JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Anything good probably ends up at the PD for use on the range.
Well, the 'popular' stuff is going to wind up somewhere other than the incinerator.

And, let's say some of the ammo 'disposed' of are reloads, and maybe they are not exactly loaded 'properly', and maybe they are 'disposed' of in a new box, and well then make it into a gun somewhere...

Can you say razor blade in an apple?

Well, the 'popular' stuff is going to wind up somewhere other than the incinerator.

And, let's say some of the ammo 'disposed' of are reloads, and maybe they are not exactly loaded 'properly', and maybe they are 'disposed' of in a new box, and well then make it into a gun somewhere...

Can you say razor blade in an apple?
Project Eldest Son
Viet Nam

Just sayin'

I think it is actually not a bad idea.

I hate to see it burned, but what would you suggest doing with it if you are not an experienced shooter and ammo reloader.

Pulling the projectile, spreading the powder on a lawn/garden, soaking the case in oil (to deactivate the primer) and then recycling the metals is safer than burning the whole ammo - IMO.

Pulling the projectile, spreading the powder on a lawn/garden, soaking the case in oil (to deactivate the primer) and then recycling the metals is safer than burning the whole ammo - IMO.
These people most likely do not know a primer from the bullet, let alone have the time, tools or ability to safely break down the ammo.

Burning it under the right circumstances would not necessarily be unsafe but I believe very little would make it to the incinerator. I predict they will have local LEOs, possibly other 'knowledgeable' people there for identification and then this in the 'back room' ,

'Well guys let's split up all the 9mm' ' Hey Joe, You have a .357 right? Take all this .357' 'Hey anybody with a (insert caliber) ? grab this if you can use it'', 'Hey this looks valuable. It's an old box of something called .45 Colt with a date of 1873 on it and its full!'

Its 'shark behavior' - throw out the chum and it gets gobbled up.

Last Edited:
A couple years ago there was a guy on here, as I recall, who had 1,000 rounds of .40 S&W that he had reloaded, using quality components and good quality jacketed bullets, who was asking about how to dispose of them because he thought he had inadvertently double charged a few of them.

As I recall he ended up taking them to the local police or fire department. He absolutely refused to sell or give them to anyone for components, even had some offering a signed statement that they would not fire them. He was concerned that someone would dishonestly re-sell or shoot them and he just wanted them gone.

To each their own. I recently bought 1k 9mm reloads. I'm in the process of pulling them down to re-reload them to my specs. I only bought them because they were cheap enough to be worth it in this new drought of components. As I'm pulling them 50 or 100 at a sitting, I'm wondering about the wisdom of my decision. Salvaging ammo for components like this is really only for those with plenty of spare time and patience.

A couple years ago there was a guy on here, as I recall, who had 1,000 rounds of .40 S&W that he had reloaded, using quality components and good quality jacketed bullets, who was asking about how to dispose of them because he thought he had inadvertently double charged a few of them.

As I recall he ended up taking them to the local police or fire department. He absolutely refused to sell or give them to anyone for components, even had some offering a signed statement that they would not fire them. He was concerned that someone would dishonestly re-sell or shoot them and he just wanted them gone.

To each their own. I recently bought 1k 9mm reloads. I'm in the process of pulling them down to re-reload them to my specs. I only bought them because they were cheap enough to be worth it in this new drought of components. As I'm pulling them 50 or 100 at a sitting, I'm wondering about the wisdom of my decision. Salvaging ammo for components like this is really only for those with plenty of spare time and patience.
What method are you using to pull the bullets?

"People" is not the government.

CAC324C8-6C4E-42A4-81F2-4412A42C858D.jpeg

Sounds like the government to me.

Salvaging ammo for components like this is really only for those with plenty of spare time and patience.
Oh man ain't this the truth!

In my life of reloading I have probably salvaged less than a couple hundred rounds, and then those were just some that had been given to me over the years and I could either use the brass or bullets.

Heck the last ammo I 'salvaged' was a bunch of old .30 Luger for the bullets only.

The powder dumped on the gravel and lit up for a brief display and the brass went into the shop stove for entertaining popping sounds!

What method are you using to pull the bullets?
I'm using a kinetic puller. The bullet style doesn't work with a collet puller. They come out pretty easily with a blow or two, and the bullets are undamaged. I reuse the primed brass too.

I've picked up many hundreds of loose rounds off the ground at the range over the years. I pull them apart when I get home since it's only a few at a time and it doesn't take long. Lead bullets go in the melting pot, and undamaged jacketed bullets get saved. The primed brass gets used if it looks good, for moderate plinking loads. I haven't loaded any in a while and have 6 or 700 saved up ready to go. With primers being unobtainium now, I'm feeling like a little less of a bottom-feeding scrounger now.

Well I have to admit, people not knowing what to do with unwanted ammo is how I ended up with alot of cool old ammo boxes.

When I worked at a LGS in the late 80s and early 90s we would get the widows of WW2 vets bringing in boxes of misc ammo and accessories.

Most of it was not worth much or too old to trust. Usually by the time these boxes made it to our floor relatives had already cherry picked what they wanted.

20201025_164620.jpg

20201025_164623.jpg

20201025_164626.jpg

-E-

I think it is actually not a bad idea.

I hate to see it burned, but what would you suggest doing with it if you are not an experienced shooter and ammo reloader. ...

It's a terrible idea -- they are going to incinerate it. So lead vapor will spew out and pollute the environment with a dangerous metal. They could collect it and then resell it to residents. They could sell it to companies that take it apart and sell components. They could give it away. Instead, they want to do the least responsible thing possible with it.

It's a terrible idea -- they are going to incinerate it. So lead vapor will spew out and pollute the environment with a dangerous metal. They could collect it and then resell it to residents. They could sell it to companies that take it apart and sell components. They could give it away. Instead, they want to do the least responsible thing possible with it.
I think incinerate implies burn to ashes as in cremate, whereas ammo and explosive disposal generally means heating in a fire to the point where any combustibles (gun powder, primers, etc) ignite then collect the remaining metals. And yeah there are some products of combustion, but essentially the same ones as are generated by ignition in a firearm. Better still are the folks who step up and manually disassemble the ammo, recover the brass, lead, and other metals; and then likely burn the pulled gunpowder and primers. A labor intensive effort. Would you reuse gun powder or primers that had an unknown origin?

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top