JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've got a Winchester '94 AE in in .357 mag. 16" barrel and presumed 1" in 12" twist. I want to load some mid/lower .357 for it. Shooting my 124 gr .38 sp loads accuracy wasn't very good. Afterthoughts had me thinking it was possible to stick a bullet using my low/mid .38 loads with W231 even. :eek: So I'm curious what powders others use when loading .357 mag for a 16" barrel?

I realize I have the standard 2400, H110, Unique and other traditional .357 mag powders. I'd like to keep my velocity, say 1100fps and below. I didn't know if maybe guys were using some of the slower pistol powders such as HS-6. In other words, something between fast short barrel powders and traditional slower magnum powders. I love HS-6 for full size 9mm and .40 hand gun barrels. HS-6 run cleanest when it fills the case more than faster hand gun powders.

H110, Unique, Titegroup, #7, and #9 are all that I've used.

Titegroup or unique for 38s and 158 grain lswc.

The rest I've been experimenting with 357 and heavy bullets to go subsonic. I'm on the cusp of supersonic using 9.2 grains H110 and a 180 silhouette.

image.jpg

Thanks Reno....I was thinking on a different plane. I was looking at handgun data.:confused: The two books I have both have the rifle data, yay! I'll do some looking at those now to get the proper perspective.

I am currently using 7 grains of Unique with a 158 gr. plated bullet in my Henry BBB .357 and the accuracy is scary - nearly one hole at 50 yards however...
My Winchester 94 AE Trapper .357 really liked 'em hotter and it shot best with 16 grains of 296 with 158 grain jacketed bullets.
It too did not shoot .38 Specials very well.

Thanks Reno....I was thinking on a different plane. I was looking at handgun data.:confused: The two books I have both have the rifle data, yay! I'll do some looking at those now to get the proper perspective.
No problem!

Let me know if you ever decide that Winchester isn't for you!

I am currently using 7 grains of Unique with a 158 gr. plated bullet in my Henry BBB .357 and the accuracy is scary - nearly one hole at 50 yards however...
My Winchester 94 AE Trapper .357 really liked 'em hotter and it shot best with 16 grains of 296 with 158 grain jacketed bullets.

You know, I heard you the first time. I'm not DEEF! :s0113:

Okay, seriously. That's the kind of input I was looking for. I'm toying with the idea of picking up some 158s. I have a couple thousand 125s though. Shouldn't a twist of 1" in 12" be better for lighter bullets though? My Lyman book doesn't even show 296. And neither Lyman or Speer show Unique in the .357 for rifle. Your 16gr of 296 is 1.3 over max in the Speer 49 book. I realize though, if I look at more data sites things will be different.

And neither Lyman or Speer show Unique in the .357 for rifle.
My Speer manual # 9 shows 15.5 - 17.3 of 296 with 158 grain jacketed.
Also there is no reason to have to stick to 'rifle' data only - just load at the listed .357 mag data for handguns and shoot!
Also my Speer manual HAS rifle data but the loads are the SAME as in the handgun section.
They were just posting the results out of a rifle but the data was a carbon copy of the handgun data section.
Speer # 9 shows 7.3 - 7.8 of Unique with Jacketed 158s but I backed it off to 7 with the plated.

I found that a faster moving bullet have me better accuracy than the slow movers. I have several older Marlins, your Winchester may act differently.

My Speer manual # 9 shows 15.5 - 17.3 of 296 with 158 grain jacketed.
Also there is no reason to have to stick to 'rifle' data only - just load at the listed .357 mag data for handguns and shoot!
Also my Speer manual HAS rifle data but the loads are the SAME as in the handgun section.
They were just posting the results out of a rifle but the data was a carbon copy of the handgun data section.
Speer # 9 shows 7.3 - 7.8 of Unique with Jacketed 158s but I backed it off to 7 with the plated.

Yep...I see. I have Speer 14 and they backed it off a little in handgun. 6.9 Unique in 14.

What does your Speer 9 say for Unique using 125 gr JHP? I use Montana Gold which I believe would be considered top quality, up there with Hornady.

I found that a faster moving bullet have me better accuracy than the slow movers. I have several older Marlins, your Winchester may act differently.

I know slow movers don't do so well in the accuracy department. I kind a feel the 125 gr bullets I've been using with W231 and Bullseye in .38sp and +p levels are probably slower at the end of the barrel than in 6 inches from the chamber.

I make a 105gr 38 Special load for Cowboy Action Shooters that out of my 4" GP-100 run about 650 FPS. It is made to cycle well in a lever gun, very mild and very accurate.

Forgot to add that I'm using AA #2 powder.

Got any 4227 handy? I find it useful in 16" - 18" barrels. Like HS6 the fuller case seems to burn better. I use a mid range .357 mag charge of 15-15.5 grains in my .351 sl with a 158 cast bullet and so far it works very well and is easy on the old girl. Case fill is quite good. Averages a 2" group at 150yds with stock iron sights.

I make a 105gr 38 Special load for Cowboy Action Shooters that out of my 4" GP-100 run about 650 FPS. It is made to cycle well in a lever gun, very mild and very accurate.

Forgot to add that I'm using AA #2 powder.

I'm looking to get more velocity, gradually. A slower burning powder that continues pressure as the bullet goes down the barrel. AA-2 being a faster powder expends all it energy quickly. At least that's the way I see it. In a 6" barrel you need to get your velocity up there quickly.
8.5 - 9.0

Neither Speer 14/Lyman 49 have Unique listed in the rifle data.

Ive had decent results with w231, but I prefer unique as I can modulate the power a bit more. Just for kicks try a 105gr over a bit of trailboss. That is a fun load in rifle, almost like having a supressor on.

If it's any value to you, I can say that my 28" barreled Remington #1 rolling block with factory 158 gr. round nose lead .357 cartridges ran 1790 fps at the muzzle.

I use 4227, with a 158 gr RNFP lead bullet or 158 grain RN plated Berry's bullet in my Marlins (one 24" and one 16.5" barrel), and my Ruger 77/357. About 11 to 11.2 grains as I recall seemed to work for me.

If it's any value to you, I can say that my 28" barreled Remington #1 rolling block with factory 158 gr. round nose lead .357 cartridges ran 1790 fps at the muzzle.

Tempted to say you need to have pictures with that post! :D That's an oldie you had a sleeve put in, if I remember right?
First post was a misunderstanding on what I was expecting for velocity. I was mainly looking for powders people might be using that are different than the regulars for .357 mag in handgun.

I use 4227, with a 158 gr RNFP lead bullet or 158 grain RN plated Berry's bullet in my Marlins (one 24" and one 16.5" barrel), and my Ruger 77/357. About 11 to 11.2 grains as I recall seemed to work for me.

That has a good spread and a lower velocity. Good for the 125s I have too.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top