JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Allot also has to do with the server being dedicated or shared. VB is good forum program, I notice at times it is slow, but there are allot of ads and scripts ( I disabled) that will slow it down too. A few of the advertisers have a ping of 8-10ms making the pages slow too.

Some of the ads coming from other servers are really slow at times.

Ads are likely a huge drain, and with several containing changinf graphics/animation, there is constant loading of data. Add in other factors, and there you go.

This really depends on several factors, your connection, processing speed, and anti-virus/firewall are chief among them. As a person that designs and hosts websites and has done inumerable VB forums for clients on both shared and dedicated spaces I run into this occasionally. Most often with users from Verizon. While it would be difficult to diagnose the exact issue without being able to remotely access the computer that you're having the slowness with, give this a try.

Click on the windows logo or start button in the bottom left side of your screen. If you need to click RUN, or just type cmd.exe into the field you see there. When the little black window opens type this:

ping northwestfirearms.com. This will create a report for you that looks like this:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6002]
Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\heidland>ping northwestfirearms.com

Pinging northwestfirearms.com [69.167.176.141] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 69.167.176.141: bytes=32 time=13ms TTL=50
Reply from 69.167.176.141: bytes=32 time=17ms TTL=50
Reply from 69.167.176.141: bytes=32 time=31ms TTL=50
Reply from 69.167.176.141: bytes=32 time=17ms TTL=50

Ping statistics for 69.167.176.141:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 13ms, Maximum = 31ms, Average = 20ms

C:\Users\heidland>

Since there are 1,000ms in 1 second you can see my response time from the host of the site is pretty fast. That doesn't speak to load time, just the time it takes to connect and receive an answer back. For load time, if you have FireFox, you can get a plug-in named LORI. That's geekspeek for 'Life Of Request', and is how those of us that design and manage websites double check load-speed issues.

LORI will tell you the time it takes your browser to access the first byte of information from a website (1.042 S for this site) through the time a page is completely loaded (2.105 S). If, at anything over a 1M connection you are having more than 3 S to load a page there is either something with your connection or specific client that is preventing the page load quickly, or there are too many large object server requests on that page.

As far as VB forums go, this one loads more quickly (for me) than most of the other's I interact with :)

Please understand, I enjoy this site. It's education, helpful, mostly decent folks.
Here's my question.
Why is it so slow?
As an example.
Ifish.net is twice as fast.
Just curious.

I have the exact opposite with ifish, all the flashing, mind numbing advertising.....

This sight goes POP at the click of the mouse, Iadvertise.net takes 2-4 seconds, sometimes more.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top