JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This year's woodpecker is a pro.

Taptaptaptaptaptap!!!

There are 2 angles I can get him from with a BB, but he can spot me and split long before I can get into position and draw a bead. I could get a clean shot from my neighbor's yard, next to the Obama sign still up from last time... or maybe not. Thought about just sitting out there dead-still in a lawn chair, but no dice. I have the attention span of a gnat and I live in waterworld.

And sadly, this year's spot is 30+ feet in the air, above a steep, soggy, muddy hill, so I'm not going up there on a ladder anytime soon to tack on some tin or spread the Tanglefoot paste.

Is there such a thing as an enticing woodpecker lure I can set up? Something that would bring him to a location where I can aim for 2 seconds?

Ideas welcome.

Yes they are....

In Oregon, the common flicker is the most abundant woodpecker species. It can be found drumming on wood siding, eaves and shingles of homes. These birds are territorial in nature, and drumming marks their territories and attracts mates. Woodpeckers also drill holes for nesting and roosting. These birds are protected by law. There are a number of different techniques you can use to discourage their activities.

Hang a lightweight plastic mesh netting at least 3 inches from affected wood areas.

Nail plywood over the excavated area.

Hang aluminum foil strips, colored plastic streamers, hawk silhouettes or mirrors near the affected wood.

Provide an alternative drumming site. Nail two boards together at just one end (producing resonation) and hang on a secure surface.

Use noise making tactics, such as clapping your hands or banging garbage can lids together.

Spray the birds gently with water from a garden hose when they start to drill or drum.

Eliminate any ledges or cracks on which the woodpecker is able to stand while drumming.

If woodpeckers continue to be a problem, a special permit may be obtained from the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service to destroy the birds.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top