JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
at least reloads I did not make myself...

Went shooting today and every thing was going fine until I switch over to reloads... eventually I got a stove pipe and when I went to clear the chamber I found the bottom half of the case jamming things up. The front half was still stuck in the chamber which I was able to remove using a rod and cleaning patch.

Judging by the primer bulging out, I assume this was a over charged round?

The rounds came from a local high volume reloader...

Doesnt look that over pressure by the primer. This kind of case failure is usually due to the case being reloaded to many times. I have has this happen in mine and that is why I limit each case to 4 times now then scrap. You can usually see a slight ghost ring in this area on the loaded round. You might want to visually inspect the the rest of the rounds if you have any.

I had the same exact thing happen to me once. I had a box of 50 reloads a friend gave me, and on the 30th round the case broke and wouldn't eject. I still have the remaining twenty rounds if anyone wants them........:s0131:

Looks like a case that was reloaded one too many times as was mentioned above. The primer looks fine. I would bet at one time that case was fired out of a machine gun with a sloppy chamber that allowed the brass to stretch.

i still have an FA 17 that's Frankford arsenal 1917 30 06 shell that i have reloaded at least 20 times.
The only time I have seen a cartridge like that happen was when I tried reloading some shells
that looked like They had burs or gash's on the side of the case and that's why I will inspect each case I load looking for burs gouge etc and will not reload them also the head stamp looks new 2004?
Looking at the inside looks like a bad case to begin with maybe?

I won't pick up brass I don't know anything about either. I buy only once fired matched range or military brass. Loads are more consistent with matched brass, and I know what it is for safety.

Considering I'm going to load it a few times, the cost per round really isn't much.

take a look in the front of some or the reloading manuals they explain what that is
and show pics of what a case looks like befor it happens.It is caused by to many
reloads..(over worked case)

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads