JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
2 Eagles found shot in OR!!!!!! If I were you guys down there in Oregon I would try to find out who these guys are!

<broken link removed>

Use the link for full story
2 eagles die in Oregon, victims of gunshots
One bird died and the other had to be euthanized.

Authorities are trying to track down the person or persons who shot two eagles in Eastern Oregon in recent weeks.

By The Associated Press
Map data ©2008 Tele Atlas - Terms of Use

See more mapped stories

PENDLETON, Ore. — The first eagle was found in the snow, its wings spread far and wide, feathers scattered about its body.

Jennifer Merritt and her boyfriend T.O. Farwell saw the bird, just off the side of the road, while they were driving from Heppner to Pendleton last week. "He was shot pretty bad," Merritt said.

Farwell scooped up the broken raptor into the car and took it to Lynn Tompkins at the Blue Mountain Wildlife rehabilitation center in Pendleton.

Somebody, Tompkins figures, shot the bird with a high-powered rifle, most likely while it was perching.

She did what she could for it, but the eagle died that night.

"The bullet had basically destroyed one knee joint and grazed the side and hit the wing between the wrist and elbow," she said. "The bird was never going to fly again."

That same day there was report of another eagle. Tompkins asked a state biologist to find it the following day.

When the biologist returned, Tompkins found herself dealing with a second rifle shot. "I thought that bird had been hit by a car when I first got it."

Tompkins unwound the raptor's shattered and frozen wing. She found a hole in its fragile body; two and a half inches of bone had been stolen by the bullet. Tompkins euthanized the eagle.

Chances are the bonehead that is stupid enough to shoot an eagle (or two) probably WILL brag about it. Hopefully his "buddies" have enough guts to report it. :(

Living out here in the desert we have some real big Red Tail hawks that look like Golden Eagles. I just hope someone made a bad mistake and the word gets out about eagles being shoot and it stops the idiot. Maybe he might brag and he can be caught. Bill

Wow, sad deal. Incidents like these definitely don't help the cause. It takes a real loser to not only shoot a protected species, but our National bird?!
I enjoy watching them swoop down into my duck decoys to pick up a freshly downed duck. Happens a few times a year where I hunt on the Columbia. Awesome sight! My pride in my country would never allow me to harm one.

I agree with all the aforementioned posts - I live in South Central Oregon near several lakes and the Deschutes River and see Eagles daily - including a few Goldens that are now in the area. I can only imagine what else this idiot has shot at.........

I'm a 59 year old Native Oregonian. It still amazes me that there still are these 3 toothed, egg sucking, mutton punchers running around, that think they have a right to do this sort of thing.

A few years ago the Game Commission found 5 cow elk slaughtered in the Tioga unit. Just shot, and left.

The Chinook tribe had an appropriate punishment. Strip them naked, whip them with Black berry vines and leave them in a marsh for the mosquitos. If they survived, they were banished to live on their own, or killed on sight. I like the latter...but then I'm just an equal justice kind of guy.

Exactly!!!! If he's doing this god knows what else he's up to :(

I agree with all the aforementioned posts - I live in South Central Oregon near several lakes and the Deschutes River and see Eagles daily - including a few Goldens that are now in the area. I can only imagine what else this idiot has shot at.........

Back in the day when I lived in Alaska, a couple hunting guides were caught taking some Asians on Bald Eagle hunts. These were fly-in hunting guides.

They lost 3 $2million float planes, loads of great hunting equipment, lots of firearms, and the men each went to jail for several years on Federal charges.

The case made a lot of news and no-one has dared try it since.

Fish & Wildlife got 3 extra really nice planes free that year.

The eagle holds a big place in the hearts of Americans. These folks will either get caught before they realize that, or they will realize that and I would assume start feeling pretty sick about what they did. I can still hope for another "Alaska"-sized catch. :)

5 cow elk in Tioga? There are a lot of underemployed around there that could've made use of that meat. Unfortunately, whoever pulled that stunt likely isn't much better off, just stupider, or intended on coming back later but never did. I can sympathize with those that subsistence hunt, but they rarely waste anything. Even if they were like those Alaskan morons, it still never makes up for the loss. It can take years to gain back those animals the way the survival rate runs.

I hunted 7 seasons in the old Tioga, Elliot S.F. and Weyerhauser. Beautiful area, kinda tough to hunt a lot of it.

Yeah, I don't recall exactly how long ago it happened. A friend of mine who was a Lane Co. Deputy (now retired) was working marine patrol at the time told me about it, and said that the Game Commission was thinking of closing Tioga down for a couple of years after it happened. I don't believe that they ever did. He said that all of the cows that were found were within view of a road.

It is some rough country. You work for what you get, most of the time.

I have doubts that the shooter is a seasoned hunter.

I like how the story identifies the weapon used as a "high-powered rifle". I'm curious to see the ballistics report.

I'm a 59 year old Native Oregonian. It still amazes me that there still are these 3 toothed, egg sucking, mutton punchers running around, that think they have a right to do this sort of thing.

A few years ago the Game Commission found 5 cow elk slaughtered in the Tioga unit. Just shot, and left.

The Chinook tribe had an appropriate punishment. Strip them naked, whip them with Black berry vines and leave them in a marsh for the mosquitos. If they survived, they were banished to live on their own, or killed on sight. I like the latter...but then I'm just an equal justice kind of guy.

Now thats the kind of justice I'm talking about. Those guys or gals= pathetic Idiots!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top