JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm looking at these INSANE prices people are paying for crap AR's and i'm wondering, Why spend 2k to 2500 on one of the weakest centerfire rifle calibers made when for 2500 you can get single shot 50BMG Rifles? I personally would MUCH rather have a Single shot 50BMG for the money in just about any SHTF situation. is my thinking off? what do you guys think?

First off...... People shouldn't be be paying these prices. It's completely retarded.
Second...... At two bucks or more per round, with a breech loader rifle, some people would not have near as much fun plinking with a .50.

I'll have to agree. This is madness. I know that the markup is minimal when a dealer sells a gun, but this price gouging has gotten out of hand. I understand people need to make a buck, and am fully behind small busniess turning a profit. However, what is going on is Highway Robbery. Taking advantage of peoples lack of knowledge, and playing on their fears is just wrong. Dead wrong. About a fifty cal. I'd pass. I like a nice .308. For the time being I can still afford to shoot one of those, and for my purpose it's more than enough.

Its only worth what people will pay for it.
I know it sucks now, but in a few months ( if there is no AWB) people will have bills to pay and junk to take care of. They will not have or see a need to keep a gun around, and those who panic bought will be the first to sell. Eventually prices will go back down..

(at least this is my hope)

I have two PTR's and .308 is one of my favorite rounds. AR's just arent my thing. And i was lucky, back when 50BMG ammo was 75 cents a round i bought 600 rounds. i needed money a few years back and sold 400 of them for 2.50 a round but i still have 200 rounds of 50BMG and you couldnt pry those rounds out of my cold dead hands now! :s0112:

Its only worth what people will pay for it.
I know it sucks now, but in a few months ( if there is no AWB) people will have bills to pay and junk to take care of. They will not have or see a need to keep a gun around, and those who panic bought will be the first to sell. Eventually prices will go back down..

(at least this is my hope)

+1, there are a lot of people that have an extra rifle or two and see a opportunity here. I was mad at the price gouging but with people breaking down the doors to get a basic (DPMS Oracle) at $2k...

To me an AR is the little young bull telling the old bull Lets RUN down there and screw a cow, and the 50BMG is the Bull telling the youngster, lets walk down and screw em all :cool:

They are still 8650 for the M82A1 and the CQB model at the 50bmgstore.com . it says that quantities are extremely limited on the 20 inch barrel CQ model but apparently not limited on the standard model. LAR Grizzly's are IN STOCK for 2495. I'm sorry but the price range on 50BMG rifles is already up there where few people own them anyways so they arent going to jump in price the way lighter guns will. The ammo on the other hand is a whole different matter.... most ammo i have seen is 3.50 to 5 dollars or more a round.

I have to disagree with the AR rifle platform being ineffective. It has its place and has been used by American troops in multiple wars and has the design and components have been improving. Also, from what I am reading in some books on the subject, many military and sniper teams are replacing their trusty old bolt guns with AR-10 semi auto sniper-type rifles. Personally, I think the AR is one of the best home defense weapons for someone living in close quarters to neighbors. With such a fast and light round, it has tendency to fragment when it hits walls, rather than over-penetrate, which even your handgun and shotgun rounds will be prone to do. I replaced my home defense gun from a shotgun to my AR-15 and feel confident with that. Do you really feel safe defending your home or clearing a room with a 50BMG? Are you proficient and trained enough in this caliber to feel confident that it will be the most effective tool for the situation? Personally, considering we live West of the Cascades with a limited range, I would think some of the extended benefits of .50 cal are being limited. An AR-15/AR-10 can be used as a CQB weapon you carry around a building with tight corners, narrow hallways, or even that you lug up a mountain. It can also be used as short-mid range rifle. It also weighs less than a 50BMG and makes a more effective club when you run out of ammo :rolleyes:.

With some of the ammo I have for my AR-15, I am almost getting 6.8 ballistics at 100yd, with less recoil and for a considerably less amount of money in ammo and equip costs.

