JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yeah, production will have to be high to keep the price down, but "slide one off and slide the other one on"? Huh? Allfat, I don't know you, and am not trying to pick on you, but are you familiar with the 1911? The process for changing this conversion onto a gun is no more involved than the typical field stripping required for cleaning and, as I see it, no more involved than what's required to install any other conversion.
Granted, some (many?) will see it as you aren't getting as much for your money with this conversion compared to the others on the market, but I think it's a great idea.

I am not extremely familiar with the 1911, I have never owned one. I have shot a few and seen them broken down though. My comment was mainly because that is how his future competition currently advertises their models. If he comes out with something different, then it will only give them more incentive to push the "slide one off and slide one on" "feature" that theirs has. In essence, it would give them greater firepower on something they already use.

Edit: I just found this video. Go to 2:10. How is this not "slide one off, slide another on?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qArKBWVpZwQ

On my 1911, a Springfield Armory from about 20 years ago and basically a straight USGI clone, the recoil spring and guide don't stay nicely in place like the one in the video does when taking the slide off. If you're not careful, it can launch the guide and spring across the room. Haven't looked at the newer Kimbers etc. to see if they've done something different in that department. Still, as Allfat points out, they can sell it that way. In showing this kit to others, I have been startled by the number of shooters who (A) don't really understand how their gun works and (B) have a great amount of trepidation when it comes even to simple field stripping. Given those factors, I'm afraid it will be a hard sell if the only advantage of my kit is fewer parts, full function (unlike the one in the video, with no last shot hold open),virtually no weight/balance change, and not leaving half the gun behind (which no one thinks about).

Well, at least it was an interesting project.

I do believe this is the first time that I've ever heard it argued that less money and fewer parts to do the same thing was BAD thing.
:eek:

That's cuz it's your part and you're determined :)

Let me rephrase as a pissed off potential customer= "Where the F you pocketing all that extra money you can't afford to include a slide?" (Make more sense where I'm coming from?

It's not that it's cheaper (price wise), it's whether consumer sees that discount amount being equal to the parts they're not getting.

That's cuz it's your part and you're determined :)

Let me rephrase as a pissed off potential customer= "Where the F you pocketing all that extra money you can't afford to include a slide?" (Make more sense where I'm coming from?

It's not that it's cheaper (price wise), it's whether consumer sees that discount amount being equal to the parts they're not getting.
So A Rolex should be cheaper than wall clock? It's smaller after all. Or why would someone buy an airplane with only one wing when all the others have two (biplane, not left and right :D)? Or, to paraphrase the above in the context of a car buyer "Where the F you pocketing all that extra money you can't afford to include a horse?"

Not saying some people won't think that way, I just don't understand that mind set. What about "because of a superior design concept, it doesn't have to have a soft lightweight aluminum slide and a whole bunch of different additional parts so you don't have to buy all that extra crap"?

Anyway, the discussion is largely moot since, barring minor miracles, this won't be seeing production anyway and I have other, hopefully more profitable, fish to fry.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top