JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've always been less than impressed with word bigots who some how feel the need to not just correct, but apparently denigrate others. Quickly they move to the bottom of the list of folks I want to know, and to the top, of the ones to ignore..
In the spunkier time of my life, I would purposely say things just to taunt them.
One that will get them every time is saying "thigh" when talking about your favorite Thi restaurant. When they can't make you say it right, veins start popping from their necks.

Some folks are a little too uptight about such things. Some misspellings bug me, and especially common punctuation errors (an apostrophe in a plural is my pet peeve), but I try to never be a jerk about it.

I've been told a time or two that my speech betrays my rural upbringing, so I would never mock someone else for the way they talk.

I know this is different from pronunciation issues, but sometimes I will deliberately use the word "clip" in reference to a magazine. Yes, I full-well know the difference; I just think some people get way too worked up about that one. :)

As someone whom Ingrish isn't my firstist language, 'Murican Speech is confusticating as hell, especially, as pointed out earlier, our tongues are used to turning sounds differently, Then add in the mixture of Latin, so, its really screwy! Then you add in all the other languages, such as French, German, Italian, and mix it all around and turn out a bunch of words that really have no basis in actuality, being vulgar hybrids of the "Kings English"

Sock-Oh, as spoken by those who inhabit Finland and work there! Remember, SAKO isn't actually a word, it's an abbreviation!
Another funny one Volvo, Pronounced Vallvo!
Kar- Beign

Some folks are a little too uptight about such things. Some misspellings bug me, and especially common punctuation errors (an apostrophe in a plural is my pet peeve), but I try to never be a jerk about it.

I've been told a time or two that my speech betrays my rural upbringing, so I would never mock someone else for the way they talk.

I know this is different from pronunciation issues, but sometimes I will deliberately use the word "clip" in reference to a magazine. Yes, I full-well know the difference; I just think some people get way too worked up about that one. :)
I'm right there with ya'.

As someone whom Ingrish isn't my firstist language, 'Murican Speech is confusticating as hell, especially, as pointed out earlier, our tongues are used to turning sounds differently, Then add in the mixture of Latin, so, its really screwy! Then you add in all the other languages, such as French, German, Italian, and mix it all around and turn out a bunch of words that really have no basis in actuality, being vulgar hybrids of the "Kings English"

Sock-Oh, as spoken by those who inhabit Finland and work there! Remember, SAKO isn't actually a word, it's an abbreviation!
Another funny one Volvo, Pronounced Vallvo!
Kar- Beign
Now I know that it's pronounced correctly. I used to mix it up with "Vulva" which is a different part of the car altogether.

But also in a lot of cases the mispronunciations have become so widely accepted that if you say it right here, people won't know what you're taking about or will think you're weird and/or pretentious.

This. We know John Garand pronounced his own name with emphasis on the first sylable, not the last. BUT, you say it that way to most gun people in the US, they will think you are the one who is wrong. Popular usage kind of thing.

About that list in the OP. If I'm not mistaken, the name Luger does not have an umlaut over the u. At least Georg Luger didn't put one in.

There are a number of crappy, contemporary American consumer products that have a useless umlaut thrown willy-nilly over a vowel. Thinking it looks cool, I guess.

Carbine vs. carbine. To my ears, CAR-byne is an archaeic pronunciation. When two pronunciations are acceptable per the dictionary, usually one or the other is falling out of use.

Thank you for educating me on the correct pronunciation of Franchi, meplat, and Shilen. If I can just remember those updates and use them, many people will still think I'm wrong because that's how they say themselves say them. Or that I'm being a pretentious turd for talking down.

I take issue with the OP's pronunciation of "Star" as "estar." Where does that come from? An Hispanic trying to say star in English?? The Spanish word for star is estrella. The Basque word for star is izarra. The English word/name Star on a pistol was for commercial export purposes. The actual name of the company that made Star was Echevarria.

I take issue with the OP's pronunciation of "Star" as "estar." Where does that come from? An Hispanic trying to say star in English?? The Spanish word for star is estrella. The Basque word for star is izarra. The English word/name Star on a pistol was for commercial export purposes. The actual name of the company that made Star was Echevarria.

