JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Nice, thanks for the clarification.

I knew Abbot had been pissing people off, I used to watch Mark Ripatoe Starting Strength podcast, and he would constantly tear into Abbot.

Good to hear another perspective on it.

Are you in Washington? I asked my ffl today of different checks were ran by different agencies, he told me, here in Oregon their all done by the state police who run it through the NICS system. And that's why it'll be a month before I get my shotgun.

Also just found out that having a CCL puts you to the front of the QUE.

I just scheduled my CCL appointment, earlier this week but its not till may.

🤨 hate all this red tape BS, I have plenty of other guns, so its not like I'm completely without...... but what of I was a woman getting out of an abusive relationship, and was scared of being injured or killed?

I guess in that scenario they can bury domestic violence victims with their gun that they recieved a month and a half after they were beat to death. 🤬🤬

But hey at least Kate Doo-Doo brown is solving gun violence ☹😤
Yes WA. The big problem here is for a LONG time the Fed's were "assisting" WA. The Feds had long told WA they needed to set up their own system, like other states have. OR is a good example. Well since gun owners in WA kept yawning and voting the same anti gun people back in nothing was done. Finally the Feds said they were done. After that we could no longer just show our permit and walk out with a handgun. So the buyer now still has to get the nod from the Feds, then the buyer has to wait for the state if they are buying a handgun or an "assault rifle".

Nice, thanks for the clarification.

I knew Abbot had been pissing people off, I used to watch Mark Ripatoe Starting Strength podcast, and he would constantly tear into Abbot.

Good to hear another perspective on it.
Yeah, there are still a lot of angry folks who have outright said if he's the general candidate, they're abstaining or voting libertarian this go-round. His EO's wound up putting people out of business or out of work and causing them to loose a lot - similar to many governors around the country. Hell, while he allowed most of Texas to open back up - the very last industry he allowed back to business as usual was - wait for it - white water rafting guides. There isn't a whole hell of a lot of white water rafting to be done in Texas - a handful of rivers compared to almost any other state west of us, or a lot of those north and east. If you were a guide on one of those waters - your livelihood was gone for months with no recourse.

Bar owners, as well, took a big hit. A lot had to completely revamp their business model and become restaurants just to be able to serve customers.

There are a lot of moves he made that have left a lot of Texans wanting to replace him. There are a lot of moves he's made that people are forgiving him for - and he's pandered, but half heartedly on some issues.

For the pro-life crowd, he championed the "Heart Beat Bill" - but it is a largely symbolic bill with *no* criminal penalties, and the only enforcement mechanism is civil lawsuits brought by private individuals who would need access to a patients medical information, as well as the staff information from the hospital or clinic performing the procedure. While its possible for someone to bring a lawsuit allowed by the bill - the likelihood of a successful suit being filed by a non-involved third party is minimal. Buuuuuuuuut the media would have you believe otherwise - they want to say its a war on women, blah blah blah. Its a do-nothing feel-good bill in reality.

Abbott also made an EO banning businesses here from firing employees who refuse the Faucci Ouchey, but has yet to enforce it against businesses doing just that. He also made a half hearted call for the legislature in his EO to take the issue up and make it a law - but his EO came as they were already finishing up a special session, and he refuses to call them back to special session to specifically address the bill, saying his EO is good enough. Its not good enough when he refuses to enforce it - so it comes back to nothing more than political pandering and grand standing.

Personally, I will be voting for Allen West in the primary. The two top challengers to Abbott are Allen West and Don Huffines. Huffines is a goddamned used car salesman (red flag one) who is championing to eliminate the property tax in Texas. That sounds good and all - until you examine Texas' taxation schemes. Currently it is prohibited by Texas state constitution to have a personal income tax. If you eliminate the property tax - which is where counties and cities get most of their funding - then we only have two options: Implement a personal income tax, or double the sales tax.

The current median property tax in the state of Texas is roughly $2700 per year. The average sales tax in the state is 8.25% - some counties/cities tack on a bit more, but in the four counties in the Houston area that I've done business in (Montgomery, where I live - Harris, where Houston is, Fort Bend down by Katy, and Waller, which is just down the road to the west from me) its 8.25%. If we eliminate property taxes and go to an income tax, I have no doubt that the state would set it at something like 8.5 to 10% minimum, maybe even bumping to 15% on the top end if they do a graduated tax scheme. That would stifle growth severely.

The pitch to eliminate property tax is "you never truly own your property if you have to pay a tax on it" - which has some truth to it, but there is not a single state in the nation that does not have property tax. And there is *nothing* to stop the bastards from implementing a property tax in again after they get a personal income tax passed - then POOF - Texas has California level confiscatory taxation schemes, and it would suffer from much the same problems that currently plague California.

