JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The first step the US was heading that way was the "Gun Control Act" of 1968. Portions of that act came from the Gun Control in Germany prior to the war.

As history is written by the victor,polls and such are written by the ones paying for them.
As I know this so does folks on the gun control side.
Hence any polls showing what is used in crimes as there is in this vid would be put down as swayed.
It's a great vid but the left wouldn't believe any of it

A friend of ours from Germany is visiting over the holiday. We're the same age, attended senior year of high school together 30 years ago. He, raised, obviously under the German model of schooling, politics, etc., me, obviously, raised in the greatest country in the world :rolleyes: His last visit was 5 years ago. Last night we spent about 6 hours together, catching up, going over his adventures (he climbs mountains all over the world) and, toward the end of the night, he brought politics into it.

Now, he knows we're conservatives, and we know he's, by American political standards quite a hard-left liberal. This friend I've known for 30 years proceeded to, well the best word for it would be "lecture" me on our political system, how Trump was going to be worse for Germany than even for us here and how Americans have no idea how to run a country. Since he's my friend, I humored him in this conversation - we've never agreed politically, but this time, he was really rattled. I've never seen him like this before. Then he disclosed to me that "cried for 4 days" after Trump was elected. Are you sh!tting me?! This is a 47-year-old man, a highly intelligent software engineer/programmer and seasoned world traveler/adventurer, who couldn't function for 4 days because of a damn election? When did my old friend become a weepy special snowflake?!

We went on to further discuss politics - the whole time I had a friendly smile on my face, blocking attack after attack with reason and rational statements, while he countered with emotion and the same slanderous attacks used by the media during the election. When I asked for real, concrete evidence of his claims about certain people, he offered back in return emotion and hyperbole - hardly the tools of an intelligent, rational man. He also described Pence as, well, just about equivalent to Hitler himself, though he stopped short of that actual conclusion. He made the statement that Obama will go down as one of the greatest presidents in American history - I laughed out loud, in his face, which seemed to cause him some distress. As we continued to talk, his frustration only grew that I wasn't falling prey to his claims - at which point I reminded him I've heard all this for the last 18 months and he offered absolutely nothing substantive or new - I told him I've heard it all before, more times than I could count. He proceeded to assault the electoral college process and how outdated it was - my only response was a question - did you (he) or Hillary or anyone else complain about the electoral college being 'outdated' and needing to be replaced before Hillary lost?? Silence. He knew the answer - if the Dems had won, they would have been all to happy to have accepted the results of the election, based on the EC results. I told him if someone thought it was so outdated, they should have been working to abolish it years ago, but no, they are perfectly happy with it, when it works for them. This conversation went on for a good hour or so, until we had to leave to get our daughter. But before we left, he wanted to take one more swipe - at Cruz this time. I never mentioned Cruz or that I would have supported him, but he jumped to that conclusion. I asked him what was so bad about Cruz, and that's where this long response returns back to the point of this thread.

I asked him, like I did before, for some real examples of why Cruz would have been worse (his words) than even Trump. Here is the magic response. His concrete example of why Cruz would have been so bad, so dangerous for the US and the rest of the world, was summed up in this 1 minute YouTube video:

Yep. That's his concrete evidence of Cruz's unfitness to serve as President - he cooked bacon on an AR. In my friend's mind, that act showed that Cruz was so over the top, so psychopathic, that he could never be trusted to run anything. I smiled back at my old friend and said, politely, without the least bit of irony, that I think that simply made Cruz a fun guy and I'd love to cook bacon with him like that some day. Problem is that he's known me long enough to know that I'm no psychopath, that I'm nothing like the slanderous accusations he throws after the politicians I've supported, so when I say I agree with them, don't see the problems he sees, it really messes with his mind. I'm none of those things, but he only believes what the American media have told him to believe, so he sees only a contradiction he can't come to terms with. After he picked his jaw up off the floor, we wrapped up our conversation. I left him with this - here's your problem - you've spent way too much time in Germany - you need to come and live as an American for a while, maybe we can get you straightened out ;) I fear I may have made him cry a little again last night after we left :(

I think his responses, both to the political discussion, and to the gun discussion is simply pointing out that for some folks, not just in Germany, but here at home, guns are so terrifying, so horribly frightening, that there is no amount of reason, no amount of reality, that can overturn the deep-seated fear and hatred they have of the things, or the people that own them. For them, reason, ration, even well-mannered gun owners, will never be enough to overcome their irrational fear of an inanimate object or of their owners.

I hope he comes back to visit soon - I haven't yet shown him what's in my safe, or taken him to shoot his first AR :rolleyes:Unfortunately, I fear I won't see him for at least 8 years - he said he won't return to the US so long as "President P*ssy Grabber" is still in office o_O

Last Edited:
A friend of ours from Germany is visiting over the holiday. We're the same age, attended senior year of high school together 30 years ago. He, raised, obviously under the German model of schooling, politics, etc., me, obviously, raised in the greatest country in the world :rolleyes: His last visit was 5 years ago. Last night we spent about 6 hours together, catching up, going over his adventures (he climbs mountains all over the world) and, toward the end of the night, he brought politics into it.

Now, he knows we're conservatives, and we know he's, by American political standards quite a hard-left liberal. This friend I've known for 30 years proceeded to, well the best word for it would be "lecture" me on our political system, how Trump was going to be worse for Germany than even for us here and how Americans have no idea how to run a country. Since he's my friend, I humored him in this conversation - we've never agreed politically, but this time, he was really rattled. I've never seen him like this before. Then he disclosed to me that "cried for 4 days" after Trump was elected. Are you sh!tting me?! This is a 47-year-old man, a highly intelligent software engineer/programmer and seasoned world traveler/adventurer, who couldn't function for 4 days because of a damn election? When did my old friend become a weepy special snowflake?!

We went on to further discuss politics - the whole time I had a friendly smile on my face, blocking attack after attack with reason and rational statements, while he countered with emotion and the same slanderous attacks used by the media during the election. When I asked for real, concrete evidence of his claims about certain people, he offered back in return emotion and hyperbole - hardly the tools of an intelligent, rational man. He also described Pence as, well, just about equivalent to Hitler himself, though he stopped short of that actual conclusion. He made the statement that Obama will go down as one of the greatest presidents in American history - I laughed out loud, in his face, which seemed to cause him some distress. As we continued to talk, his frustration only grew that I wasn't falling prey to his claims - at which point I reminded him I've heard all this for the last 18 months and he offered absolutely nothing substantive or new - I told him I've heard it all before, more times than I could count. He proceeded to assault the electoral college process and how outdated it was - my only response was a question - did you (he) or Hillary or anyone else complain about the electoral college being 'outdated' and needing to be replaced before Hillary lost?? Silence. He knew the answer - if the Dems had won, they would have been all to happy to have accepted the results of the election, based on the EC results. I told him if someone thought it was so outdated, they should have been working to abolish it years ago, but no, they are perfectly happy with it, when it works for them. This conversation went on for a good hour or so, until we had to leave to get our daughter. But before we left, he wanted to take one more swipe - at Cruz this time. I never mentioned Cruz or that I would have supported him, but he jumped to that conclusion. I asked him what was so bad about Cruz, and that's where this long response returns back to the point of this thread.

I asked him, like I did before, for some real examples of why Cruz would have been worse (his words) than even Trump. Here is the magic response. His concrete example of why Cruz would have been so bad, so dangerous for the US and the rest of the world, was summed up in this 1 minute YouTube video:

Yep. That's his concrete evidence of Cruz's unfitness to serve as President - he cooked bacon on an AR. In my friend's mind, that act showed that Cruz was so over the top, so psychopathic, that he could never be trusted to run anything. I smiled back at my old friend and said, politely, without the least bit of irony, that I think that simply made Cruz a fun guy and I'd love to cook bacon with him like that some day. Problem is that he's known me long enough to know that I'm no psychopath, that I'm nothing like the slanderous accusations he throws after the politicians I've supported, so when I say I agree with them, don't see the problems he sees, it really messes with his mind. I'm none of those things, but he only believes what the American media have told him to believe, so he sees only a contradiction he can't come to terms with. After he picked his jaw up off the floor, we wrapped up our conversation. I left him with this - here's your problem - you've spent way too much time in Germany - you need to come and live as an American for a while, maybe we can get you straightened out ;) I fear I may have made him cry a little again last night after we left :(

I think his responses, both to the political discussion, and to the gun discussion is simply pointing out that for some folks, not just in Germany, but here at home, guns are so terrifying, so horribly frightening, that there is no amount of reason, no amount of reality, that can overturn the deep-seated fear and hatred they have of the things, or the people that own them. For them, reason, ration, even well-mannered gun owners, will never be enough to overcome their irrational fear of an inanimate object or of their owners.

I hope he comes back to visit soon - I haven't yet shown him what's in my safe, or taken him to shoot his first AR :rolleyes:Unfortunately, I fear I won't see him for at least 8 years - he said he won't return to the US so long as "President P*ssy Grabber" is still in office o_O

We Americans Like our Guns & Bacon.

The Firearms Control Act of 1968 was indeed closely modeled after the 1938 German Weapons Act. The legislation was introduced by Senator Thomas J. Dodd from Connecticut, who was personally in possession of a copy of the 1938 German Weapons Act... And wrote his legislation based upon that then 30 year old document.

There should be no doubt in anyone's mind as to the true intentions of the gun control crowd... We are indeed on the path to repeating history...

But just as the gazelle has been endowed by its Creator with horns to defend and protect itself, we've been endowed by our Creator with the means to defend and protect ourselves, and firearms are one of those methods.

No human has the authority to take away a God given right... And like the gazelle will never be dehorned, we must ensure that we are never disarmed... Ever...

Cooking bacon was genius.

Afraid you will lose that friend. I have lost four or five good friends that drank the kool aid of the left.

Well, if I lose him as a friend, it will be because of him, not me. I'm content knowing people that believe differently than I do - in fact, I said as much last night - I said "wouldn't it be boring to live in a world where everyone believed exactly the same thing?" - his response was a silent look of disdain. I can be friends with people of differing religious, political or other beliefs, not everyone can do that. I guess I'll see if he's still willing to talk to me after 4 years of Trump :rolleyes:

@etrain16 ....:s0114: That's a dumb arsed video, seen it before. Laughed my but off!

It's hard to believe that there are, (so many), people that will completely draw away from an inanimate object, and completely refuse to learn about an inanimate object, just on the words of media alone.

This German friend of yours, how could he possible have the courage, be so adventurous, to go mountain climbing? It defies logic! That mountain in infinitely MORE dangerous than ANY properly functioning fire arm.

@etrain16 ....:s0114: That's a dumb arsed video, seen it before. Laughed my but off!

It's hard to believe that there are, (so many), people that will completely draw away from an inanimate object, and completely refuse to learn about an inanimate object, just on the words of media alone.

This German friend of yours, how could he possible have the courage, be so adventurous, to go mountain climbing? It defies logic! That mountain in infinitely MORE dangerous than ANY properly functioning fire arm.

Maybe I should have asked him how he would feel about mountain control? People die climbing mountains almost every day around the world. Wouldn't it be worth it if we just put a ban on mountain climbing to save lives? Maybe limit climbing to know more than say, 500 feet, just to make sure people are less likely to be killed o_O

I think you handled that just right as you did. I don't know you past what I read on this forum, but your patience and constraint seem to be a sure sign of love for a friend.

We have a long and difficult row to hoe.

PS
I wont be visiting Germany until Merkel gets all of those military-aged Syrian refugees vetted. Or the AfD (conservative party) wins and makes sweeping imigration changes.
Merkel allies warn of Trump effect, poll shows Germans dismayed

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top