Actually, where I come from ( Karhkiv, Ukraine), the "E" is used to denote things like prestige, wealth, power, or influence, and MOSTLY to denote Royalty or royal title, it's used as a foundation of introduction instead of the title, unless your a very big and powerful person, then the full weight of title is used, as in a persons Title/Name! We see that today especially in traditional Female Names, E-Katrina, E-Tatinia E-Marina, E-ludmillia, E-Kristiana, E-Svetlana, E-Kathrine, E-Tanushia...... Some ways are still better, some not so much, Many have been shortened, Kathrin, Elana, Illinna, Tanya, ect! Imagine going through life being addressed by your full name and title! I know in several areas of Spain that are more Orthodox have chosen to follow those old ways, and suspect that is why you find it used as title for "STAR" in pronunciation

Still gonna say "hops" and don't care if that's "wrong." This reminds me so much of annoying 4th generation Italians who've never been to Italy but have to pronounce foods like they just got back from Rome. Twats.

Actually, where I come from ( Karhkiv, Ukraine), the "E" is used to denote things like prestige, wealth, power, or influence, and MOSTLY to denote Royalty or royal title, it's used as a foundation of introduction instead of the title, unless your a very big and powerful person, then the full weight of title is used, as in a persons Title/Name! We see that today especially in traditional Female Names, E-Katrina, E-Tatinia E-Marina, E-ludmillia, E-Kristiana, E-Svetlana, E-Kathrine, E-Tanushia...... Some ways are still better, some not so much, Many have been shortened, Kathrin, Elana, Illinna, Tanya, ect! Imagine going through life being addressed by your full name and title! I know in several areas of Spain that are more Orthodox have chosen to follow those old ways, and suspect that is why you find it used as title for "STAR" in pronunciation
You have inadvertently stumbled onto one of my pet peeves, on this site. Internet "experts." Before I take anyone's advice, I want to properly vet them. Because of the anonominity

You have inadvertently stumbled onto one of my pet peeves on these forums and that is internet "experts." Before accepting anyone's "advice" or direction, I would want to properly vet them. That's not practical in this venue. I have stated that I'm a retired Mechanical Engineer, deputy sheriff and former WDFW employee. All these are easily provable, but it's unlikely that anyone would truly need my "expert" advice on anything (except for interpretive dance.) However, I'm more than willing to offer my opinions on a variety of subjects. I really get peeved when some anonymous expert jumps into a subject to tell me how wrong I am. It's a total lack of manners and is usually just a blowhard trying to "make his bones" in a particular forum thread.

Whoa there Gunny, I think you misinterpreted what I posted as "Expert" advice, or knowledge. I was simply offering a plausible 'Splain for the WHY something is Spelt or pronounced a certain way, based on WEAR in the world it comes from, based on how things are where I come from!
Up until the Mid 90's I wouldn't dare even speak of where my family comes from, or of my heritage, today, we celebrate a freedom many here would never understand, despite the fact many of my family have been here since the founding of this great nation, Guilty by association writ large!

As far as pet peeves go, I hate Spellin and Grammar Nazis, the world ain't perfect, nether is man, and those who would point out the flaws in others must have a very small ( Penis) er,......self esteem to feel compelled to belittle others in order to prop themselves up to feel good about being them!

It's the Internet, don't take it so serious!

Scotch is the drink. Scottish is the name of the people and of the accent. Mind you, Americans, alone in the world AFAIK, say things like 'a Belgium shotgun' when the correct adjective is BelgiAN.
People do that? Monsters.

That isn't something I have run across and would get a twitchy eye hearing.

Whoa there Gunny, I think you misinterpreted what I posted as "Expert" advice, or knowledge. I was simply offering a plausible 'Splain for the WHY something is Spelt or pronounced a certain way, based on WEAR in the world it comes from, based on how things are where I come from!
Up until the Mid 90's I wouldn't dare even speak of where my family comes from, or of my heritage, today, we celebrate a freedom many here would never understand, despite the fact many of my family have been here since the founding of this great nation, Guilty by association writ large!

As far as pet peeves go, I hate Spellin and Grammar Nazis, the world ain't perfect, nether is man, and those who would point out the flaws in others must have a very small ( Penis) er,......self esteem to feel compelled to belittle others in order to prop themselves up to feel good about being them!

It's the Internet, don't take it so serious!
No sir! This wasn't about you! I was making a general statement about one of my pet peeves that includes the "anonymous experts" who show up without any Bona Fides and then tell me (or others) how wrong I am. I humble beg you forgiveness if you thought that my comment was directed at you in any way. It wasn't. We are planning a trip to Ukraine. My friend Vladimir has encouraged us to go. He and his family arrived here in the '90's. I think that most Americans understand that folks fro Ukraine and many other eastern countries came here for religious freedom and to enjoy the opportunities available in the land of the free. I am a first generation American from my mother's side of the family. We are a nation of immigrants.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top