Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

this is why I will no longer shoot reloads

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Bam, Nov 14, 2010.

1. Bam

Bam Portland Member

at least reloads I did not make myself...

Went shooting today and every thing was going fine until I switch over to reloads... eventually I got a stove pipe and when I went to clear the chamber I found the bottom half of the case jamming things up. The front half was still stuck in the chamber which I was able to remove using a rod and cleaning patch.

Judging by the primer bulging out, I assume this was a over charged round?

The rounds came from a local high volume reloader...

2. dmancornell

dmancornell Portland, OR New Member

Who's the vendor?

3. bmgm37

bmgm37 Coos Bay Active Member

Doesnt look that over pressure by the primer. This kind of case failure is usually due to the case being reloaded to many times. I have has this happen in mine and that is why I limit each case to 4 times now then scrap. You can usually see a slight ghost ring in this area on the loaded round. You might want to visually inspect the the rest of the rounds if you have any.

4. Spray-n-pray

Spray-n-pray Battle Ground Moderator Staff Member

I had the same exact thing happen to me once. I had a box of 50 reloads a friend gave me, and on the 30th round the case broke and wouldn't eject. I still have the remaining twenty rounds if anyone wants them........:paranoid:

5. Skang

Skang WA Well-Known Member

My rule is don't buy reload, unless i make my own.

I only buy factory ammo.

6. snew

snew Hillsboro, OR Active Member

That doesn't look overpressure.

7. the4thshake

the4thshake Portland Active Member

Looks like a case that was reloaded one too many times as was mentioned above. The primer looks fine. I would bet at one time that case was fired out of a machine gun with a sloppy chamber that allowed the brass to stretch.

8. Bam

Bam Portland Member

Normally I wouldn't have bought reloads, but I bought these at the peak the ammo shortage.

The more you know...

9. saxon

saxon springfield Active Member

i still have an FA 17 that’s Frankford arsenal 1917 30 06 shell that i have reloaded at least 20 times.
    The only time I have seen a cartridge like that happen was when I tried reloading some shells
    that looked like They had burs or gash’s on the side of the case and that’s why I will inspect each case I load looking for burs gouge etc and will not reload them also the head stamp looks new 2004?
    Looking at the inside looks like a bad case to begin with maybe?

10. Gunner3456

Gunner3456 Salem Well-Known Member

Count me among those who blame the case, for whatever reason.

11. Redcap

Redcap Lewis County, WA Well-Known Member

Solution? Don't shoot someone else's reloads. Buy factory or reload yourself.

12. Gunner3456

Gunner3456 Salem Well-Known Member

I won't pick up brass I don't know anything about either. I buy only once fired matched range or military brass. Loads are more consistent with matched brass, and I know what it is for safety.

Considering I'm going to load it a few times, the cost per round really isn't much.

13. pokerace

pokerace Newberg Well-Known Member

take a look in the front of some or the reloading manuals they explain what that is
    and show pics of what a case looks like befor it happens.It is caused by to many
    reloads..(over worked case)