Of course, if I was rich man , I'd be happy to stock up on 50BMG now.

On another note.. If you want an effective semi auto rifle that won't break the bank and is quite an effective battle rifle, the Saigas are still sanely priced, but finding the mags will be tricky.. However, the Saiga 223s and x39s can be modified to accept the AR and AK-standard magazines.

$850 , 10 hours left for Saiga 308.. Not a bad deal considering crazy panic prices, for a perfectly good defensive Semi-Auto evil black rifle
Saiga 308 AK-47 Izhmash .308 Russian AK47 : Semi Auto Rifles at GunBroker.com

To me an AR is the little young bull telling the old bull Lets RUN down there and screw a cow, and the 50BMG is the Bull telling the youngster, lets walk down and screw em all :cool:

The old bull .50BMG would just say "let's just stay on this hill and nail 'em from here".

E

I have to disagree with the AR rifle platform being ineffective. It has its place and has been used by American troops in multiple wars and has the design and components have been improving. Also, from what I am reading in some books on the subject, many military and sniper teams are replacing their trusty old bolt guns with AR-10 semi auto sniper-type rifles. Personally, I think the AR is one of the best home defense weapons for someone living in close quarters to neighbors. With such a fast and light round, it has tendency to fragment when it hits walls, rather than over-penetrate, which even your handgun and shotgun rounds will be prone to do. I replaced my home defense gun from a shotgun to my AR-15 and feel confident with that. Do you really feel safe defending your home or clearing a room with a 50BMG? Are you proficient and trained enough in this caliber to feel confident that it will be the most effective tool for the situation? Personally, considering we live West of the Cascades with a limited range, I would think some of the extended benefits of .50 cal are being limited. An AR-15/AR-10 can be used as a CQB weapon you carry around a building with tight corners, narrow hallways, or even that you lug up a mountain. It can also be used as short-mid range rifle. It also weighs less than a 50BMG and makes a more effective club when you run out of ammo :rolleyes:.

Good points! I am not complaining so much about the AR platform. I was more complaining about prices. I just cant imagine paying 2500 dollars for an AR.... Not even an AR10 unless its a really good one. Not when i could get a 50BMG for the same price. I have pistols with frangible ammo for home defense, along with a baseball bat! LOL I am FULLY aware of penetration problems with most common rounds as we had a large abandoned home on a friends property growing up and ran thousands of rounds through the walls :s0112: even 55 grain fmj 223 ammo was a through and through on the house. (that was 4 walls of penetration) birdshot in a shotgun was the least penetration, 1 wall and embedded in the second. Frangible pistol ammo's most only penetrated 1 wall. And 50 calibers i've heard penetrate on average 26 homes lined up end to end 3:)
As far as CQB, i'm not a fan of that either, i'm too lazy now! i'd rather sit half a mile away and see the guy hiding behind the brick wall and shoot the wall down and the guy with it than have to "round the corner" and engage him at close range LOL But i was in no way advising anyone to use a 50 cal for home defense!

I'm looking at these INSANE prices people are paying for crap AR's and i'm wondering, Why spend 2k to 2500 on one of the weakest centerfire rifle calibers made when for 2500 you can get single shot 50BMG Rifles? I personally would MUCH rather have a Single shot 50BMG for the money in just about any SHTF situation. is my thinking off? what do you guys think?

First off it is an effective round and have seen it in person. It will drop you period.

Not like a fifty though. But I will take the AR over a single shot 50 though.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

I agree with your opinion about the insane AR prices, but a single shot .50 BMG for "just about any SHTF situation" you can think of... :rolleyes: ?

Keith

.50's are awesome but they are a special purpose weapon best used for extreme ranges and hardened targets. The beauty of the AR is it's flexibility, it can do a lot of things reasonably well. For most SHTF scenarios the AR makes much more sense than a .50 in my opinion. Price... well I wouldn't pay a big mark-up on any gun right now, of course I already have the ones I need so that makes me kinda biased.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top