JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
What do you do for iron sights? Do the factory ones sit high enough should the red dot fail? If not, what sights would you buy to make sure you can see the back up irons?

Thanks!

On a psitol, I put the tall Trijicon night sights that let you see over a silencer They also let me co-witness through a red dot .
I use QD mounts on my rifles so I can use the iron sights. I've been playing with the idea of the 45degree offset mount for iron sights on one of my ARs

On a psitol, I put the tall Trijicon night sights that let you see over a silencer They also let me co-witness through a red dot .
I use QD mounts on my rifles so I can use the iron sights. I've been playing with the idea of the 45degree offset mount for iron sights on one of my ARs
So suppressor sights on the pistol? Are the factory sights too low, or do you just prefer a taller iron sight so you can co-witness?

Thanks!

PS,
I'm covered on the rifle situation. In the past I actually ran a red dot on a 45 degree mount for fast, up close shooting. Worked well for me.

I swapped the OEM sights on a G-41 MOS for the suppressor height sights for use with a Dead Air Ghost M. They happen to co-witness with the Holosun red dot I installed, which made for a happy coincidence.

Normally you have to run suppressor height sights to clear the RDS. The optics normally don't sit low enough to allow the use of standard height iron sights.

My S&W M&P 2.0 Compact OR comes with suppressor height sights that co-witness through a Holosun 508. The RMR seems to sit slightly higher where just the tip of the sight shows. Just starting to use this but seems to be working well.

My M&P CORE came with suppressor height sights (fortunately). The taller sights are needed for a lot of red dots. Regular height sights wouldn't work for my RMR. But much can depend on the optic you are running.

If you're buying your gun, red dot enabled from the factory, there is a good chance it will already come with suppressor sights on it.

If this isn't the case or you had your slide milled, you may want to find a forum specific to your gun. Like if it's a Glock, there are probably a lot of folks on a glock forum that have already done this and can give you good recommendations. :)

What do you do for iron sights?
Tried a few different setups:

Full-size Glock MOS (with plates)
  • Deltapoint Pro: a Galloway Precision rear sight insert ($8 instead of the Leupold $100 option) and a Dawson Precision .485 x.100 front sight.
  • Deltapoint Micro: no front sight height adjustment required.
Small-size Glock MOS (no-plate)
  • Sig Romeo Zero with shroud: needs slightly taller front sight when using built in rear sight.
I'm not a fan of big, chunky rear suppressor sights - just seems like a lot of extra metal.I understand that the Romeo Zeros on P365XLs, Hex Wasp on Hellcats, and Shield RMSc's on G43X/G48MOS's don't require iron sight changes, but I have no experience with those setups.

Edit (after morning coffee)

Last Edited:
Switched my Hi Standard Supermatic to a red dot when I shot in bullseye matches back 30 years ago. Almost everyone shooting in Willamette Valley League did so, and I never changed back to irons. Now I use the Supermatic for plinking, and fun shooting, and still never use iron sights with it.

Suppressor height sights came factory on my M&P pro series core pistol, and if running a red dot I think they should be installed. They really help with sight alignment which is the first hurtle in use of a dot. Secondly, when I started with dots, the dot needs to be removed to replace the battery. That's not as much of an issue with today's choices in dots. The tall sights would help with a crude re-zero of the dot before confirming on the range. Lastly, of course they are a necessary back up in case of failure. I think the pro's for me outweigh any cons. Even without the dot, I shoot and pick up the taller sights, better accuracy and better speed for me.

Lots of great info. Appreciate it!

My specific set up will be this attached to an HK VP9B Optic ready pistol. After looking closer at the pictures of it, it appears I'll probably need to get a set of aftermarket suppressor sights. I'm kinda shocked to be honest since it comes as an optic ready pistol.

58386159-B505-4DDD-A0F1-94D486684541.jpeg

My specific set up will be this attached to an HK VP9B Optic ready pistol. After looking closer at the pictures of it, it appears I'll probably need to get a set of aftermarket suppressor sights. I'm kinda shocked to be honest since it comes as an optic ready pistol.

View attachment 1047826

Those are great guns. I believe they offer the same gun with suppressor height sights, optic cut, and a threaded barrel. I only buy pistols with those features unless it's for carry because I love to dot, and suppress everything. Even if not using a can, a thread on compensator/brake is nice to run.

View attachment 1047826

Most "optic ready" marketing is just that they are milled to directly bolt on an optic.

Depending on its purpose, irons may not be needed.

If I were to run a dot on a pistol, which I haven't done yet outside of rimfire, I'd likely just remove the sights all together. Especially if they impeded on the view through the dot.

I would prefer a "lower 1/3 co-witness"
You might ask what sight picture this Heinie set delivers when combined with your optic, so that you know what you're getting.
Co-Witness-Web.jpg

Last Edited:
What do you do for iron sights? Do the factory ones sit high enough should the red dot fail? If not, what sights would you buy to make sure you can see the back up irons?

Thanks!
I normally delete my open sights on a red dot enabled pistol. I may change my mind the first Trijicon RMR or SRO I have fail on me but 5 years in and they are still going strong without a hickup. You have a small optics window to deal with and the open sights just eat up critical real estate.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top