JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
A family friend was moving and they no longer wanted this "toy". Found out its not a toy but an old gun from the Civil War era

Anyone know if it is worth anything. It's beat pretty bad. Looks like someone literally took a Hammer to it.

Thank you in advance

Pics are horrible can post better 1s if anyone is interested.

16197502429522173318525642031215.jpg 16197502429522173318525642031215.jpg 16197503352992611640827048999379.jpg

Looks like a one of the various "Gibbs" Carbines...invented by Lucius H. Gibbs.

The one pictured was a "under-lever sliding barrel capping breechloader."
The design was patented on 8 Jan. 1856 , in 1857 , 20 were made.
It appears that one in the OP is missing the forearm....and the hammer , perhaps more...?

These carbines had difficulties with being manufactured , as well as suffering from the effects of the New York Draft riots of 1863... and fell short of delivery contracts.
Somewhere in the neighborhood of 1550 odd Gibbs carbines were actually delivered.

No idea of what one is worth....sorry.
Andy

Last Edited:
A family friend was moving and they no longer wanted this "toy". Found out its not a toy but an old gun from the Civil War era

Anyone know if it is worth anything. It's beat pretty bad. Looks like someone literally took a Hammer to it.

Thank you in advance

Pics are horrible can post better 1s if anyone is interested.

View attachment 873607 View attachment 873608 View attachment 873609
It certainly has value somewhere, to someone. I would search out early American firearms collectors' societies and possibly something like Fjestad's book of gun values. And, how about the American Rifleman's "I Have This Old Gun" feature? Any markings on the gun (even under the stock) will be helpful.

The kids were using it as a toy. It does look like the hammer was hammered on as it had the witness marks of it. The barrel is blocked. And it appears that they painted it at one time.

Thank you both for the information and tips. Not really looking to sell it. But if it has value I would take it back to them and let them know.

I think I found a same but functiong firearm. And it goes for like 4500.

Once again I appreciate the I fo thanks guys

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads