JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Last year I had been thinking of turning my old duck & goose 870 12 ga into a HD weapon project with the pistol grip, 18" barrel and mag extension. I have found some parts to make this happen but I wanted to actually shoot one to see if I can handle the force (Luke, I'm your father) before I fully committed to it.
Fast forward to last month, I was at a range and a guy had one and he let me try it out with 8 rounds. I'll be rethinking my original needs for a 12 ga body destruction device.... It twer not nice on my arthritic hands atall....:(

So your thoughts on a 20 ga SA HD weapon....;)

Jim,
My two .20 gauge shotguns do double duty as hunting or home defense.
Which works for me 'cause I really get to "know" the gun though lots of use.
#3 buck in 2 3/4 inch is nothing to sneeze at .
Through both of my guns it patterns well and cycles fine.
Recoil is there , but not unpleasant.
Andy

Last year I had been thinking of turning my old duck & goose 870 12 ga into a HD weapon project with the pistol grip, 18" barrel and mag extension. I have found some parts to make this happen but I wanted to actually shoot one to see if I can handle the force (Luke, I'm your father) before I fully committed to it.
Fast forward to last month, I was at a range and a guy had one and he let me try it out with 8 rounds. I'll be rethinking my original needs for a 12 ga body destruction device.... It twer not nice on my arthritic hands atall....:(

So your thoughts on a 20 ga SA HD weapon....;)

The 20Ga would be fine for this with Buck in it. Just need to find one that was 100% reliable. Even in 20 not so sure about the pistol grip though if you have hands that did not like the 12. You may be better off looking at one of the Pistol Caliber Carbines (PCC's). Many are quite short and light. Very good for in house use as they are very easy to get around with. Even in 9mm with good ammo in a 16" tube you get the same performance as with a .357 in a 4" tube.

Properly loaded, a 20 should be fine for HD. My wife's HD shotgun is a 20-gauge (2¾ and 3") pump loaded with buck. She is a short person with tiny hands, so we went with a "youth" model that fit her.

Last Edited:
Thanks to all who replied.
I was really wanting some thoughts on the Semi-Auto for HD. Does it weight too much for the reason why people don't use them? Or just cheaper to convert to a short barrel?

I am not a SA shotgun fan - they are finicky about what cycles in them and that may not be ideal for your needs.

I'd ditch the pistol grip and use your shoulder on the stock personally.

#4 buck is my preference for HD.

I am a big and tall guy but the smaller "youth" 20ga pumps are fantastic for corners etc and I find them comfortable.

Just my 2¢

I am not a SA shotgun fan - they are finicky about what cycles in them and that may not be ideal for your needs.

I'd ditch the pistol grip and use your shoulder on the stock personally.

#4 buck is my preference for HD.

I am a big and tall guy but the smaller "youth" 20ga pumps are fantastic for corners etc and I find them comfortable.

Just my 2¢

Good advice about the short stock as it was mentioned before so must be a better option. As far as cycling issues I will have a few different makes to try & dial it in before I put into duty. Thanks.

I was really wanting some thoughts on the Semi-Auto for HD. Does it weight too much for the reason why people don't use them? Or just cheaper to convert to a short barrel?

Few in the "low end" are reliable enough. That does not mean that many are not. I would have no problem with one if it proved itself. It would be expensive to run enough rounds through one to make sure the load you pick will work. Not that it can't be done. Just don't fire off 5 or 10 rounds and figure it's good to go if you are going with an auto. Don't want it to choke if you end up needing it.

Find out what guys like for three gun shooting. I think there's some reasonable gas operated (they kick less than recoil operated) ones that have been proven reliable.

I've always thought a 20 gauge makes a pretty perfect home defense gun.

I've specifically tried numerous 20-ga semi autos, that were designed as defensive guns, and I've never found a single one that would reliably function with low-recoil buckshot loads, or even with Rio buckshot loads.

So as long as you know you might have to stick with the standard or high base loads, that's great, unless you do find a semi auto that just happens to work with the soft-puffer stuff. Or if you wanna stick with a pump, that's even more great, as you know it's going to function with any ammo, including the absolutely lightest loads.

WAYNO.

I'm Going to see what is out there in SA & pump from all the advice from you all.
If anyone finds "A DEAL" please pass it on if you're not going to jump on it.

Thanks and remember to thank a Vet.;)
I'd buy this badboy and cut it down, put a bead on it or not.. no matter..
It looks like it's a take-down model.. which is nice..

WTS WA - Wards westernfield 20ga

I really don't understand why anyone would want a pistol grip on a 12 ga. But that's just me. 410? Sure
To your question about a 20ga,I would think with most any load at HD distances,you would stop the treat.
My dad used to feed us killing deer with a 410 and slugs so a 20 gun should be plenty.
But pistol grips? And from the other thread,shooting from the hip?:rolleyes:
Rambo specials;)

I'm Going to see what is out there in SA & pump from all the advice from you all.
If anyone finds "A DEAL" please pass it on if you're not going to jump on it.

Thanks and remember to thank a Vet.;)

If you are looking for a pump Pawn shops often have them. For a long time stores like Western Auto, Sears, Wards, and such sold these under their own names. The guns were made by major manufactures and just had the stores name stamped on them. If you keep an eye on places like this you may well stumble on one. They often spend a lot of years in some closet un-fired. Will not matter what barrel length as it's simple to cut it down.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top