IF - big IF - Greg Abbott makes it to the general, I personally will vote for him, not so much because I love him or what he's done (don't get me wrong, he's leaps and bounds above Kate Brown, a feat for a man that cannot walk!) but because its a vote against the democrats, who, as yet do not have any announced candidates. Francis "Beto" O'Rourke has made murmurs of running, and its been rumored that "The Actor" as most folks I know refer to him, Matthew McConaughey will run on the dem ticket.

Abbott would face serious challenge and a close margin, if it turns out to be McConaughey because a lot of "low information voters" as Rush used to say would vote for him because of his acting. It doesn't help that Texas is the number one destination for people fleeing California right now, either.

I think Beto would lose handily to Abbott, because Beto is a clown and an idiot. His close margin loss to Cruze for the Senate is as much because of lazy voter turn out by conservatives as it was Beta's ability to trump up voters. I don't think they'll make the same mistake again if Beta-Beto is anywhere on the ticket, but I could be wrong.

Yeah, there are still a lot of angry folks who have outright said if he's the general candidate, they're abstaining or voting libertarian this go-round. His EO's wound up putting people out of business or out of work and causing them to loose a lot - similar to many governors around the country. Hell, while he allowed most of Texas to open back up - the very last industry he allowed back to business as usual was - wait for it - white water rafting guides. There isn't a whole hell of a lot of white water rafting to be done in Texas - a handful of rivers compared to almost any other state west of us, or a lot of those north and east. If you were a guide on one of those waters - your livelihood was gone for months with no recourse.

Bar owners, as well, took a big hit. A lot had to completely revamp their business model and become restaurants just to be able to serve customers.

There are a lot of moves he made that have left a lot of Texans wanting to replace him. There are a lot of moves he's made that people are forgiving him for - and he's pandered, but half heartedly on some issues.

For the pro-life crowd, he championed the "Heart Beat Bill" - but it is a largely symbolic bill with *no* criminal penalties, and the only enforcement mechanism is civil lawsuits brought by private individuals who would need access to a patients medical information, as well as the staff information from the hospital or clinic performing the procedure. While its possible for someone to bring a lawsuit allowed by the bill - the likelihood of a successful suit being filed by a non-involved third party is minimal. Buuuuuuuuut the media would have you believe otherwise - they want to say its a war on women, blah blah blah. Its a do-nothing feel-good bill in reality.

Abbott also made an EO banning businesses here from firing employees who refuse the Faucci Ouchey, but has yet to enforce it against businesses doing just that. He also made a half hearted call for the legislature in his EO to take the issue up and make it a law - but his EO came as they were already finishing up a special session, and he refuses to call them back to special session to specifically address the bill, saying his EO is good enough. Its not good enough when he refuses to enforce it - so it comes back to nothing more than political pandering and grand standing.

Personally, I will be voting for Allen West in the primary. The two top challengers to Abbott are Allen West and Don Huffines. Huffines is a goddamned used car salesman (red flag one) who is championing to eliminate the property tax in Texas. That sounds good and all - until you examine Texas' taxation schemes. Currently it is prohibited by Texas state constitution to have a personal income tax. If you eliminate the property tax - which is where counties and cities get most of their funding - then we only have two options: Implement a personal income tax, or double the sales tax.

The current median property tax in the state of Texas is roughly $2700 per year. The average sales tax in the state is 8.25% - some counties/cities tack on a bit more, but in the four counties in the Houston area that I've done business in (Montgomery, where I live - Harris, where Houston is, Fort Bend down by Katy, and Waller, which is just down the road to the west from me) its 8.25%. If we eliminate property taxes and go to an income tax, I have no doubt that the state would set it at something like 8.5 to 10% minimum, maybe even bumping to 15% on the top end if they do a graduated tax scheme. That would stifle growth severely.

The pitch to eliminate property tax is "you never truly own your property if you have to pay a tax on it" - which has some truth to it, but there is not a single state in the nation that does not have property tax. And there is *nothing* to stop the bastards from implementing a property tax in again after they get a personal income tax passed - then POOF - Texas has California level confiscatory taxation schemes, and it would suffer from much the same problems that currently plague California.

IF - big IF - Greg Abbott makes it to the general, I personally will vote for him, not so much because I love him or what he's done (don't get me wrong, he's leaps and bounds above Kate Brown, a feat for a man that cannot walk!) but because its a vote against the democrats, who, as yet do not have any announced candidates. Francis "Beto" O'Rourke has made murmurs of running, and its been rumored that "The Actor" as most folks I know refer to him, Matthew McConaughey will run on the dem ticket.

Abbott would face serious challenge and a close margin, if it turns out to be McConaughey because a lot of "low information voters" as Rush used to say would vote for him because of his acting. It doesn't help that Texas is the number one destination for people fleeing California right now, either.

I think Beto would lose handily to Abbott, because Beto is a clown and an idiot. His close margin loss to Cruze for the Senate is as much because of lazy voter turn out by conservatives as it was Beta's ability to trump up voters. I don't think they'll make the same mistake again if Beta-Beto is anywhere on the ticket, but I could be wrong.
Pretty sure Abbot tried to keep the gyms closed, even after the bars opened too, but like you said at least he's not Kate "doo doo" Brown

Glad you mentioned the "Beta" at the end. Because that's exactly what I was thinking about reading the rest of your post.

Would be a bummer to see a low turn out, and a huge divide because of right voters being angry with abbot.

I don't even live in Texas, but whole heartedly believe that a dem governor in Texas right now would negatively impact all of us.

I wasn't aware of " the actor" but seeing how Arnold did in CA id say Mcoughnah probably wouldn't be any better.

Blinders weren't on, but I don't regret it one bit. ('88 W. German Sig P226 in very lightly used condition)

20211020_174226.jpg

Pretty sure Abbot tried to keep the gyms closed, even after the bars opened too, but like you said at least he's not Kate "doo doo" Brown

Glad you mentioned the "Beta" at the end. Because that's exactly what I was thinking about reading the rest of your post.

Would be a bummer to see a low turn out, and a huge divide because of right voters being angry with abbot.

I don't even live in Texas, but whole heartedly believe that a dem governor in Texas right now would negatively impact all of us.

I wasn't aware of " the actor" but seeing how Arnold did in CA id say Mcoughnah probably wouldn't be any better.
People here on the right are very testy about "the last celebrity we elected to high office" - that being our Lieutenant Governor, Dan Patrick. Patrick was a talk show host (not to be confused with, I think, the sports-ball talk show host of the same name) before being elected.

Dan Patrick has been accused of killing the constitutional carry bill a couple times before, as well as killing other bills he personally didn't like, and he has said some stupid stuff. He's also said some smart stuff. I'm rather neutral on him - but I've only lived here a year.

I think 2022 is going to be the year of "Local elections matter" far more than any other. School boards across the country - and Texas hasn't been immune - have gone off the deep end with stuff like CRT, questionable field trips, threatening parents and calling them terrorists for wanting to know what the schools are teaching... plus county commissions, city government - these agencies have a far greater impact on your day to day than the state governor or legislature, or the nonsense in DC.

I'm really happy over all with our county government - last year they for voted a no-increase budget. They haven't gone COVID crazy, our county judge (weird way gov't is structured, the leader of the county is called a judge, but they're not bench-sitting judges who preside over criminal or civil cases) opposed much of the nonsense Abbott pushed thru EO ala masking / distancing / shut downs. Our sheriff likewise said his deputies were NOT going to be dealing with Mask-Nazi nonsense. We have a pretty good county government in Montgomery County. The county commissioners, likewise, chair the individual precincts, so they oversee the operation of their precincts public works, for example. They don't have direct oversight of the Constables - because Constables, like the sheriff are also elected and appoint deputies. If you have a complaint about a county agency or a county owned road, a call to *your* county commissioner's office is usually the place to start.

People here on the right are very testy about "the last celebrity we elected to high office" - that being our Lieutenant Governor, Dan Patrick. Patrick was a talk show host (not to be confused with, I think, the sports-ball talk show host of the same name) before being elected.

Dan Patrick has been accused of killing the constitutional carry bill a couple times before, as well as killing other bills he personally didn't like, and he has said some stupid stuff. He's also said some smart stuff. I'm rather neutral on him - but I've only lived here a year.

I think 2022 is going to be the year of "Local elections matter" far more than any other. School boards across the country - and Texas hasn't been immune - have gone off the deep end with stuff like CRT, questionable field trips, threatening parents and calling them terrorists for wanting to know what the schools are teaching... plus county commissions, city government - these agencies have a far greater impact on your day to day than the state governor or legislature, or the nonsense in DC.

I'm really happy over all with our county government - last year they for voted a no-increase budget. They haven't gone COVID crazy, our county judge (weird way gov't is structured, the leader of the county is called a judge, but they're not bench-sitting judges who preside over criminal or civil cases) opposed much of the nonsense Abbott pushed thru EO ala masking / distancing / shut downs. Our sheriff likewise said his deputies were NOT going to be dealing with Mask-Nazi nonsense. We have a pretty good county government in Montgomery County. The county commissioners, likewise, chair the individual precincts, so they oversee the operation of their precincts public works, for example. They don't have direct oversight of the Constables - because Constables, like the sheriff are also elected and appoint deputies. If you have a complaint about a county agency or a county owned road, a call to *your* county commissioner's office is usually the place to start.
Good to see you coming back from time to time. Helps us know better what's going on somewhere else in the country. NOT coming from the CRAP MSM. Thanks!

Good to see you coming back from time to time. Helps us know better what's going on somewhere else in the country. NOT coming from the CRAP MSM. Thanks!
Gotta keep up with what's going on in commie occupied territory, and keep the flow of info going to those behind enemy lines, right?

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top