JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I talked with my grown son over the weekend. He is up in Montana. Asked me if I knew much about old hexagonal barreled lever guns. Well, he got my attention with that question. Said he has a friend who loaned him an old 30-30 to see what could be found out about it. The story was that this rifle had once belonged to his grfather. Inherited it after the old man passed. Put it in the closet years ago and pulled it out recently to look at it. The current rifle owner is not a gun-guy but my son is. So my son called me after sending some pics. Took my breath away! I thought it was a Winchester 1894 and that turned out to be accurate. The barrel has stamped on it "For use with smokeless powder". Its
serial number is only five digits! According to Winchester dating it was made in 1896! That took both our breaths away. Son said that the action works OK but a little slowly. I advised son to tell his friend do not shoot it without a competent smith giving the OK. Secondly I let him know to tell his friend to have it appraised by a reliable firearms appraiser. Suggested he take it over to Cody, WY to the firearms museum there as an option for a valuation. [joke coming ...] Heck I told him to offer his friend $100 just to take it off his hands. Not really, but its a good story. We went on to pass some pleasurable time reminiscing about all the history this old gun has been around for. Other pics sent of it and its a beaut! No visible rust and no damage either.

20200823_192501.jpg

Last Edited:
Thats a beautiful gun. Id be proud to own it.

I don't think there much original finish left on the receiver. The barrels on old 94's usually hang onto more finish.

It hurts the value.
But that one looks just the way I like them. :s0155:

Medic! I agree with you. I personally have a 1920's era 300 Savage. It has been "loved" so much with so many trips out hunting that almost all of the bluing on the receiver is gone. Just showed me how many hands have carried it afield through the years. I love it just the way it is. Continues to be a h*11 of a shooter. ;)

Quick update...My son forwarded to his friend, the old gun's owner, what was found out about his grandpa's rifle. Son said the friend was amazed at what a piece of history he was gifted by his grandpa. Love a happy ending! Wiping away a manly tear ......

Model 1894 DELUXE rifle. typically it would have had a checkered pistol grip and fore stock but could have been ordered without. Is it actually a 30-30? other calibers would be worth more.

these can be quite valuable depending on actual condition.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top