JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If you are looking for a pump Pawn shops often have them. For a long time stores like Western Auto, Sears, Wards, and such sold these under their own names. The guns were made by major manufactures and just had the stores name stamped on them. If you keep an eye on places like this you may well stumble on one. They often spend a lot of years in some closet un-fired. Will not matter what barrel length as it's simple to cut it down.

Great point - takes some research but totally worth it if the shop hasn't done their research.

My absolute favorite is a J.C. Higgins 12ga with adjustable choke (clay gun but could be used at home, little bit long unless cut down though). Happens to be that during 1952-1953 these guns were made by high standard and have the jeweled bolt and everything.

Was just a bit rough when I bought it for $100 and then took some fine sandpaper to the rough spot and it works like a race gun now - smooth as silk and reliable as it gets IMO.

I wouldn't trade it for a $600 Beretta honestly.

You bet. Over the years I bought several of the 12GA versions of these "store brand" shotguns. Often they went for a song at a show because they were not pretty but were sound functional guns. Would cut them to 18 and put a simple bead on the front. Made excellent around the home guns. Gifted several as home guns to family. I also used one for years when I was in the SW as a quail gun. The quail hunting we did was always in heavy grease wood and Mesquite. The birds would stick to ground or flush right in front of you. The open choke and short swing would net me a limit better than anything else I ever tried.
The first new gun I ever bought myself was a Revelation (Western Auto) made by Marlin Mod 60. $50 with a scope. Of course that was a LOT of money to a teenager then. I had a TON of fun with that rifle.

I really don't understand why anyone would want a pistol grip on a 12 ga. But that's just me. 410? Sure
To your question about a 20ga,I would think with most any load at HD distances,you would stop the treat.
My dad used to feed us killing deer with a 410 and slugs so a 20 gun should be plenty.
But pistol grips? And from the other thread,shooting from the hip?:rolleyes:
Rambo specials;)

I was really thinking about CQC (close quarters combat) within the house with the PG instead of shoulder mounting the gun. I know at 10' to 30' distance the shot spread is minimal 2-4" if that so accuracy is a must and a PG is not going to achieve that.
Now I'm considering the youth model (shorter stock) with an 18"+ barrel with mag extension.

Thanks for all the considerations, comments and opinions. All are appreciated.;)

I was really thinking about CQC (close quarters combat) within the house with the PG instead of shoulder mounting the gun. I know at 10' to 30' distance the shot spread is minimal 2-4" if that so accuracy is a must and a PG is not going to achieve that.
Now I'm considering the youth model (shorter stock) with an 18"+ barrel with mag extension.

Thanks for all the considerations, comments and opinions. All are appreciated.;)

Wise choice. Many people who are new to shooting don't realize how easy it is to miss with a shotgun. Especially under stress. Where one shines in the house is if you can hunker down and wait for the Calvary to get there. If you have to move in the house with one the shorter the better. A youth version should be fine for this.

Wise choice. Many people who are new to shooting don't realize how easy it is to miss with a shotgun. Especially under stress. Where one shines in the house is if you can hunker down and wait for the Calvary to get there. If you have to move in the house with one the shorter the better. A youth version should be fine for this.

EXACTLY.;)

I've been thinking about this too (20ga sahg) for better follow up and one less motor action

I figured full stock for several reasons. I wonder if there's a folder like on some of the Remington 870s.

Also, I know the mossberg 500 has a longer mag tube paired with the 20" barrel so maybe look into capacity even if it costs a couple inches.

Thanks to all who replied.
I was really wanting some thoughts on the Semi-Auto for HD. Does it weight too much for the reason why people don't use them? Or just cheaper to convert to a short barrel?
My dad's 20 ga. 1100 lightweight does just fine with a 26" barrel.
That being said, I see a recent shift towards the 20 for home defense.
Not sure what's fueling this, other than preppers possibly hedging their bet against the availability of 12 ga. ammo for when SHTF?
In my mind, I would think one would want to use the largest shell possible, so they could load the maximum amount of pellets, thus giving you the most dense pattern for the most open choke, possible.
However, your question was about the action of the gun used.
I feel semi-auto, in general, should work as well as anything else for defense.
The self loading feature may even prove beneficial in particular situations.
Granted, that self loading feature may also prove to a bit cantankerous from time to time, but I also feel that is more a characteristic of a particular gun, rather than a general comment on the action used.
Just remember to use a quality weapon, set the choke to either Cylinder or Skeet #1 and shove as many pellets into that load as you possibly can.

Dean

Last Edited:
I'm Going to see what is out there in SA & pump from all the advice from you all.
If anyone finds "A DEAL" please pass it on if you're not going to jump on it.

