit is really important.

I can only tell you lessons I learned from wearing a concealed level IIIA vest for nearly a decade.
- Light is relative. If you wear it all day every day you'll get used to it but it adds bulk and never feels like a standard over-garment
- Regardless of what they say, VESTS DO NOT BREATH worth a darn. Invest in a good vest undershirt. Preferably the kind with ribs that prevent the vest from matting to your undershirt and body when you sweat
- Also invest in a carrier that has a tuckable long-tail. Sitting down will cause a vest without it to ride up to your neck which pretty much sucks
- You will need to practice concealed carry and drawing your weapon with a vest on if you intend to do so. The change in body geometry and relative stiffness of adding a vest creates some very odd feelings compared to other garments and may require you to change your carry approach
- Buy the best vest you can afford, and spend a bit more than that. While I haven't been shot wearing mine I have seen the aftermath of two separate shootings and both people are alive today due to the quality of the vests they were wearing. It didn't stop the bruising and cracked ribs but any incident you walk away from really doesn't count

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Brian

Thank man that's the type of advice I was looking for.

I do not know much of anything about body armor but it can be spendy.

As I think back to the past big news media shooting events this is what I recall. CO, the gunman was wearing body armor per the media, several days later it came out that it was just a tactical vest of some sort and NOT body armor, barely mentioned in the MSM.

Sandy Hook Elem. virtually the same story.

Clackamas, media reported he wore body armor, that night or the next morning the CCSO cleared that up very well, unless you were watching the live broadcast, the MSM cut that out of thier coverage when played at later times.

During this time there were many anti gun folks saying nobody needs body armor, except the PD and military. Many states have banned owning body armor.

Do research and decide what will work for you and if the winds turn and talk of banning body armor comes up at least be ready to buy or decide to pass. I think most politicians would agree to ban body armor to non PD/MIL.

Howdy guys I was wonder what y'all think about light weight body armor?

One of the things that is making me think more about this, just last night about a street away as I was walking back from the market there was six gun shots is somewhat rapid session.

Advice? Tips?

I wore body armor for over 20 years and I would bet that it winds up in your closet and only taken out for range days. IMHO you would be much better off spending the money on a weight set or gym membership and get in the best shape you can. It will help your overall quality of life and dramatically improve your survivability if you ever are shot walking down the street.

If your mind and body are in good shape you can survive most gunshot wounds and continue to fight or retreat.

You can have a gym membership and a vest, of course. Pay once, cry once, don't regret it forever.
FerFAL says ballistic vests were one of the things in high demand (and high mark-up) after the Argentina collapse. An excellent investment, in other words, even if you never wear it.

One thing about vest lifetime: it's heat and moisture combined with flexing, that causes the plies to delaminate and the material to weaken. If it lives in your closet, its lifetime is essentially unlimited.

I'm glad I spent the money years ago for a thin, expensive, lightweight Level II vest, even if I've only worn it a few times. Most of those times were for practice, but I did feel the need on one occasion to put it on for real. Just like my CCW, I fervently hope that I'll never need it, but I intend to be prepared should the worst come to pass.

I've recently made the switch from a concealable to an exterior vest, it's great. As others have mentioned, vests get HOT and don't breathe, make sure you have appropriate under wear, even when it was 40 outside and raining I could feel the sweat underneath. Get the shirt tails as well, it keeps your vest in place so it doesn't move, my concealable vest was a little on the small side so I didn't have that issue, but I know a ton of guys where their vests would ride up and shift around like crazy, not so much with an exterior carrier now thank goodness. Also, if you're dead set on buying a vest, buy the best vest you can afford! Go for IIIA if you can afford it.

Interesting thread..... I hope this isn't diverting the conversation too far adrift..... but does anyone have any experience with the 'bullet proof' backpacks? they appear to have lining in the rear along with various dampening materials all around... granted this only covers the back, but if its a snug bag worn tightly it could protect back and sides too? I was also thinking about them for my kids

Howdy guys I was wonder what y'all think about light weight body armor? Advice? Tips?

My advice? Don't be like the media calling it "bullet proof" because it isn't. It is a ballistic vest or bullet "resistant" vest. It may seem like a minor deal, but the media can't understand why cops shoot back when they have "bullet proof" vests, so it makes me crazy every time I hear that.

Other than that, good thread. ;)

My impession is that most Portland shootings which take place in public involve gang rivalires and are dangerous to third parties "only" due to stray bullets. Do gang members often carry particularly high-powered hand guns? If 9mm's prevail, maybe you would feel comfortable in a lighter, cheaper vest. Sometimes you can find a used vest of that sort in the classifieds here for fairly little. Just a thought--I know little about the subject and am not a good source of advice. I hope you find a wise approach that you feel comfortable with.

Looks to be the next fashion trend among popular musicians that cater to the misled masses. There is even a market for fake vests.

NY Times Fashion

50cent1-801.jpg

50cent1-801.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR