JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm planning an AR pistol build for next year. Looking to find out peoples' experiences with their AR pistols. If you were going to get another, replace the one(s) you have, what would you do differently, what wouldn't you change?

I have LONG been a PCC fan. When I first tried an AR pistol with a brace I fell in love. Only thing I will do "differently" is different calibers. When this panic ends I really want to get one of the CMMG in 10mm.
I did go with a couple of more expensive things on mine that I will stick with on others. One is the SB4 brace. They are pricey enough to buy several of some of the cheaper ones but to me, well worth it. The other is the Law-Tac folder adapter. They also are pricey but to me worth what they cost and I will get more. If someone builds one without these two items they could save several hundred bucks and still have a great gun. Another upside to these is how easy they are to change. If someone does go "cheap" its super easy to upgrade later.

I have a supressed .300 BLK SBR. It was my first build. It is 1-1.5 moa accurate off a rest using an Eotech for optic. I really like it, and definitely spent more for parts than needed. No complaints for the $$$.

All that being said, my build is only 9.5" barrel and running a titanium can...If I was to do it again, I would pay serious attention to weight. My rifle is not hard to handle, but holding at low ready/shooting for several minutes at a time in a class has me thinking about a lightweight build.

In addition, consider a carbine length build, as being able to extend your support arm farther out makes a difference.

IMG_20200516_190553.jpg

Last Edited:
Start with an adjustable brace, rather than a fixed brace & upgrading later!

Easiest "do it well" rite off the bat recommendation I have.

Hand stops, slings, sights? Whatever your use & preference.

Next (and reasonably priced) would be a blast forward device, or a blast "can" device (if planning suppressed later) until your stamp is approved.

Start with an adjustable brace, rather than a fixed brace & upgrading later!

Easiest "do it well" rite off the bat recommendation I have.

Hand stops, slings, sights? Whatever your use & preference.

Next (and reasonably priced) would be a blast forward device, or a blast "can" device (if planning suppressed later) until your stamp is approved.
Second this^ For the brace suggestion. Save yourself money and go adjustable off the bat.

I have a pistol with a 10.5" in 5.56.
There are only two things I'd change.
The SB4 is on that very short list.
The other is either a "blast forward" device for my brake (It's set up for one) or more likely, I'll just dump the brake.

I have two 10.5" 5.56 AR pistols. Less than that length is supposed to be much louder in 5.56. One has the SBA3 brace, which I really like, and one has the Maxim Defense PDW. The PDW, while shorter collapsed and slightly longer extended, is excessively expensive and I ended up having to do a JP springs special buffer kit because I could never get a regular buffer and spring setup to work. It's also harder to operate, especially one handed. In short, just go with a SB brace of some kind. I prefer the SBA3 looks to the SBA4, but it's a personal choice.

As for sights, I have a carry handle and fixed front sight post on one and it gives it a bit of a retro look, but the flat top is probably the most flexible and I run a little TRS-25 with flip up backup sights.

Additionally, I tried an angled foregrip on one and I never could get used to it. I bought a minimal Ariska Defense stop just to give myself a reference point so I didn't accidentally put my hand in front of the muzzle or touch a hot barrel.

And drums, while fun, are a pain.

Since threads need pics, here's one before I took off the AFG.

AR_Pistol_20180405_2.jpg

I have LONG been a PCC fan. When I first tried an AR pistol with a brace I fell in love. Only thing I will do "differently" is different calibers. When this panic ends I really want to get one of the CMMG in 10mm.
I did go with a couple of more expensive things on mine that I will stick with on others. One is the SB4 brace. They are pricey enough to buy several of some of the cheaper ones but to me, well worth it. The other is the Law-Tac folder adapter. They also are pricey but to me worth what they cost and I will get more. If someone builds one without these two items they could save several hundred bucks and still have a great gun. Another upside to these is how easy they are to change. If someone does go "cheap" its super easy to upgrade later.
One thing I found out the hard way...when I last checked, the Law Tactical folder will not work on a CMMG Banshee in 10mm...:(

One thing I found out the hard way...when I last checked, the Law Tactical folder will not work on a CMMG Banshee in 10mm...:(
Damn, I did not know that. Will have to hope the way those things are selling they will come out with one for them then. Wife bought me one for my birthday. I was "skeptical" of it due to price but damn it is very wall made and works great.

Damn, I did not know that. Will have to hope the way those things are selling they will come out with one for them then. Wife bought me one for my birthday. I was "skeptical" of it due to price but damn it is very wall made and works great.
Check with CMMG, but before I tried to install mine, about 6 mos ago, they said it's a no-go.

20200927_104026.jpg 20200828_104550.jpg

Tried a friend's 9.5 and a super short 7.5 before happily settling on a 1:7 10.5" CHF FN Barrel.

Second lots of opinions here, SBA3 with a splitfix feels amazing.

I do want to try a Law folder, but that's the last on the list of want to haves for this build.

I've been testing different bullet weights and so far have been amazed at quarter sized groups with bulk M193, and a nickel group with some home rolled 77gr.

I can post a full build list, but I can say I'm extremely happy with the performance and added maneuverability of my pistol and is by far my favorite over my rifle

Last Edited:
Based on mu experience and enjoyment of 5.56 pistols.

Don't go less than 10.5 for 5.56 pistol builds. Carbine gas system.
Get the SBA3 brace.
Don't put a brake on it. Birdcage works fine, I personally don't find the noise level to be bad with the birdcage, the flash can pushing it forward isn't necessary (but I shoot with earpro)

The rest boils down to personal preference.
I like the BCM Kinesthetic angled grip. I like putting a streamlight on 3 oclock. Red dot, sling, Magpul coupled mags. Bad lever, Larue MBT2s, etc

One thing I haven't learned yet is to finish whatever project you start. I have ended up with bits and pieces to build a bunch of different AR rifles and a couple of AR pistol builds but haven't completed any of them yet. I should have started and finished them one at a time. I have and like the design and quality of both the SBA3 and SBA4 braces.

One thing I haven't learned yet is to finish whatever project you start. I have ended up with bits and pieces to build a bunch of different AR rifles and a couple of AR pistol builds but haven't completed any of them yet. I should have started and finished them one at a time. I have and like the design and quality of both the SBA3 and SBA4 braces.

People who build them up from parts always end up with a parts bin, then inevitably the parts bin just needs a lower to become a complete lower, it's a vicious cycle. I helped a couple friends assemble some stripped lowers into complete lowers. Being a product of the lego generation it might as well be a lego set.

People who build them up from parts always end up with a parts bin, then inevitably the parts bin just needs a lower to become a complete lower, it's a vicious cycle. I helped a couple friends assemble some stripped lowers into complete lowers. Being a product of the lego generation it might as well be a lego set.
Unfortunately, my parts bin contains 95% of the parts to build several firearms along with a large pile of procrastination:)

Unfortunately, my parts bin contains 95% of the parts to build several firearms along with a large pile of procrastination:)

That just sounds like "fun" set aside for another day. Sometimes you see the guys who say "I own everything I wanted to own" and then this wave of contemplation washes over them because they hadn't though of what to do after that.

Skip the pistol calibers and build it in 5.56, 7.62x39 or 300blk. Get a good muzzle device to control flash. A good red dot or 1x prism scope with irons on a slant is a good combo or just straight irons. If you really want a stopper round build a 10.5" 458 socom.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top