JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I think it sort of follows along with the WA Highway Patrol officer that took a shot at the fleeing person that ran over his foot. If a civilian had done that (took a shot at a fleeing person) that civilian would be arrested. Stealing a car is wrong, running over someones foot while trying to get a way is also wrong. But, the law says, and it should apply to all of us, it is not a capatial offense. This officer could not have been in fear for his life. The guy way running away.

The three recent shooting incidents involving children is another example. The two involving civilians resulted in arrests. The one invollving an LE no arrest. The double standards is a large part of what is causing the loss of respect.

But, the law says, and it should apply to all of us, it is not a capatial offense. This officer could not have been in fear for his life. The guy way running away.

You'll need to go back and read WA. State RCW as it applies to the incident, and you'll see why the Troopers reaction was well within the law.

You still may not agree with it, but the law is clear.

This case is a very good example how things can go wrong in as hurry, and why every traffic stop could the LEO's last.

The Trooper stops a car for using the car pool lane, but had no idea the car was stolen, as it had not been reported, or entered into the system as such.

Bottom line, every contact a LEO makes is a virtual unknown. As we don't know what transpired just minutes before the contact.

Every occupation has thier own challenges - if they cant handle the stress then maybe they aren't the right fit for law enforcement work. Every time a law enforcement member screws up it costs the tax payers more and more money. I as a tax payer do not feel that I am getting my money's worth out of our law enforcement. I for one am tired of hearing how tough it is to be a police officer and or hw dangerous thier jobs are. In my mind the civilians are at risk every time we come into contact with the police. How about the thirty rounds that were shot at the bad guy but the police only hit him three times. Where did the other 27 rounds go? As a civilian we are expected that every round we fire even in self defense we are repsonsible for - why aren't the police. There is a mjor double standard between a police and a armed civilian that in my mind should not exist.

James Ruby

Every occupation has thier own challenges - if they cant handle the stress then maybe they aren't the right fit for law enforcement work. Every time a law enforcement member screws up it costs the tax payers more and more money. I as a tax payer do not feel that I am getting my money's worth out of our law enforcement. I for one am tired of hearing how tough it is to be a police officer and or hw dangerous thier jobs are. In my mind the civilians are at risk every time we come into contact with the police. How about the thirty rounds that were shot at the bad guy but the police only hit him three times. Where did the other 27 rounds go? As a civilian we are expected that every round we fire even in self defense we are repsonsible for - why aren't the police. There is a mjor double standard between a police and a armed civilian that in my mind should not exist.

James Ruby

James, I suggest you go on a ride-along one evening. I guarantee it will open your eyes and change your opinion of the Portland PD.

Here is the REQUEST FORM.

Seriously, give it a try.

I made an open invitation on another thread I started...my passenger seat is always open for a ride along.

My intention is not to change anyone's opinion.

Another member here took me up on the offer, and we had very good time of conversation, sharing thoughts from both sides of the coin.

Yer welcome to sit in the passenger seat and unload on me all shift if ya want, no strings attached.

James Ruby

Every occupation? Really? Are you for real?

A challenge is not burning the fries or losing a sale because you couldn't close the deal. What a cop lives with is a bit more serious. I rarely have someone come into my work area and my first thought being "Was that a gun I just saw?".

The double standard you see is a different issue totally. Maybe you should take one of our officers posting here up on their offer to go on a ride along. It might give you a better perspective into what they deal with. Walk a mile in another man's boots and all that.

And you may be tired of hearing how dangerous it is, I'm sure they are tired of dealing with unappreciative people who spew hate until they need the cops then piss and moan because they didn't respond quick enough to save their asses.

^

Let's post how we all need the cops to save our used-car-selling or burger-flipping/fry-burning butts on a gun forum where most members are armed to the teeth. Maybe if the cops actually do the jobs you fantasize they do (stopping real criminals) I wouldn't have a problem with them. Too bad what they actually do is to enforce the law which is hopelessly corrupt and the cops don't seem to give a damn about that fact. Just following orders, the law is the law, and all those lame excuses.

Oh and that's ignoring the really bad cops which I admit are probably few in number, but the other "good cops" seem to tolerate in silence.

Actually we don't, it just doesn't get out the public much.

I really appreciate that if you do, but if you look at the link I posted earlier, there are numerous examples of Denver PD actively covering up for the bully.

However, since you yourself said if the DA refuses to prosecute, even the disdain of fellow cops will have little effect, or did I misread that? My argument is that one reason the law is corrupt is because it gives far too much leeway to state-sanctioned violence, so forgive me if I view all police with extreme skepticism because they represent the bureaucratic law which I hold in contempt.

...so forgive me if I view all police with extreme skepticism because they represent the bureaucratic law which I hold in contempt.

Fair enough...no offense taken.

When there's so many sheep in the system (those that just go along with the program), its hard for a few sheep dogs to change the thousands within the flock.

Kind of like comparing it to our government...sometimes I feel its too big to change.

I made an open invitation on another thread I started...my passenger seat is always open for a ride along.

My intention is not to change anyone's opinion.

Another member here took me up on the offer, and we had very good time of conversation, sharing thoughts from both sides of the coin.

Yer welcome to sit in the passenger seat and unload on me all shift if ya want, no strings attached.

I would be very happy to ride along as an impartial observer - It might open my eys and help me understand some of the things I see and hear - I would be happy to - how do I go about this process? I promise to view this with a fair and open mind.

James Ruby

Oops - I wasnt reading all of the posts - I got the form - thank you Rufus.
Now to find a time when I am not oncall. It will happen as I really should not complain until I understand more.

James Ruby

I see two problems that may or may not be the cause, but I tend to lean toward these being the cause;

1) Those on the edge are fed up with 'rogue' cops, and are fighting back;

2) The justice system has failed miserably, in allowing more violent people to walk.
If the judges themselves were the ones that had to re-capture these type of people,
you'd see a lot less of them being let out.

The death penalty is not used nearly enough for the worst offenders.. it's sort of final and would reduce further violence

I was reading the ride along form and came across this statement "I further agree to keep confidential my observations when requested
to do so by a member of the Police Bureau." can some one explain to me why this required - if I see soemthing I cant report it? Why cant I tell what I see as long as it is in a fair and unbiased perspective.

James Ruby

Because of what you observe during your ride along, could be part of a court case in which you may be called to testify.

But if it should be along the lines of Police misconduct, then by all means report it.

Before I moved here, I lived in Northern Colorado and joined a local police departments Citizens Committee. It was a great experience to see the level of cooperation between a department and the citiznes they protect. I was able to go on several ride along for entire shifts and was shocked by the chaos of many of the calls we attended. I was able to witness and ride along for high speed pursuits, domestic violence calls and DUI enforcement. It was a complete life attitude shift for me to see exactly the danger police officers put themselves in everyday. In fact just a couple of weeks ago one of the officers I knew, responded to a medical call at 1:00 in the morning and was shot twice in the back, one in the shoulder just outside his vest and the other lodged in his taser, the shooter than turned the gun on himself as the officer and his partner turned and returned fire.
All this to say, i have a lot more respect for those in blue, brown or gray. Would love to see some of the law enforcement haters do a few ride along and get to know the many fine men and women LEO's
BTW, would love to do a ride along here.

Let us know how this goes James. I'm quiet curious to hear about your experience.

Right now I am thinking around the 5th of May as they request two weeks notice and I am oncall the weekends of 4/21 /and 4/28. I am oncall 7X24 for two weeks at a time. I will let you know my honest and hopefully unbiased views based on what I see and learn. I will drop this by the police department tonight or tomorrow.

James Ruby

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads