JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I had the same happen to me once. The animal was definitely down, until I got near, on the ready with my steely knife, about to take care of the jugular.
Like to scare the heck out of me when all of a sudden it was up and moving. I'd just grabbed the horns and began to kneel when the situation erupted.

Since that instance, I took things a bit slower.

I was hunting with a buddy of mine a few seasons ago, he shot a deer cleanly - so we thought. We let it lay for maybe 10 - 15 minutes in case another legal deer came that I can shoot, but instead, a coyote came on the creep up. As it approached the deer and bite its hind leg, the deer sprang to its feet and began to charge the coyote. This was the strangest thing we have ever experienced in the field! I thought for a moment that this was the "zombie deer" that articles were talking about. The deer did not chase the coyote off for a long stretch, it went to the water hole and then my buddy put two more rounds in him before he finally died. He was a big bodied 8 pointer with somewhat short tines but a wide spread. Good thing I told him to wait one - who knows.

Muzzleloader or not, always be ready to shoot again in case the critter starts kicking. Deer, ducks, etc..

As for the pistol, in Oregon, you can legally carry one on any hunt. You just can't shoot the deer with it on a muzzleloader hunt, finishing shot or not. That being said, if it was use the pistol or get stuck, the pistol would be preferable.

With a little practice, you can reload pretty quickly out of the pouch.

Maybe I'm not a good person but I find the irony funny. Too bad the guy didn't make it though.

Good reminder not to get complacent with nature.

I won't go into the woods without a pistol, hunting season or not.

Always re-load before approaching downed game...no matter what firearm is used.
Learn to load and shoot while using a shooting pouch ...there is no need to carry a tackle box full of gear and gadgets when hunting and there are no benches in the hunting fields.

As for carrying a modern pistol during muzzleloading season...
Here in Washington , you can do so...but the pistol may not be used to dispatch game.
Andy

Weren't the bayonets of yesterday several feet long? That's a spear. I'd feel pretty safe with one of those on my rifle

Weren't the bayonets of yesterday several feet long? That's a spear. I'd feel pretty safe with one of those on my rifle
Many rifles of the 18th -19th centuries were not able to take a bayonet....Muskets , rifled muskets and some , as in a few , military rifles could take a bayonet...Most rifles of the time military or not did not take a bayonet.
Andy

I have a friend that did a recent ML hunt.

His backup was a BL revolver.

Took him shooting the following weekend - the excuse was he needed to empty the backup.:p

Assuming it's in Oregon, he can carry it, but he still can't shoot the deer with it.

During muzzleloader only seasons and
600 series hunts where there is a weapon restriction of shotgun/muzzleloader only or archery/muzzleloader only:
It is unlawful to:
• Use scopes or sights that use batteries, artificial light or energy except for visually impaired hunters with a permit (see
page 23). Open and peep sights are legal, including open and peep sights with fiber optics or fluorescent paint on them.
• Hunt with or have in possession while hunting, sabots or bullets with plastic or synthetic parts. Cloth, paper or felt patches are allowed.
• Hunt with centerfire primers as an ignition sources; the muzzleloader must have an open ignition. See definition on page 87.
• Hunt with pelletized powders or propellants. Granular (loose) black powder and black powder substitutes are the only legal propellants.
• Hunt with a revolving action muzzleloader.

My friend has forgotten more regs than I will ever know. He is well aware of that fact.
You post could be taken to mean the percussion revolver could be used to finish off a deer ( I.e, backup the rifle after shooting a deer). While I'm sure your friend is well versed in the regulations, many on here are not, so I simply clarified.

Last Edited:
As we teach in hunters ed. First step. Make sure the Animal is dead.
Make sure the animal is dead.
Are the eyes open. Check.
What about the tongue? check
Approach from behind, back side and poke or kick.
Make sure the animal is dead. unfortunate but that hunter forgot safety rule number one.

Did that one time. I shot a BIG Muley 2 point Buck which dropped like he got hit with a sledge hammer while Blackpowder huntin back in the 80s. Walked up after lookin at him a few minutes and laid the rifle down when I got to him. It was starting to get dark too.
Reached down and got a hold of his antlers and the show was on. The deer and me went azz over tea kettle down the mountain side quite a ways, but the Deer found out I wasn't an easy win, and I didn't let go.
Finally got him bulldoged and tossed him down, put one foot on his left antler while holding his right antler down with my left hand while kneeling on his neck while pulling out my knife with right hand, and proceeded to cut his throat.
My buddy yelled down the hillside asking " you got him killed yet"? I said " I don't know, but Ive about got the head cut clear off the sob." I yelled back to him shoutin " that's why they call it primitive huntin, ya gotta tag em before ya killem"!:p Done that about 3 times in my life. I'm not affeared" :p:D

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads