JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Depends if I want zingers or not.

If I want light loads I'll use my handgun specs. Heavy loads I'll load up rifle specs.

Goes the same for .38 and .357

FWIW- and granted Im not a scientific experimenter that some here are- I found early on that .38spec cases in .357mag chambers in revolvers arent as accurate as similarly loaded .357s in the same chambers AS A RULE. I quit doing that 40 or more years ago. More modern ammo may be different these days. YMMV

This is a very good point. Out of six revolvers only two are .38 CTG yet I've always loaded in .38 sp brass.

Depends if I want zingers or not.

If I want light loads I'll use my handgun specs. Heavy loads I'll load up rifle specs.

Goes the same for .38 and .357

The reason for the thread was wanting to find people that loaded slower powders normally used in rifles for this M-94/16" barrel. And what those powders might be. I don't think I'm mistaken in believing hand gun powder needs to be fast to get a bullet moving in the short space of, generally, 6" or less. In my thinking, a slower powder that continues to burn further down the barrel will result in effective velocity for good accuracy, and lessen recoil and wear and tear on the gun. Reading the properties of 4227 sounds like the sort of powder I'm looking for. The loads for HS-6 are looking good too. Knowing that HS-6 likes a better case fill to burn fully. Plus, I have a bunch of it.

This crappy weather! Putting me off work, leaving me behind, and don't know when I'd get to the range. I want to make up some loads to try, but don't want to do it too far ahead of time.

The reason for the thread was wanting to find people that loaded slower powders normally used in rifles for this M-94/16" barrel. And what those powders might be. I don't think I'm mistaken in believing hand gun powder needs to be fast to get a bullet moving in the short space of, generally, 6" or less. In my thinking, a slower powder that continues to burn further down the barrel will result in effective velocity for good accuracy, and lessen recoil and wear and tear on the gun. Reading the properties of 4227 sounds like the sort of powder I'm looking for. The loads for HS-6 are looking good too. Knowing that HS-6 likes a better case fill to burn fully. Plus, I have a bunch of it.

4227 is my go-to rifle powder really puts the ooomph on the longer barrels.

Pistol is down to CFE-Pistol which meters well and burns fast.

No experience with HS-6 but I had many pounds of it at one point as a substitute for CFE when picking were scarce. The fuller capacity case stories ring true from my gatherings as well.

Hi Mike ! so, my older LYman's has some Unique loads, and they are no slouch.
ie:9.7 grains under a 125 jhp breaks just over 1800 fps. start at 7 grains for 1380 fps.
In the 158 jhp camp, 6.4-8.3 grains gets you 1218-1517 fps.

several other powders beat that but heck, everyone has Unique on the shelf ! lol , and they only beat it by a hundred fps or so.

did u ever get any fish last year, ? last I knew it had been a bust so far.

Hey Mike....Yes, I have unique. It was one of the powders I tried when I first started reloading 2011, because it was so.."unique".:D Never cared much for it though, doesn't measure all that good in the uni-flo and seemed dirty in some of the loads I was doing at the time. I know/respect it's reputation so I'll be trying it for this rifle.

We did good enough with the fish. Some slow days/some better. Just spent a little more time exploring and wandering around town.

settling the powder with a few light knuckle raps helps,with Unique, all powders actually,but especially flaky powders. almost a must with my Dillon measures.

Luckily I"m easy to please. If it hits steel at 15 yards, good enough !! lol

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads