JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
at least reloads I did not make myself...

Went shooting today and every thing was going fine until I switch over to reloads... eventually I got a stove pipe and when I went to clear the chamber I found the bottom half of the case jamming things up. The front half was still stuck in the chamber which I was able to remove using a rod and cleaning patch.

Judging by the primer bulging out, I assume this was a over charged round?

The rounds came from a local high volume reloader...

Doesnt look that over pressure by the primer. This kind of case failure is usually due to the case being reloaded to many times. I have has this happen in mine and that is why I limit each case to 4 times now then scrap. You can usually see a slight ghost ring in this area on the loaded round. You might want to visually inspect the the rest of the rounds if you have any.

I had the same exact thing happen to me once. I had a box of 50 reloads a friend gave me, and on the 30th round the case broke and wouldn't eject. I still have the remaining twenty rounds if anyone wants them........:s0131:

Looks like a case that was reloaded one too many times as was mentioned above. The primer looks fine. I would bet at one time that case was fired out of a machine gun with a sloppy chamber that allowed the brass to stretch.

i still have an FA 17 that's Frankford arsenal 1917 30 06 shell that i have reloaded at least 20 times.
The only time I have seen a cartridge like that happen was when I tried reloading some shells
that looked like They had burs or gash's on the side of the case and that's why I will inspect each case I load looking for burs gouge etc and will not reload them also the head stamp looks new 2004?
Looking at the inside looks like a bad case to begin with maybe?

I won't pick up brass I don't know anything about either. I buy only once fired matched range or military brass. Loads are more consistent with matched brass, and I know what it is for safety.

Considering I'm going to load it a few times, the cost per round really isn't much.

take a look in the front of some or the reloading manuals they explain what that is
and show pics of what a case looks like befor it happens.It is caused by to many
reloads..(over worked case)

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top