JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Carbine is usually pronounced Car-bean

And according to the Man it is Guyz-lee

That's the way I've been saying it for several decades. When I first got mine, in the mid '80s, I made the mistake of pronouncing it with the long I like "carbide", and was quickly corrected by my WWII veteran grandfather.

Come to find out though, the other pronunciation is OK too; lots of people say it that way. Oh well, to each their own.

The only thing that's really wrong is the assertion that there's definitively only one way to correctly pronounce it.

The entry for Mannlicher is actually really incorrect.

But also in a lot of cases the mispronunciations have become so widely accepted that if you say it right here, people won't know what you're taking about or will think you're weird and/or pretentious. Go into a gun shop and ask about a "Val-tuh" instead of a "Wall-thur" and see if they even know what you mean.

In any case some additional examples:

It's CAR-ca-no, not car-CA-no.
mock-AR-ov not MACK-er-ov.
MO-seen, not MOZE-in.

Last Edited:
it is pronounced egregious. By the way, no. I've never actually met Pizarro but i love his pies. And all of this pales to utter insignificance in light of the fact that my ship is once again gone.

Scotch is the drink. Scottish is the name of the people and of the accent. Mind you, Americans, alone in the world AFAIK, say things like 'a Belgium shotgun' when the correct adjective is BelgiAN.

Just one of thing tomAHto/tomAYto things, I jalouse*. ;)

* That's pure Scots [the Lollans form of English spoken in Scotland, and it means, as you surmise, 'surmise'.]

Since this has a healthy participation rate, a VERY few might be the least interested as to what this discussion is actually about.

It is the age-old debate of the Descriptive Theory of Language vs. the Prescriptive Theory.

In other words, "How people actually talk" vs. "How people 'should' talk". Descriptive Linguists are the "easy going" crowd. Prescriptive Linguists are the "hard-arses".

"Following the rules" (Prescriptive) can extend not only to sentence construction, definitions, verb/noun placement and syntax, but pronunciation itself. "Telling it how it is" (Descriptive) gets bad press because the Prescriptive guys say the linguists themselves are somehow contributing to the "decay" of language.

Best method may lie somewhere between. (see the "gunshop vs. Walther" scenario above: in that setting Prescriptive pronunciation results in no communication).

Let the supposed "knowledgeable" amongst us utilize "Say-Koe", instead of the "correct" vocalization that is a homophone to a punching bag toy that looks like Bozo.

Because if they do, we all know what they are talking about.

Oh, and by the way, "Mannlicher" correctly pronounced is "Mahn Lee (cough up a loogie here and you achieve the "ch") Air"

Last Edited:
Since this has a healthy participation rate, a VERY few might be the least interested as to what this discussion is actually about.

It is the age-old debate of the Descriptive Theory of Language vs. the Prescriptive Theory.

In other words, "How people actually talk" vs. "How people 'should' talk". Descriptive Linguists are the "easy going" crowd. Prescriptive Linguists are the "hard-arses".

"Following the rules" (Prescriptive) can extend not only to sentence construction, definitions, verb/noun placement and syntax, but pronunciation itself. "Telling it how it is" (Descriptive) gets bad press because the Prescriptive guys say the linguists themselves are somehow contributing to the "decay" of language.

Best method may lie somewhere between. (see the "gunshop vs. Walther" scenario above: in that setting Prescriptive pronunciation results in no communication).

Let the supposed "knowledgeable" amongst us utilize "Say-Koe", instead of the "correct" vocalization that is a homophone to a punching bag toy that looks like Bozo.

Because if they do, we all know what they are talking about.

Oh, and by the way, "Mannlicher" correctly pronounced is "Mahn Lee (cough up a loogie here and you achieve the "ch") Air"

Was waiting for someone who has at least had a linguistics class or more to come in here and say this, and you certainly explained it more patiently than I would have. Good post.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top