Thanks and remember to thank a Vet.;)

If you are older, you will find a semiauto gun much easier to shoot fast and accurately. Felt recoil will be noticeably less, due to the gas operated action absorbing and softening the recoil energy. The notion that semiauto shotguns are not reliable enough for self-defense use is rather laughable.

Getting a youth model 20 gauge is a good idea. They are more compact, and with a shorter barrel, and usually very lightweight.

The best deal on such a new shotgun would be the CZ-USA Model 720 reduced length Generation 2. Very well made shotguns ( despite their low price ), with key operating parts chromed. Even the barrel is chrome lined. You can find them brand new on www.gunbroker.com for $440 to $450.

Weighs only 6.3 lbs. Even comes with 5 different choke tubes.

CZ 720 Reduced Length G2 - CZ-USA

If you like to keep your guns real clean, they are also very easy to completely disassemble.

Last Edited:
Good advice about the short stock as it was mentioned before so must be a better option. As far as cycling issues I will have a few different makes to try & dial it in before I put into duty. Thanks.

There are some guns on the market that can struggle with cycling real light target ammunition.

However, I would assume that for home defense, you would not want to use such light power ammo, with tiny, fine birdshot. So that would really not be at all relevant, for a home defense shotgun. Any sort of Buckshot load would certainly be way more than powerful enough to cycle any semiauto.

What is with this unboxing bs?
People really GAF what things look like in the box?
Do they need a life?o_O

Lost me on that mjb but then I realized what this issue was.

I want to see shooting vids not look what I just got - reminds me of kids opening presents, but ones they bought themselves lol.

Lost me on that mjb but then I realized what this issue was.

I want to see shooting vids not look what I just got - reminds me of kids opening presents, but ones they bought themselves lol.
These vids are all over youtuber. They film all kinds of bs when :eek:" unboxing " :eek:
I guess I had better thing to do than care about an unboxing of some pan set or knives

MMmmm ... I just ordered a new to me vintage Bulova wristwatch.
Anyone care to come over when it arrives , pop a beer a watch me open the box? LOL!

I don't get the filming of opening a box either.
A new easy way to take down a gun , a shooting review or even a a history of a gun video , then yes. But unpacking ...naw....not for me.
Andy

There are some guns on the market that can struggle with cycling real light target ammunition.

However, I would assume that for home defense, you would not want to use such light power ammo, with tiny, fine birdshot. So that would really not be at all relevant, for a home defense shotgun. Any sort of Buckshot load would certainly be way more than powerful enough to cycle any semiauto.
True. I picked up a Rem SPR 453 years ago and had considered setting it up for HD. It's built like a tank (heavy) but has always been reliable. It's adjustable to accommodate variation in loads. I'd probably just decide on exactly what HD load I'd use then do some practicing to be sure the adjustment was dialed for 100% reliable cycling.
I had another SA import that was a copy of a CZ 712 as near as I could tell. It never once failed to cycle no matter what I fed it.
In my experience semi-autos get an undeserved bad rep for being unreliable.

True. I picked up a Rem SPR 453 years ago and had considered setting it up for HD. It's built like a tank (heavy) but has always been reliable. It's adjustable to accommodate variation in loads. I'd probably just decide on exactly what HD load I'd use then do some practicing to be sure the adjustment was dialed for 100% reliable cycling.
I had another SA import that was a copy of a CZ 712 as near as I could tell. It never once failed to cycle no matter what I fed it.
In my experience semi-autos get an undeserved bad rep for being unreliable.

The first is a great idea with an adjustable gas system but the average SA doesn't cycle many many rounds.

Went out with a couple people and out of the 3 different kinds of clay ammo we brought the SA one guy had would only cycle one reliably so I traded him a box basically.

It was a 1/8oz difference or one dram of powder, I can't remember but it was a very small difference.

I also think you can get trigger happy with a SA and when your 6-8 rounds are gone in 2 seconds you have a club until you reload.

The first is a great idea with an adjustable gas system but the average SA doesn't cycle many many rounds.

Went out with a couple people and out of the 3 different kinds of clay ammo we brought the SA one guy had would only cycle one reliably so I traded him a box basically.

It was a 1/8oz difference or one dram of powder, I can't remember but it was a very small difference.

I also think you can get trigger happy with a SA and when your 6-8 rounds are gone in 2 seconds you have a club until you reload.
BUT after 6 rounds off any shot gun and all you may need is a club
Or a squeegee :cool:

Certainly can't argue with that...again, from personal experience.:D

I guess depending on skill, you either have a club or a pile of dead bad guy.

Sorry for the resurrection of this thread, I'd forgotten about it...
I opted to shake up the 870 12ga that I have had forever and couldn't part with it... 4+1 capacity is what it has now & looking into the ext mag tube...

306300-1ef4c033b00971024aa48cb32c23d1e9.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads