JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've been thinking about getting a dog.

There's some criteria I consider, like disposition, propensity for health issues, life span, diet needs, ability to jump a fence, and I guess need to add "appetite for cat poop"!
We had one dog that ate cat poop and remote controls. Not all dogs seem to do it, and I definitely don't want a cat poop eating dog licking my face!

I've been thinking about getting a dog.

There's some criteria I consider, like disposition, propensity for health issues, life span, diet needs, ability to jump a fence, and I guess need to add "appetite for cat poop"!
We had one dog that ate cat poop and remote controls. Not all dogs seem to do it, and I definitely don't want a cat poop eating dog licking my face!
"Not all dogs seem to do it, and I definitely don't want a cat poop eating dog licking my face!"

Yeah, the thought of the dog licking the neighbor's face makes me giggle too.
A friend of mine was visiting in-laws. The family dogs loved him. They loved being pet and kept licking his hands. About half an hour later one of the dogs came back over to be pet some more. One of the in-laws told him "I don't know why you keep letting them lick you. They were out in the field eating horse bubblegum before you got here."

They were there for a family dinner. :rolleyes:

"I've been thinking about getting a dog.
There's some criteria I consider..."

Big purebreds are more likely to manifest hip dysplasia, and purebreds in general have more problems arising from recessive genes. Mutts will have better immune systems and less issues that result from inbreeding.

"I've been thinking about getting a dog.
There's some criteria I consider..."

Big purebreds are more likely to manifest hip dysplasia, and purebreds in general have more problems arising from recessive genes. Mutts will have better immune systems and less issues that result from inbreeding. Hip dysplasia in German Shepherds is an example.

A good breeding program with genetic testing prevents most issues you speak of. Although there is no 100% guarantee that a dog wont develop a critical illness during its lifetime. Similar to humans.
There are things outside of our control whether its due to environmental issues, bad breeding, or life just happens.

"A good breeding program with genetic testing prevents most issues you speak of. Although there is no 100% guarantee that a dog wont develop a critical illness during its lifetime. Similar to humans.
There are things outside of our control whether its due to environmental issues, bad breeding, or life just happens. "

Yepers, this is why so many Police K9's now come from out of the country. They pay enough for one dog to buy a damn nice car. So they are far more careful about this. Sloppy inbreeding is what causes so many problems with purebreds. Basically you do not want to buy dogs from puppy mills and you are often going to do fine.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top