JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
howdy'

just sitting here thinkings about my collection of ar's...

and the cost of BRD.

knowing now' and looking back.
i'ed of saved hundreds of dollars , maybe a thousand or two ?

should have never bought the carbean' that led to ''improvements''

then the A4 clone' then the frankengun lightweight build. 20'' rifle.then the dissipator.

getting closer to what works best for me. ''A RIFLE''

i built a clone of the model M16A1. no-dak lower' A1 buttstock' Pencil barrel,
the works,[1/12 twist]
then i built a A2 clone' 1/7 twist.

so far... 99.5 percent of the time' for everything i do , is done with the A1.
The A2, is next. the faster twist is used for deer hunting.[64 grain winchester power points] or 75 grain TAP.

looking back . ?
i wishes now' i'ed of just bought something like the olympic arms model G.I. rifle.
A1 sights, [set n' fergit]
20'' 1/7 twist.
and went on down the road' n' never looked back.

heck' i dont kick doors down' im not in a war' . im just an old broke farmer' and drive a truck.
eugene stoner got it right the 1st time.

p.s. i know some of you are carbean fans, and like the shorter barrel' but why kill the velocity of the 5.56 ?
we'er only talkin 4''
love the A1 stock. fits perfect.

peabody

i think i've come full circle' honestly i do wishes i'ed of just bought a OLY G.I. or a del-ton kit. and been done with it.

I am of the opposite persuasion.

My first AR was a Cavarms MKII lower, Bushmaster A2 upper, Colt A1 barrel (20", 1:12, lightweight profile). Yeah, it was handy, and the extra sight radius was nice. But it was long. It shot okay, but I never was real quick with it.

My current AR is a 16" midlength gov't profile (BCM), CTR stock, Omega Rail and a Aimpoint ML3 in a QD mount.

It's a bit heavier than the first rifle, but easier to shoot well, less cumbersome and makes a significantly better HD rifle.

Different strokes for different folks, and all that.

I like the idea of having multiple guns for different applications. Like the 22lrAR I built. It came together really cheap, and works well as a training/plinking tool. Regular 223 16" carbine with cheap parts for plinking. Theres the semi-lightweight build I am doing slowly and expensively that will probably be the go to gun. Will have a top notch barrel, all the crapp that one could want on a rifle. Probably be something like an SPR type rifle when I am done. I want to do a 20" A1 with triangle guards at some point, just because they are cool as heck. I have no problem with having more than one rifle. It makes figuring out what to take to the range a challenge. :D

p.s. i know some of you are carbean fans, and like the shorter barrel' but why kill the velocity of the 5.56 ?
we'er only talkin 4''
love the A1 stock. fits perfect.

peabody

Because the extra 4", is where the suppressor goes. :winkkiss:

You think BRD is bad, jump into the NFA pool. :s0112:

ha. :)
not going to argue with you guy's..:)

of course everybody likes something differant. im just stating , what i've found out works for ...''me''
ya and the fact that my M16A1 clone really is cool .:)

but ? theres something to be said for the person who has just one AR, when he/she headed out the door' no question on which one to grab.
and most likely will know that weapon ,very very well.

but we dont live in that kind of world....[yet]....
and i do enjoy my BRD :)

im old n' slow' so light n' simple works best fer me.

peabody

There's also something to be said for the guy with a safe full of AR's and heading out that door; when i head out to go east of the mountains to take out varmints, 24". If I head out to go up to Washington State to meet up with them boys, 16-20". If I'm heading out to shoot-n-scoot in a PR match, 10.5". See, one rifle doesn't fit everything I do. I need more than one :s0112: but are glad one fits you and you found which one :s0155:

Because the extra 4", is where the suppressor goes. :winkkiss:

You think BRD is bad, jump into the NFA pool. :s0112:

remember ? when i said i was OLD N' SLOW ?

remember when i said , fer petes sake' we'er only talkin 4 inches ?

as we speak: the M16A1 clone......

:s0131:

im such a dumkoff:(

it just ''NOW'' dawns on me..... this M16A1 clone, is not exactly correct.
the barrel came in a trade, someone had cutt her back to 18.5 inches.
i had sent it off to ADCO, re-crown and re-thread.:cool:

but it ''looks'' normal' i had forgotten about it. now hows that for silly CRS ?

soooo yaaaa. no wonder she's sweet n' fun.

not a 16'' handy , but close. :cool:
no wonder its my favorite AR,

sorry guys, i just feel so stupids for forgetting a major detail like that.

peabody

I have two AR's, one for my time in the Marines and one for my time in the Army.

Someday I will put a rail on the M4 to make it an almost exact replica. I will agree the original AR-15 is pretty handy even with a 20 inch barrel. :)

2966268d.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I've got the BRD and I've got it bad.

Right now my idea of the ideal carbine is a 14.5" lightweight/pencil profile, 1:7 twist, barrel with a mid-length gas system, AAC Brakeout (or one of the other flash hiding compensators, whichever mounts your favorite suppressor), daniel defense lite rails, and an aimpoint micro on top. It is what I am currently building, almost finished. Slap a BUIS, stock and sling of your choice, and a surefire x300 light on it and that's it. Somewhat tacticool but not too bad.

If I wanted a completely non-tacticooled rifle personally I would still avoid manufacturers like Olympic Arms and such. A 20" A1 Colt would be nice though. Not saying an Olympic is a *bad* rifle, but an AR-15 is a pretty big investment and if I am going to spend that much money I want it to be a really nice gun so I'd rather stick with the well-known top quality places like BCM, Daniel Defense, LMT, and so on. I don't mind spending a bit of extra money for the name brands.

I will agree the original AR-15 is pretty handy even with a 20 inch barrel. :)

It's that lightweight barrel, we should never have left the pencil profile.:s0155:

Well, I've got the BRD and I've got it bad.

Right now my idea of the ideal carbine is a 14.5" lightweight/pencil profile, 1:7 twist, barrel with a mid-length gas system, AAC Brakeout (or one of the other flash hiding compensators, whichever mounts your favorite suppressor), daniel defense lite rails, and an aimpoint micro on top. It is what I am currently building, almost finished. Slap a BUIS, stock and sling of your choice, and a surefire x300 light on it and that's it. Somewhat tacticool but not too bad.

If I wanted a completely non-tacticooled rifle personally I would still avoid manufacturers like Olympic Arms and such. A 20" A1 Colt would be nice though. Not saying an Olympic is a *bad* rifle, but an AR-15 is a pretty big investment and if I am going to spend that much money I want it to be a really nice gun so I'd rather stick with the well-known top quality places like BCM, Daniel Defense, LMT, and so on. I don't mind spending a bit of extra money for the name brands.

It's that lightweight barrel, we should never have left the pencil profile.:s0155:

i'll agree with the pencil barrel's !!!

but i'll disagree about olympic arms, several of my friends have oly's. zero problem's. and very accurate. oly makes some really good barrel's,
try one of there SUM barrel's.. one word :awsome:

heck ? my neighbor has a so called second tier third tier DPMS...???
whatever you want to call them . :)

his is the dissipator, rifle length sights and handguards , with the rifle gas system.
his is the most shootin'est AR15, any of us have ever seen around here.:s0155:

silly thing eats everything we feed it' some say ? rifle gas on a 16'' barrel wont work' but his runs like a sewing machine.
in any type of weather, that ol' girl just keeps on tickin.

so ? my point ?

an AR is an AR,... is a AR.
oly , bushy. DPMS, LMT. BCM.
it really dont matter. if you know the AR platform, and can work on one' its very eazy to fix.

alto ? i'll say this... just about ANY ''rifle gas'' system will pretty much trouble free,with good ammo.

no matter who builds it. me, or you. or the factory.

peabody

but i'll disagree about olympic arms, several of my
friends have oly's. zero problem's. and very accurate. oly makes some really good barrel's,
try one of there SUM barrel's.. one word :awsome:

Oly gets a bad rap from one model they made years ago that was a super cheap entry level rifle. It had a lot of complaints and it still follows Oly to this day. Nothing wrong with the current models, and they do make some nice barrels.

an AR is an AR,... is a AR.
oly , bushy. DPMS, LMT. BCM.
it really dont matter. if you know the AR platform, and can work on one' its very eazy to fix.

+1000

IMHO 99% of AR problems are owner induced. You just have to be smarter than an inanimate object.

I suppose... if I was going to build another cheap AR-15 I could see going with the cheaper manufacturers for everything except the bolt carrier group. I mean, that's the main thing that will determine how reliable the gun will be. A properly staked gas key is absolutely necessary, I have seen 2 ARs fail at practical rifle matches due to the gas key getting loose, and I only ever watch the people in my own squad. A shot-peened bolt and an improved extractor spring is also desirable.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top